Fortress of the Bear and Sea Otter Quest

belle836

Has anybody been on this excursion out of Sitka? If so did you enjoy it or not?

Also in Sitka what about the 4x4 Wilderness Adventure? Everything I have read about it tells me that it is just riding in a 4 wheeler through the forest and up and down the mountains but the last ltrip description ine says participants should be in good physical condition which at my age is something I can only remember.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these activities? Any information would be appreciated.

Hi Belle - if you mean the Rhino 4X4 excursion in Sitka, yes, we've done it and LOVED it!!!! You take a small 6pak boat to the island, where you board your vehicle (try to get in the last one - its so much fun to bring up the rear - gunning it thru the puddles!:D). You have helmets on w/2-way communication with the guide in the first vehicle. You drive along old logging roads thru various terrains - rainforest with the mossy trees and huge roots, thru meadows and by salmon swollen streams, out to a black sand beach. It was such fun and have recommended it to our friends, who have gone and enjoyed it just as much as we did. The guides were great, the scenery amazing, and we saw lots of sea otters, eagles and even a seal in one of the waterways thru the estuary section of the island.

Sorry, can't help w/the Fortress of the Bear - haven't been there, though when viewing its website, it looks like a small zoo-type place where they are rehabbing some bears in what can only be described as an oversized concrete tank they are trying to make look like natural habitat. I don't know if its all that interesting - even though I'm sure the non-profit group is doing the best it can under the circumstances. Go to Sitka's website, and you can see their attractions, excursions, and suggestions for time in port.

Sitka is GORGEOUS! Our favorite port (so far....) - its a very picturesque village with Mt. Edgecomb in the back drop of a harbor studded with tiny islands. Quaint little town with a Russian influence. Go to the Raptor Center if you get time - amazing place that rehabs eagles and other birds of prey. Seeing those magnificent birds up close and personal is quite an experience.

Alaska if an unforgettable place that calls you back again and again. In fact, we're going back for the third time next May 31st on HAL's new 14 day roundtrip Seattle that includes the "new" ports of Anchorage, Homer, and Kodiak. Woo-hoo! Can't wait!:p

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for that response. I don't think I was very clear about when this was to happen. Actually sailing with HAL on ms OOsterdam on May 23rd 7day RT from Seattle. Excursions are the current discussion topic for us. I would love to do the 4x4 but walking either uphill or for further than 200 yards approx. is not an option. If all I have to do is ride a "kidney-thumping" 4x4 then the trip is definitely on the table.

Thanks again ;)

The Fortress of the Bears, does not get good reviews. You should be able to do a search of Bearbait's informative posts. Wildlife is a highlight here via boat tour, and you only accessable puffin rookery, for round trip Alaska cruisers.

So I emailed the tour operator of the 4x4 Rhino tour in Ketchikan with a specific question about their opinion of the wear and tear on the body. Their response was to the effect that it is very rough on the back and joints so I marked that off my list and opted instead for the more sedate Sea Otter Quest & Raptor Center. Does anyone know if HAL uses Allen Marine Tours? If not would you know who the tour operator is?

Thanks in advance for the information.:)

I know all of this is in the wrong thread since it specifically states 2009 planning. Is there a thread yet for 2010 planning?

Allen Marine did the tours I went on too, back in 1994 and 1999 (???) -- I need to get back to Sitka :)

There are some private operators who get good recommendations on this board, too.

I was just looking at Harv&Marv's site because of the smaller number of passengers. While looking through the site they basically said if you have already been on a whale watching trip (I have) and if you're unable to walk 1/2 mile to the boat from the van then this tour is proably not for you. So their tour is not for me. Guess I'll stay with the HAL tour:confused:

I was just looking at Harv&Marv's site because of the smaller number of passengers. While looking through the site they basically said if you have already been on a whale watching trip (I have) and if you're unable to walk 1/2 mile to the boat from the van then this tour is proably not for you. So their tour is not for me. Guess I'll stay with the HAL tour:confused:

I'm confused - Harv & Marv do whale watching out of Juneau. The Sea Otter Quest is out of Sitka. ???????

