Is QM2 For Us - I'd Really Appreciate Input

Hblanton

I think its pretty clear that QM2 is not for me. To those who don't understand my distaste for dressing up on vacation, I think we can just chalk it up to different strokes. I can't fathom what pleasure people get from getting dressed up. I used to have a very nice wardrobe (we lost EVERYTHING in a house fire last year so we had to concisouly decide what to replace.) Now I have one classic Brooks Bos. dark suit for funerals and the like (sadly used already) and a few really nice sports coats.

Clearly the world generally, and crusing in particularly, has voted with me and against forced formality. That said, I certainly don't begrudge you a vestage. There is a place for Beef Wellington, Cherries Jubilie, tuxedos, two and a half hour meals with strangers, and other icons of a time long past. Unfortunately for me its on the only regular transatlatnic passage.

Somoene hit the nail on the head - I was hoping it would be reasonable to use the QM2 as a really, really nice ferry. In fact, I take ferry's whenever I can and always enjoy them (even a nasty old bucket from Italy to Croatia last year.) Given the time and money its been just an amazing way to start month long trips in Europe. The transatlatnic repositioning cruises of other lines are a spectacular bargain and meet our needs quite well. But as I mentioned they are 2 weeks rather than 1 so for this trip I thought we might try something new.

But taking QM2 would obviously entail either our making more adjustments than we would like, or making other people unhappy or uncomfortable. Life is too short, and there are too many options, to go with either of these.

So I think I'll invest instead in a RT business class flight this tme, and leave it at that.

All the best.

Now that's a real pity. Quite why you would take any notice of what a bunch of strangers say on this or any other forum on a subjective topic like this I don't know but I think you should reconsider. Use the big black ferry.

Gari

I think its pretty clear that QM2 is not for me. To those who don't understand my distaste for dressing up on vacation, I think we can just chalk it up to different strokes. I can't fathom what pleasure people get from getting dressed up. I used to have a very nice wardrobe (we lost EVERYTHING in a house fire last year so we had to concisouly decide what to replace.) Now I have one classic Brooks Bos. dark suit for funerals and the like (sadly used already) and a few really nice sports coats.

Clearly the world generally, and crusing in particularly, has voted with me and against forced formality. That said, I certainly don't begrudge you a vestage. There is a place for Beef Wellington, Cherries Jubilie, tuxedos, two and a half hour meals with strangers, and other icons of a time long past. Unfortunately for me its on the only regular transatlatnic passage.

Somoene hit the nail on the head - I was hoping it would be reasonable to use the QM2 as a really, really nice ferry. In fact, I take ferry's whenever I can and always enjoy them (even a nasty old bucket from Italy to Croatia last year.) Given the time and money its been just an amazing way to start month long trips in Europe. The transatlatnic repositioning cruises of other lines are a spectacular bargain and meet our needs quite well. But as I mentioned they are 2 weeks rather than 1 so for this trip I thought we might try something new.

But taking QM2 would obviously entail either our making more adjustments than we would like, or making other people unhappy or uncomfortable. Life is too short, and there are too many options, to go with either of these.

So I think I'll invest instead in a RT business class flight this tme, and leave it at that.

All the best.

What a great attitude. You sound like you'd be a great person to share a cruise ship with (or a transatlantic crossing). Enjoy your trip!

I agree with Gari. After all, its your money, vacation, etc. Having done a TA in April where we dressed up and enjoyed it, the only people we noticed who were not wearing black tie were a few couples who were more in fancy dress rather than than less formal/casual. After all, dressing as Queen Victoria is more likely to get more comments than dressing in a sports coat!

As for bridge, reading, day-dreaming, - the QM2 is perfect. We spent a couple of hours each morning in the Commodore, coffee at hand, book to be read. Bliss.

Please consider taking the "big black ferry" - she's worth it.

