Any Princess Brides marrying at sea out there?

halifaxgirl

I am also hoping to get a smooth cake with just ribbon around it and a topper that i supply, we'll see!

I tried to book a 'group function' through my TA, but she couldn't get me the time frame i wanted from Princess , so i had to go with TWE. I did have my TA book our meal at Sabatini's however.

I am also hoping to get a smooth cake with just ribbon around it and a topper that i supply, we'll see!

I tried to book a 'group function' through my TA, but she couldn't get me the time frame i wanted from Princess , so i had to go with TWE. I did have my TA book our meal at Sabatini's however.

You'll have to let me know how it turns out. It looks like we are getting married on the same Caribbean cruise, minus the month and boat, so I'll need details :) How soon should I have the TA look at the time for the "function"? We are getting married at 2.

Hello girls :) The countdown is on, hard to believe it's February already! I feel like I am forgetting to do some things, does anyone have a quick list or anything they almost forgot about?

One of the things I am trying to figure out is how to communicate the wedding day details. We don't have an 'invitation' per say, but I want to leave something in each room with the welcome letter teeling them the 'when and where' for the big day. The problem is, I won't have those specifics until I get my finalization confirmation, and even then, I feel like I won't know exactly how the day is going to look until we're on the cruise!

I've been working on my photo list -did anyone get a large group photo done? We have 24 guests joining us, I think I've seen group photos, but I don't want to waste time hearding people around.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hello girls :) The countdown is on, hard to believe it's February already! I feel like I am forgetting to do some things, does anyone have a quick list or anything they almost forgot about?

One of the things I am trying to figure out is how to communicate the wedding day details. We don't have an 'invitation' per say, but I want to leave something in each room with the welcome letter teeling them the 'when and where' for the big day. The problem is, I won't have those specifics until I get my finalization confirmation, and even then, I feel like I won't know exactly how the day is going to look until we're on the cruise!

I've been working on my photo list -did anyone get a large group photo done? We have 24 guests joining us, I think I've seen group photos, but I don't want to waste time hearding people around.

Hope everyone is doing well!

There were fourteen people in our group so our photographer took us to the stairs in the atrium. Normally, the photog. takes you straight to the bridge, but we told the WC we wanted a group shot so she assisted in herding the guests to the location (which is not far from the wedding chapel) With the bride and groom in the middle, he arranged everyone around us up and down the stairs and took the picture from the balcony across from us with us looking slightly upward. It turned out very nice. I think we could have gotten at least 6-8 more people in the shot, maybe even all 24 of your guests.

They do others of the B&G on the stairs and a stock pose is when the B&G are standing in the atrium (Deck 5) and the photographer looks down on them full-length from either the middle of the stairs or the top on Deck 6. I've seen other bridal couple photos in the gallery, and I they looked nice. Ours, however were a little odd, in that the photograph was all the way up on Deck 6 so we had to crane our necks to face up that high.

If the photographer asks you to walk outside on the Promenade Deck, do it! At first we thought the pictures would be too busy because that's the deck below the life boats and there are benches and door signs and things out there. They turned out to be our favorites, though. The overhead deck shields you from sun that is too bright, and much of the wind. The background actually seems to fade away, yet give the distinct impression that you were married at sea. They are the only ones that seemed casual and not formally posed and we loved them. Also, if you can get one at the rail at the back of the ship, the wake makes a pretty backdrop.

They will also take you (and your MOH/BM) to the bridge and take photos up there. You'll get photos of you with your ship's captain as well. I think that's why they want to do it right after the ceremony before all the other outside photos....the capt. wants to change out of his formal uniform as soon as he can, LOL! Our suite was on the starboard side and you can see our balcony in the background of one of our photos. If you're on the port side, you might ask to have your picture taken in front of the window (they're floor to ceiling windows)on that side, but I guess that might depend on the lighting at the time.

I am flabbergasted by the story I read here earlier about a photographer saying he was only responsible for the B&G. That's why it is so important to meet with the assigned photographer beforehand. If you get the impression that your photographer will have that attitude, demand another one. There are 8-10 photographers on board - they're the same ones that do formal night and casual night portraits. Our photographer was awesome and did everything we wanted. He had my list and went over it before we finished up. We had forgotten that we wanted one of us waving to the web-cam and he took us back to the wedding chapel to do that even though the wedding had been over for an hour.