Guess I'll stay with the HAL tour:confused:

Search this thread for Sea Otter Quest. You'll find several excellent reviews on the Allen Marine trips. If I remember correctly, MercedMike posted a very thorough review of the ship's tour (all cruise lines use Allen Marine). I think you'll be happy with the info you find! :)

btw - it is my understanding that the ship tours (through Allen Marine) pick you up at the ship (no need to tender into shore for the tour). This is an added value in my book!

The benefit with an independent tour operator out of Sitka, is the ability to request a trip to St. Lazaria IF you want to see puffins. The ship tours, do not "always" go there and you have no input on the route. This is the only accessable rookery for Inside Passage cruise ship visitors. And only likely area to see them.

The benefit with an independent tour operator out of Sitka, is the ability to request a trip to St. Lazaria IF you want to see puffins. The ship tours, do not "always" go there and you have no input on the route. This is the only accessable rookery for Inside Passage cruise ship visitors. And only likely area to see them.

I would highly suggest you contact Capt. Davey of the Ester G in Sitka www.puffinsandwhales.com We had the BEST excursion with him. He is very knowledgeable about the Sitka Sound and only takes a max of 6 passengers on his boat. He will go out to St. Lazaria if you would like. He actually asks you what you are most interested in seeing - eagles, whales, puffins, otters, etc. and then provides the most wonderful day seeing what interests you. You won't be sorry if you get to book him. Then, if you have time, stop at the Raptor Center on your own.

I would highly suggest you contact Capt. Davey of the Ester G in Sitka www.puffinsandwhales.com We had the BEST excursion with him. He is very knowledgeable about the Sitka Sound and only takes a max of 6 passengers on his boat. He will go out to St. Lazaria if you would like. He actually asks you what you are most interested in seeing - eagles, whales, puffins, otters, etc. and then provides the most wonderful day seeing what interests you. You won't be sorry if you get to book him. Then, if you have time, stop at the Raptor Center on your own.

I totally agree with this post. The best tour we have ever taken on the water in Alaska was with Captain Davey. I am sure if you email him he will email you back with information for 2010. I emailed back and forth with him a lot prior to our tour.

Has anybody been on this excursion out of Sitka? If so did you enjoy it or not?

Also in Sitka what about the 4x4 Wilderness Adventure? Everything I have read about it tells me that it is just riding in a 4 wheeler through the forest and up and down the mountains but the last ltrip description ine says participants should be in good physical condition which at my age is something I can only remember.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these activities? Any information would be appreciated.

I was in Sitka and we didn't book any excursions on the ship. When you arrive at the pier, lots of excursions were offered. We did a city tour, and wilderness adventure for 50 each. Excursion took us to the totem poles, a drive around town, a chocolat factory, Silver and last but not least we went to the Fortress of the bear. IT was really amazing. I loved the excursion with great stories of Sitka, and lots of inside stories. Very little walking had to be done and we travel in a comfortable van. If I ever went to Sitka again, I'd do this excursion again in heartbeat

Cindy

• 4 weeks later...

We did Sea Otter Quest in Sitka in June 08 and loved it! Saw many whales, otters, eagles, eagle nests. Great boat and staff -- lots of good viewing seats inside or up top -- bathroom -- snacks served. Captain was very knowledgeable about the area and the wildlife -- we learned a lot. He also made a great effort to find us some whales -- we saw plenty. Plus the scenery was magnificent in itself! You won't regret this excursion. :)

The word is for 2010 that the venders are not going to be so close to the passengers on the docks and will be kept in a separate area. The guess is that the cruise lines don't like the competition.

Best thing is to do your own research and bookings from home and not to count on making deals on the dock.

Archived