Really? :confused:

You had me fooled. Of course that was a year ago. ;)

I think there is a compliment in there somewhere. Yes, I am another year older, and none the wiser!:D

@Hblanton - as others said, take the "big black ferry." We, the Cunard lunatics, give you permission (well, so far it appears we do, but I am sure some will be along shortly with another opinion). Take one of your nice jackets (dark preferably) and a tie and get yourself on her! You will not make anyone (worth worrying about) unhappy or uncomfortable, so long as you don't crow about how you are NOT wearing a tuxedo/suit. Most folk will not even bat an eye, and those that do are not worth your time and attention. Your questions and responses show us all that you are not setting out to "flaunt" the dress code and in fact have (too much?) concern for your fellow passengers' feelings. Just do it! Who knows, for your second trip (and there will be one!) you might even decide to wear a black bow tie (self tied, natch)!:cool:

I think there is a compliment in there somewhere. Yes, I am another year older, and none the wiser!:D

@Hblanton - as others said, take the "big black ferry." We, the Cunard lunatics, give you permission (well, so far it appears we do, but I am sure some will be along shortly with another opinion). Take one of your nice jackets (dark preferably) and a tie and get yourself on her! You will not make anyone (worth worrying about) unhappy or uncomfortable, so long as you don't crow about how you are NOT wearing a tuxedo/suit. Most folk will not even bat an eye, and those that do are not worth your time and attention. Your questions and responses show us all that you are not setting out to "flaunt" the dress code and in fact have (too much?) concern for your fellow passengers' feelings. Just do it! Who knows, for your second trip (and there will be one!) you might even decide to wear a black bow tie (self tied, natch)!:cool:

Yes it was definitely a compliment.... I thought you were a bit younger than my 41 years :)

I also agree with your post, as well as Betty's, about giving the big black ferry a try. If a back woods mountain dweller like me can sail a few crossings on the QM2 I would imagine anyone can ;)

Yes it was definitely a compliment.... I thought you were a bit younger than my 41 years :)

Nope, turning 43 next month. But thank you for that.;)

I also agree with your post, as well as Betty's, about giving the big black ferry a try. If a back woods mountain dweller like me can sail a few crossings on the QM2 I would imagine anyone can ;)

One regret I have is that I never got my father onboard. He too was a mountain man, but cleaned up good. I guess that came from being the son of the mayor!:rolleyes: I am certain that he would have been spinning tall tales and dancing and singing the night away in the Golden Lion. Happy birthday Dad. RIP.

I do hope you re-consider HBlanton. I don't think Cunard would be too pleased if they knew they had lost a potential customer due to a few remarks on a message board.

From Cunard's website:

Elegant Casual:

Jacket, no tie required for men (no jeans or shorts). Dress, skirt or trousers for ladies.

So in fact your choice of a jacket and no tie would not only be okay for the Kings Court buffet, but also for Elegant Casual evenings in the Britannia Restaurant.

Go for it I say. You won't be the only one.

I am sure it was more a function of your Dad's ability rather than any political influence.... our mayor lives next door to me and I can't picture him on a Cunard ship. He's more the log cabin houseboat type ;)

Like you, I wish my Dad had the chance to sail on the QM2. While he is not deceased, his Alzheimer's is too advanced for such an unfamiliar environment. It would be a big change from the liberty ship he took when coming to the US for the first time after WW2.

OK, please I don't want to seem too direct, but hey - it's only one week on one of the largest, stablest, and fastest ships - relax at your leisure . Food should not be an issue because if you're spending a whole month in E. Europe - you will not come remotely close to familiar west coast cuisine. You should find the whole crossing wonderful.

I've been reading these posts and I think, perhaps, everyone has missed the point.