As for leaving a gift bag/welcome letter in your guests rooms before they arrive, I suppose that could be done, since travel agents send sometimes champagne or fruit baskets, but embarkation day is a zoo and I wouldn't trust that the bags would get to the right rooms. More than likely, they will not show up until the stewards do the bed turn-down that night. That's when we got our travel agent's gift. In any case, the when/where of your wedding should definitely be known before you board. TWE will confirm the time and place in your final paperwork.

As far as how the 'day is going to look' you should probably just take the opportunity to relax and know that everything will happen just right. As long as you know about hair appointments and convey that to your ladies, trust that everyone will show up to the wedding on time. The ship takes care of setting up the chapel with the flowers, lighting the candles, arranging a table with your documents and the WC will call you to make sure you're ready, then send up an assistant to your room with your bouquet. If your groom goes to the chapel first to wait for your entrance, the boutinniere will be in the chapel.

VERY cute Michelle! Regarding your cake, did they ask you if you wanted frosting decorations on it, or did they just do it? I think I'm wanting no frosting decor on the cake, just a smooth finish. I think I want to have ribbon on it too, instead of flowers. I have a while (09.14.10) but wanted to ask you gals what you thought and if it's even possible.

I don't recall seeing any Princess cruise cakes with a smooth finish except for chocolate ganache...no fondant in sight. If you get a smooth finish, it might just be buttercream (very yummy - light and not too sweet) without any of the fluting, swirls or basketweave ribbon piping. The problem with that is that the ribbon might soak up the butter and look oily. My cake was just like Michelle's and another bride's that I saw on my cruise, only in different colors. It did look frilly and old fashioned, but that was the style of my wedding (Victorian/Edwardian). If you want a sleek, modern cake, you must tell them! Since you don't want the rose floral topper which you have already paid for, ask if they will add them (six roses!) to your bouquet. I loved the rose topper on my cake, and it made a lovely little fresh arrangement for our cabin for the next week.

Regarding ribbon for bouquets: If you want a certain color or sheen, bring your own. The ribbons I brought were too narrow for wrapping the stems and the florist used a dark blue paper-y ribbon that I didn't much care for. My colors were supposed to be pale lavender, pale blue, and ivory. The dark blue was a bit jarring and the quality was cheap but it was all that he had available in the blue/lavender family. Had I known, I would have brought my own lavender satin ribbon at least 2" wide and 10 yards long. Luckily, the florist did use the ribbons I brought and added them to the bow of my bouquet, so all was not lost! I still loved my bouquet with the lavender and blue silk hydrangeas added to the dozen roses.

I don't recall seeing any Princess cruise cakes with a smooth finish except for chocolate ganache...no fondant in sight. If you get a smooth finish, it might just be buttercream (very yummy - light and not too sweet) without any of the fluting, swirls or basketweave ribbon piping. The problem with that is that the ribbon might soak up the butter and look oily. My cake was just like Michelle's and another bride's that I saw on my cruise, only in different colors. It did look frilly and old fashioned, but that was the style of my wedding (Victorian/Edwardian). If you want a sleek, modern cake, you must tell them! Since you don't want the rose floral topper which you have already paid for, ask if they will add them (six roses!) to your bouquet. I loved the rose topper on my cake, and it made a lovely little fresh arrangement for our cabin for the next week.

Regarding ribbon for bouquets: If you want a certain color or sheen, bring your own. The ribbons I brought were too narrow for wrapping the stems and the florist used a dark blue paper-y ribbon that I didn't much care for. My colors were supposed to be pale lavender, pale blue, and ivory. The dark blue was a bit jarring and the quality was cheap but it was all that he had available in the blue/lavender family. Had I known, I would have brought my own lavender satin ribbon at least 2" wide and 10 yards long. Luckily, the florist did use the ribbons I brought and added them to the bow of my bouquet, so all was not lost! I still loved my bouquet with the lavender and blue silk hydrangeas added to the dozen roses.

Thank you SO much for the information. How did your cake look with the swirls and ribbon? My colors are black, white and green apple. So I was thinking a thick black ribbon with a smaller green ribbon in front of it would be nice. Let me know if anyone has any other ideas.

Regarding my plans for no flowers on top/ribbon, should I email TWE to tell them or wait until I talk to the planner on the boat?

