Change of itineary two hours after booking

rosie#1

Hi,

Has anyone experienced a complete change of itinerary on a cruise they just booked? I booked a cruise last night and the itinerary changed from the Western Caribbean to the Southern less than two hours later. To make things worse I booked it using the early saver fare. I want to cancel because the cruise I booked no longer exists. Is Carnival good about these kinds of issues? The TA websites are still showing the old cruise. My TA has to contact them this morning.

Thanks,

Technically, you would be assessed a $50 per person change fee, but in this case I think you would get an exception.

When booking the new ship, if the rate were different, you would have to accept the rate at the time you switch. Your deposit amount would not change.

That's really sucks. I have no idea what they will do, ES does not offer many options. Carnival's contract does give them the right to change ports but to change the whole itineary just doesn't seem right. I would think they should give you the option to cancel without penalty since it just happened. Good luck and be sure to let us know what happens.

If the itinerary changes you have 24 hours to cancel, but they will only give you credit toward another cruise, you dont get a full refund... but you can cancel.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Port_Cancellation_Policy.aspx

ITINERARY CHANGE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:

If Carnival has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary it will promptly – upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct guest booking.

If the itinerary change is for reasons within Carnival’s exclusive control, guests will have the opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty prior to sailing and within 24 hours of the guest notification, and in such an instance, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit. In the event a guest does not cancel the cruise on a timely basis, no refund of any kind will be available.

be sure you cancel within the 24 hours you are allowed.

For some reason a lot of booking agents dont know that the pax is allowed to cancel and dont advise them of it in time ... I hear they will enforce the 24 hours. Doesnt matter when you book ... even if you had booked earlier, you still might not want your ports change. If Carnival changes them from what you booked, once its official, you have 24 hours to cancel the cruise.

You HAVE the option of cancelling the cruise and receiving a full refund (not a credit) within 24 hours of you being notified of the change. So, if you already know, and you don't want to go on the new itinerary, CANCEL it immediately! Start from scratch

Also, if you booked through a TA or an online site beside's Carnival's, they sometimes don't show the new itineraries right away. For example, one website that I use to verify interline rates is STILL showing the Carnival Fantasy departing from Mobile in 2010, when the Fantasy will be sailing out of Charleston!

Hi,

Has anyone experienced a complete change of itinerary on a cruise they just booked? I booked a cruise last night and the itinerary changed from the Western Caribbean to the Southern less than two hours later. To make things worse I booked it using the early saver fare. I want to cancel because the cruise I booked no longer exists. Is Carnival good about these kinds of issues? The TA websites are still showing the old cruise. My TA has to contact them this morning.

Thanks,

Here's Carnival's rules about itinerary changes.....you can cancel if you wish:

ITINERARY CHANGE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:

If Carnival has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary it will promptly – upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct guest booking.

If the itinerary change is for reasons within Carnival’s exclusive control, guests will have the opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty prior to sailing and within 24 hours of the guest notification, and in such an instance, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit. In the event a guest does not cancel the cruise on a timely basis, no refund of any kind will be available.

Due to the nature of a cruise vacation, itinerary changes sometimes become necessary for safety, weather or other reasons beyond the control of Carnival. If the itinerary change is for reasons beyond Carnival’s exclusive control, including but not limited to safety, security, weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of guests or crew, late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns or problems not known to Carnival, itinerary changes consistent with U.S. State Department travel warnings / advisories or other applicable US or foreign governmental advisories, guests will not be provided any compensation. Guests electing to cancel will be subject to the standard cancellation terms.

We had our 10/31 Liberty itin changed a few months ago, and the original itin was one of the reasons I booked. (2 ports got added --ones I had just been to in May -- and St. Maarten was removed which really made me mad!) I learned of the change on this board--not from the TA I used for this trip. But we got the time off, plane tickets to Miami, etc. so we're going anyway.

Good to know it can be changed if you are properly notified and respond in a timely way (24 hrs)!.

I wonder how Carnival monitors exactly when each pax receives the notification. I haven't received anything from my TA yet on your Nov 2010 cruise that just got changed up.

24 hours doesn't start until I receive that notice from the TA correct?

We had our 10/31 Liberty itin changed a few months ago, and the original itin was one of the reasons I booked. (2 ports got added --ones I had just been to in May -- and St. Maarten was removed which really made me mad!) I learned of the change on this board--not from the TA I used for this trip. But we got the time off, plane tickets to Miami, etc. so we're going anyway.

Good to know it can be changed if you are properly notified and respond in a timely way (24 hrs)!.

We're on this cruise too but I was mostly happy that the itinerary was changed. I really wanted more time San Juan and I guess I'll just have to do another cruise to get to St. Maarten!:p

We received a call from our TA saying Carnival has changed the itin for our cruise this past March. We'd booked 4 months prior on the Valor "Eastern Caribbean" going to the Bahamas, St. Marteen and St. Thomas. Itin was changed to the "Western Caribbean" going to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman and Belize. Unfortunately, in our group of 10, six of us had already purchased non-refundable air (not through the cruiseline). Initially I was bummed but decided not let it put a damper on the excitement of the much anticipated cruise. Happy to report it was one of best cruises I've taken.

I was able to cancel. It is a good thing I logged on to Carnival's website. It is also good to know they will let you cancel even with an early saver fare. I lost some sleep, but now it is time to find a new cruise. Thank you everyone.

I wonder how Carnival monitors exactly when each pax receives the notification. I haven't received anything from my TA yet on your Nov 2010 cruise that just got changed up.

24 hours doesn't start until I receive that notice from the TA correct?

They count from when its posted on the Carnival site ... so if its been a while, you are past the 24 hours.

They would for sure not wait until a TA who might not be on the ball would tell you it changed ... not Carnival's problem. If you TA didnt tell you in a timely manner, take it up with your TA.

I was able to cancel. It is a good thing I logged on to Carnival's website. It is also good to know they will let you cancel even with an early saver fare. I lost some sleep, but now it is time to find a new cruise. Thank you everyone.

sorry you lost sleep over this ... ... good you got it cancelled.

Hi,

Thanks,

If your TA is any good it will be taken care of.....but you do know about something called "the cooling off rule" right/ I am 100% positive that other posters here will dis agree with me but....when ever a consumer makes a purchase and /or signs a contract......they get 72 hours to change their minds...at no cost.

So now all the lawyers and just about everyone else here will comment.....but you are entitled to all your money back as you are dissatisfied as well as it is not the service you contracted for...it is simple as that.

Archived