I'm mid-40's, seasoned traveler and was with my husband on a September TA. We love the QM2 and especially enjoy the formality. My suggestion to the OP is if he wants to control the atmosphere of "There is a place for Beef Wellington, Cherries Jubilie, tuxedos, two and a half hour meals with strangers, and other icons of a time long past." please stay home. I can't tell you how many times I've been in London where I've seen Americans who insist upon their level of informality imposing themselves in places where that level of informality just is not accepted or inappropriate. (I'm very American-so I have the right to criticise)

One GREAT joy of traveling is to learn to appreciate other cultures, styles and ways of life. I love this board and how many wonderful details about the Cunard ships are lovingly chewed over. Good for the OP who has the good sense to ask before making a booking. Not so good for the almost petulant followup by the OP that not everyone said his take on the atmosphere of the ship would be welcome.

My suggestion to the OP would be to at least consider amending his OWN requirements and think again how lovely it might be to experience a way of life that's definately not an "icon of a time long past."

I've been reading these posts and I think, perhaps, everyone has missed the point.

I'm mid-40's, seasoned traveler and was with my husband on a September TA. We love the QM2 and especially enjoy the formality. My suggestion to the OP is if he wants to control the atmosphere of "There is a place for Beef Wellington, Cherries Jubilie, tuxedos, two and a half hour meals with strangers, and other icons of a time long past." please stay home. I can't tell you how many times I've been in London where I've seen Americans who insist upon their level of informality imposing themselves in places where that level of informality just is not accepted or inappropriate. (I'm very American-so I have the right to criticise)

One GREAT joy of traveling is to learn to appreciate other cultures, styles and ways of life. I love this board and how many wonderful details about the Cunard ships are lovingly chewed over. Good for the OP who has the good sense to ask before making a booking. Not so good for the almost petulant followup by the OP that not everyone said his take on the atmosphere of the ship would be welcome.

My suggestion to the OP would be to at least consider amending his OWN requirements and think again how lovely it might be to experience a way of life that's definately not an "icon of a time long past."

Your first post has set a high standard. Keep up the good work!

My suggestion to the OP is if he wants to control the atmosphere of "There is a place for Beef Wellington, Cherries Jubilie, tuxedos, two and a half hour meals with strangers, and other icons of a time long past." please stay home.

Or, try something a little less formal.... no need to condemn the poster to a hermit's life of no vacations at all. ;)

I don't think anyone is suggesting the OP be banished from vacations. the OP asked a question and Cunard is obviously not for him. It is what it is, and should not be changed for some person who can not put a jacket on to go to dinner, there are other ships for that, try one of those. I find it rude of those who board knowing the expectations on dress and disregard them. No other ship is as clear about dress than the QM2

I’ve been a member of cruise critic for less than 1 year. This has to be the most discussed topic on this board. The first few dozen times or so I felt that people could do whatever they wanted. But as time goes on, and it’s not even that much time, I have moved clearly into the fashionista camp.

I don't get the "I don't want to dress up" posts. It's not like you're being asked to do something that goes against your moral or religious beliefs. People treat it like it’s the equivalent of the “conscientious objector” clause that allows people to opt out of military service during wars. We’re talking about one dark suit, 1 tie and a few white shirts. Even 1 white shirt if you do laundry while playing bridge. When you get England, throw it into a box and ship it home. It seems to me that people spend more effort trying to figure out ways to maneuver around the ship in casual clothes than it would take to pop a suit on for a few hours a day. Men’s Warehouse – basic black suit - $150. Deal with it.

Now that's one of the best, funniest posts I've read in quite a while. Dreamgirl1's post was pretty good too. (Just an aside too, my wife is 38, I'm 47, so it's not like we're ancient fossils (yet). Those of us who like Cunard's formality are not Edwardian throwbacks who are going to scowl at the passengers in bermuda shorts on the QM2 (well, okay, I may *think* it, but I would never actually scowl out loud, visibly). We simply like that style so that's the cruise/crossing we buy. Others prefer something else, so they should buy something else. It's not a deep social thing, geeze. On the other hand, my wife and I do still tell the story about the couple in gym sweat-suits on a formal night on a Princess New England cruise, who plopped down next to a very old federal judge and his wife who reminded us of Thurston Howell III and his wife on Gilligan's Island. That was one hilarious dinner.