Thank you SO much for the information. How did your cake look with the swirls and ribbon? My colors are black, white and green apple. So I was thinking a thick black ribbon with a smaller green ribbon in front of it would be nice. Let me know if anyone has any other ideas.

Regarding my plans for no flowers on top/ribbon, should I email TWE to tell them or wait until I talk to the planner on the boat?

There will be a space on the TWE forms to let them know what your cake choices are. I found, however, that it is best to re-confirm EVERYTHING when you get on board. You can tell them not to put the floral topper on at the same time you provide your own ribbons. You will discuss this with the ship's wedding coordinator, aka Asst. Purser. If he or she does not seem excited about your wedding, definitely ask for an appointment with the ship's cake decorator. They most definitely will not have black and apple green ribbon in their supply. What a striking color combination!

There will be a space on the TWE forms to let them know what your cake choices are. I found, however, that it is best to re-confirm EVERYTHING when you get on board. You can tell them not to put the floral topper on at the same time you provide your own ribbons. You will discuss this with the ship's wedding coordinator, aka Asst. Purser. If he or she does not seem excited about your wedding, definitely ask for an appointment with the ship's cake decorator. They most definitely will not have black and apple green ribbon in their supply. What a striking color combination!

I will. Thanks for all your help!

Thanks for all the specifics Kayakbride - so many things I haven't thought of. I will inquire about the ribbon on the cake getting oily for sure. I don't recall the flowers on the cake being part of the package, I thought they cost extra! I will take them if they are included. As well, what size cake is that each of you had? I ordered the second layer, as we are having 24 guests along with ourselves, so I wanted to make sure we had enough.

Regarding the ribbon for flowers, I am planning to get 2" wide, but 10 meters seems like a lot! I will need ribbon for my bouquet, my MOH's boquet and my 2 layer cake, I wonder how many meters I will need? yikes!

As well, thanks for the specifics on the photos - I have made notes and will defintiely meet with the photographer ahead of time.

Thanks for all the specifics Kayakbride - so many things I haven't thought of. I will inquire about the ribbon on the cake getting oily for sure. I don't recall the flowers on the cake being part of the package, I thought they cost extra! I will take them if they are included. As well, what size cake is that each of you had? I ordered the second layer, as we are having 24 guests along with ourselves, so I wanted to make sure we had enough.

Regarding the ribbon for flowers, I am planning to get 2" wide, but 10 meters seems like a lot! I will need ribbon for my bouquet, my MOH's boquet and my 2 layer cake, I wonder how many meters I will need? yikes!

As well, thanks for the specifics on the photos - I have made notes and will defintiely meet with the photographer ahead of time.

I was not expecting flowers on my cake and it was a pleasant surprise to see them there. I'm not sure what the actual size of my cake was, but it had 4 layers and the diameter was about 12"or more. It was bigger than I thought it would be. They cut 12 slices for the guests. The next day, room service brought us 4 slices and the day after that, we got the rest of the cake, 2 more large slices. If I were having 24 guests, I would order the extra layer also, just to be sure as the size of the cake could vary.

Our cake was exactly like Michelle's except for the color. Because it is pretty tall, I think you actually could get 24 slices out of it. They'd be thin slices but because they are tall and wide, plenty per serving. Funnyy story about our cake: There were just the two of us for dinner so we only had one piece from the cake. Late in the evening, after "lights out" IFKWIM, room service comes banging on the door with our cake and leftover champagne. We thought he'd go away if we didn't answer, but nope...he just kept banging on the door and shouting "Room service!"

Who did he think "wedding cake" was for, anyway? Certainly not honeymooners, eh? ;-)

Re: ribbon....more is better. The florist wraps it 'round and 'round the stems (unless you ask for the plastic cornucopia-type holder for an arrangment that cascades --kind of a 1980's look) and then makes bows, too. If the florist doesn't use it all, he'll give you the leftover to take home. Then you can use it for scrapbooking or giftwrapping or making ornaments for your first married year Christmas tree.

I'm very excited to see that our announcement was in the Bermuda Sun recently!! Another thing to reassure me that TWE are doing what they need to do :)

Kayakbride, I love your story about your leftover cake, too funny! I am going to stick with the 2 layer cake, and definitely get plenty of ribbon -great idea to use for scrapbook, etc.

Halifaxgirl,

I found our announcement in the Jan 29th listing. I am so glad you posted because I may not have thought to go back a month.

I am just doing last minute things now and wondering if someone would be willing to send me the list of pictures they put together to request from the photographer?

Thanks!

Jami

Hi Jami, glad you found your post in the Bermuda Sun, it is reassuring to see! Our wedding dates must be very close, we sail on march 20th and the wedding is March 25th.

Here is my photo list so far, still a work in progress:

Bride & Groom with…

- brides parents

- grooms parents

- bride and grooms parents

- grooms parents & brother

- MOH & BM

- Grooms immediate family

- Best friends

- All friends

- ALL

BRIDE with…

- MOH

- Parents

- girlfriends

GROOM with…

- BM

- brother

- guy friends

- Parents

- Parents & brother

Other:

Rings in flowers

Hands up close

Cake up close

Getting dressed – wedding gown

Gown hanging

Shoes up close

Groom – getting ready

We only have 1 person standing for each of us. Let me know if you think of any other pictures!

Cheers,

Sonya

Halifaxgirl,

I found our announcement in the Jan 29th listing. I am so glad you posted because I may not have thought to go back a month.

I am just doing last minute things now and wondering if someone would be willing to send me the list of pictures they put together to request from the photographer?

Thanks!

Jami

I'm getting married on the Emerald in September. Please let me know more about the ship when you get back. Congrats!

Hi Jami, glad you found your post in the Bermuda Sun, it is reassuring to see! Our wedding dates must be very close, we sail on march 20th and the wedding is March 25th.

Here is my photo list so far, still a work in progress:

Bride & Groom with…

-brides parents

-grooms parents

-bride and grooms parents

-grooms parents & brother

-MOH & BM

-Grooms immediate family

-Best friends

-All friends

-ALL

BRIDE with…

-MOH

-Parents

-girlfriends

GROOM with…

-BM

- brother

-guy friends

-Parents

-Parents & brother

Other:

Rings in flowers

Hands up close

Cake up close

Getting dressed – wedding gown

Gown hanging

Shoes up close

Groom – getting ready

We only have 1 person standing for each of us. Let me know if you think of any other pictures!

Cheers,

Sonya

Hi Sonya and Jami

Good list, however the ship's photographer will most likely not be available for your 'getting ready' photos. The photographer starts in the wedding chapel, so do plan to have a friend take those for you so you don't miss out on them. Be aware that the more time you spend taking photos with guests and wedding party, the fewer choices you will have for your own photos as a bride and groom. A good place for the MOH and Best Man photos will be when they take you up to the bridge. From the three weddings I saw on my cruise, they take the bridal couple and one other couple to the bridge. At our three weddings, the second couple were the witnesses, but I suppose they could be the parents of the bride if that was your choice.

You also won't get cake photos unless you've arranged for your reception to be immediately after the ceremony and it's within the hour timeframe of the contract. We managed to get ours because it was formal night and the photographer was in Sabatini's to take photos anyway. We specifically asked for a champagne toast and cake cutting photos and ended up with five shots to choose from. It was a totally different photographer from the wedding photographer, so be sure to go back to the photo/video shop and ask for them....they won't be in your wedding package. Also, you have to ask for the cake to be in the picture -- another couple who got married on our cruise thought they were getting a cake picture, but it was a closeup of their faces and the cake didn't show. They were very disappointed.

Our photographer did a still life of the marriage certificate and license signing table. The table, covered with a tablecloth, will have two lit candles and along with the certificates. We also had our handfasting tartan and our invitation to add to the still life. Another still life was our guest book, pen, and the Captain's hat. If you come to the chapel separately from your fiance, your bouquet will be in the chapel beforehand so the photographer can do the bouquet and your rings. (I had his ring with me, so that was not in the photo). Then the asst. purser brings your bouquet and escorts you down to the chapel.

During the time I was in the stateroom and my husband was in the chapel, the photographer also took pictures of him waiting, conferring with the Captain, and standing by the baby grand piano with the pianist playing.