DreamGirl1 and Q-Step, I don't expect either of you are on the October 23 westbound sailing this week, but if you are, the first round is on me. I'll be the guy with the onyx studs in my tux shirt.)

Hi to Karl & Heidi Thoennes!

Thanks for the kind words! My husband and I wish we were on the October 23rd crossing but no, we're back in the real world to make enough money for the next TA!

Have a great trip and a cold one on the Clarke's!

Dreamgirl

I don't think anyone is suggesting the OP be banished from vacations. the OP asked a question and Cunard is obviously not for him. It is what it is, and should not be changed for some person who can not put a jacket on to go to dinner, there are other ships for that, try one of those. I find it rude of those who board knowing the expectations on dress and disregard them. No other ship is as clear about dress than the QM2

The OP did not say he wouldn't wear a jacket. He quite clearly says

"Will I feel out of place if we skip what I understand to be 3 formal nights and just put on a sports coat and eat at the buffet".

The answer to that is he would be fine.

Someone on here last week posted they would not be wearing a jacket as they are travelling light and would be eating in the buffet every night and no-one batted an eyelid.

On my cruise on the QM2 in July someone was wearing shorts and a t-shirt in the buffet at 7.00pm on a formal night.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the OP be banished from vacations.

Perhaps, but when I read "stay home", I find it a bit harsh and overboard.... as if to suggest the OP has such poor social skills they should not be out in public.

The OP did not say he wouldn't wear a jacket. He quite clearly says

"Will I feel out of place if we skip what I understand to be 3 formal nights and just put on a sports coat and eat at the buffet".

The answer to that is he would be fine.

There is a tendency among some to discourage anyone who questions any aspect of the dress code from sailing Cunard, even if they have every intention of following it.

To dress or not to dress that is the question

Whether ‘tis better in the end to don

The tie and jacket of Cunard decorum

Or to rebel against outrageous fashion

And by opposing flaunt it? To coat: to tie;

No more; and by that act to say we end

The customsof a hundred elegant years

That Cunard is heir to, ‘ist a consummation

Devoutly to be wished?

An Iambic Gari.

Was in Shreve's today - was reminded of the cup given to Samuel by the people of Boston.

The whole reason for crossing with Cunard and QM2 is history and what a rich history.

Should one wish to cross (the only way as Mr Maxtone-Graham put it) QM2 is the only game in town - she is the only OCEAN LINER in service in the world.

QV and QE are just tarted up versions of the HAL Vista Class ships (sorry folks, but true) - I could say something about pitt bulls and lipstick but I won't (might offend a demograhic)

I would say to the OP go for it - take QM2 - she is unique - they said QE2 was the last of the breed - Mickey gave us one more - enjoy - the destination IS the ship!

Go for the experience of QM2 - that's why I did Concorde on both BA and AF when I could (AF had a better meal service but BA won on service - forget about the meal).

I will now get off my soapbox:D

On the other hand, my wife and I do still tell the story about the couple in gym sweat-suits on a formal night on a Princess New England cruise, who plopped down next to a very old federal judge and his wife who reminded us of Thurston Howell III and his wife on Gilligan's Island. That was one hilarious dinner.

PLEASE tell us more, please :)

All the best.

Mmmm... I think reading between the lines the OP had made his own mind up from the outstart. Most posters have been very helpful and supportive (must be mellowing) but the 'adjustments' would be too much.:(

As others have said, it is such an experience - for many- the only way to travel and Bridge, which seems to be important to him, is, I am told ,very well catered for, unlike on some of the repositioning cruise ships.

However, each to his own, and with a long holiday in Eastern Europe too, there is perhaps no requirement to arrive after a relaxing wonderful journey- albeit on a 'ferry' :D

Archived