It seems to me that the ship's wedding photographers view the event as a wedding for the bride and groom, not a reception for guests. They don't have time or staff to do the pre-wedding shots that seem so normal to those of us who see our friend's photos of shore-side weddings. The dress hanging and close-up of shoes is a relatively new trend, so it won't even be on their radar. Some of those photographers are there because they are interested in underwater or travel journalism photography and they're working the cruise to pay for their hobby. Working a wedding is not their main focus, so you have to be prepared to take some of those specialty shots yourself Have the MOH and/or Best Man keep your second list to ensure you get what you want.

Sorry to be so verbose, but I wish I had had details like these before my wedding last December. I hope you have a wonderful wedding!

Thanks a bunch, i do appreciate you being verbose, the only way for us to know is from others experiences. I am going on the assumption that the photographer won't get most of these shots, and have a number of back-up plans. I just got my own SLR camera and am fine-tuning my own skills to get some of the specific shots (such as dress hanging), but my MOH, and brother and father of the groom are all seasoned photographers, so I am hoping between everyone, i'll get all the ones i want! We are also doing a little 'trash the dress' the next morning at Princess Cays, which I can't wait for. :)

You girls have a been a great help, we leave 4 weeks from today!!

Thanks a bunch, i do appreciate you being verbose, the only way for us to know is from others experiences. I am going on the assumption that the photographer won't get most of these shots, and have a number of back-up plans. I just got my own SLR camera and am fine-tuning my own skills to get some of the specific shots (such as dress hanging), but my MOH, and brother and father of the groom are all seasoned photographers, so I am hoping between everyone, i'll get all the ones i want! We are also doing a little 'trash the dress' the next morning at Princess Cays, which I can't wait for. :)

You girls have a been a great help, we leave 4 weeks from today!!

I can't wait to see pictures and here how great it all went.

thank you so much Sonya for the list of pictures...helps me get started. I do hope to have a lot of candids too, and if those have to come from the guests I guess that is ok. I was reading a review of a cruise on board a ship recently by someone in the travel industry and they were saying that photos were just one of the downsides of having a wedding on board the ship. For his daughter who was getting married he 'hired' a photographer and just paid for him and his significant other's trip. For a 3-4 night get away wedding that may work, but for me the cheapest cabin I could get someone on my sailing is $1400 - not going to happen for me!

Sonya, btw we are leaving the 21st out of Fort Lauderdale and getting married the 23rd.

I uploaded a couple of pictures of my dress. It is traditional looking, but very light material and cool. The designer is Mori Lee.....can't find the style number at the moment. Also linked a picture of my bridesmaid dresses. Took me a long time to find that color!...Ocean Blue! I just love them. http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/2742/?colorid=642

420280973_DressFront.jpg.f0286959dda145d1bc8289f5d44e6074.jpg

807628824_DressBack.jpg.6979274042b698e60d16ed5c70ceec18.jpg

Actually, accepting the fact that my photos probably aren't going to be amazing was the hardest thing for me to accept when we decided on a cruise wedding! I know there will be lots of nice photos both from the on-board photographer and my friends, so I am ok with that now :) I would have LOVED to pay for one of my favourite local photographers to join us, but certainly can't afford that!

Jami, have you gotten your final confirmation call yet? I ahven't and we sail in 23 days, think i will start tracking them down now.

I LOVE your bridesmaid choice Jami, that colour is amazing! I went for the Colbalt blue, i only have 1 friend standing, and the dress fits her to a tee. (looks MUCH better on my MOH than the modal in the pic, I think!) http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?style=7015

My dresss: wanted a lighter material, chiffon, although the train is longer than i'd hoped, but I love it :)

Maggie Sottero is one of my favourites, and she has a whole line of desitination dresses that are gorgeous, I think!

IMG_4378.jpg.fd2d12d1fc59afa46560905e30d60cd8.jpg

IMG_4379.jpg.71aa61146af4109c76a3c049773c2965.jpg

Well, I had to call them myself, but I spoke to the finalization coordinator and confirmed all our details today! We are only 20 days from sailing, so I thought I'd check in, lol.

On another note, my dress has STILL not arrived, and she says not until next wednesday, I am getting very anxious!!!

TWE said my onboard coordinator will be Joy (Crown Princess), does her name ring a bell to anyone? I'm sure I've seen her name on this message board somewhere.

Did any of you use the onboard dry cleaning whatever to press your gown?

I'm a little worried about traveling with my gown (has a train etc), because we're getting married in the afternoon on Day 2 of the cruise... i'm worried there isnt enough time to get it pressed?

Archived