Great Panama cruise on Infinity -- lousy luggage service...

seafun

Several of us C.C.ers just completed a great cruise last weekend on the Infinity. Several of us are working on reviews as we settle back into "real"" life. I'm sure you'll see reviews of the Sep 25 Infinity Seattle to Fort Lauderdale coming soon.

I LOVED my Infinity cruise through the Panama Canal cruise, but I'm peeved. I signed up for Luggage Express, or Luggage Valet, whatever it's called. You put your bags out as usual the last night, then Celebrity takes them to the airport for you and you pick them up at your airport.

Well, one of them didn't make it somehow -- my flight left at 5:00pm from FLL, so they had plenty of time. But mistakes can happen -- no problem.

My displeasure is that they didn't call me for a day and a half, and then just to say they'd "found" my bag and would UPS it to me. Well, they sent it GROUND to Seattle, so I still haven't received it yet, 6 days later!

Not happy here -- lots of souvenirs, toiletries, clothes, accessories, etc are presumably on the way home, expected on the 20th! Dirty humid clothes could be pretty nasty by then, and I've done without a lot of necessities I had to replace. No letter, no explanation from them, just some kid in the warehouse saying "sorry." Unacceptable customer service from a great line like Celebrity, and a horrible last taste of a wonderful cruise..

Any ideas on how best to address this? Thanks! :)

This happened to several others also on our cruise who still don't have their luggage. Hope you get yours soon! I can't imagine the frustration.

But on the brighter side, at least it was going home

Sounds like luggage express is not worth the extra money. Linda is still fighting to get back the extra per bag she paid for luggage express as well as get her luggage.

Well, one of them didn't make it somehow -- my flight left at 5:00pm from FLL, so they had plenty of time. But mistakes can happen -- no problem.

My displeasure is that they didn't call me for a day and a half, and then just to say they'd "found" my bag and would UPS it to me. Well, they sent it GROUND to Seattle, so I still haven't received it yet, 6 days later!

Any ideas on how best to address this? Thanks! :)

I would contact them and at least demand the $$$ you spent for the service to be refunded.

Besides that, try to get over it and concentrate on how great your cruise was so you can have fond memories of your cruise.

Hope This Helps.

Hi Tom

I agree we had a FANTASTIC cruise!!! So sorry about your luggage, what a terrible way to end a cruise! just be sure to wear a face mask when it does get to your home and you open it:eek:!! BTW, how's the house hunt going? Getting off the ship in Ft Lauderdale was a disaster and mass confusion. I did'nt mind the two hour wait to get off the ship (who wants to leave anyway LOL) but it was a real mess once you got into the terminal building and even more so out on the street:(:confused:

Lots of people on our cruise are complaining about the food in the MDR. I thought it was pretty good, maybe I just ordered the right thing or it was the thought that I did not have to cook it or do the dishes that made it better, don't know. I had main seating, maybe that had something to do with it also.

We had a huge problem with the people in the photo area. Long story, lets just say that they were VERY rude and what I would say was totally NOT in keeping with Celebrity standards. The bottom line is that they lied to us! My DH is composing a letter to the higher ups detailing this whole unprofessional behavior! Any one else have any problems with them? This happened on the last day.

I enjoyed meeting all of you and we (Jim and I , and Cathy and Chris) had a fantastic time!

I booked another cruise when we were onboard. I'm taking my DD to Alaska for her 30th b-day. Infinity, June 11-18.

Melody:D

There are rules and regulations regarding lost or delayed luggage and compensation. The problem you face is WHO lost or delayed the luggage. Celebrity is not held by the same rules as the airlines. This is certainly a difficult question.

I fly frequently and when my luggage gets delayed or lost, I have found the airlines to be vary accommodating as they will pass my bag interline to get it to me quickly by air and ground to the airport and the destination (i.e. taxi to my hotel or home). The compensation does not matter if you are in-bound or outbound.

Your bag should have never been delivered by UPS but rather by hand.

I just finished writing Celebrity a letter... :rolleyes:

Sunday Oct 18, 2009

Dear Celebrity,

A week ago today I got off the Infinity after a very pleasant cruise through the Panama Canal, from my home in Seattle to Fort Lauderdale.

I enjoyed myself very much, spent a lot of money, including the single supplement to enjoy an outside cabin by myself (3103). The service throughout the cruise was excellent, and even though there were some problems with the food, I gave the cruise excellent marks.

Disembarkation was a mess, supposedly due to customs problems, and we were quite delayed getting off the ship, forcing the cancellation of part of our shore excursion.

I had signed up for the luggage valet program, which has worked extremely well for me on other cruise lines.

My Delta flights, through Atlanta, didn't leave FLL until 5:00 pm, so I figured there was lots of time for the luggage to get on board.

Well, it's a week later, and I'm still missing my big suitcase, with clothes, souvenirs, CDs, toiletries, etc. etc.

I arrived in Seattle and filed a missing luggage claim with Delta, assuming it was their fault, and then the next day received one phone call from 305-358-6351 saying my suitcase had been found and it would be shipped to me.

That is the only communication I received.

A day later, I stayed home from work assuming it would come that morning. After I realized I had no idea how or when it was coming, called that number back and was informed my bag had been shipped UPS GROUND to Seattle. I was shocked and dismayed, to say the least, that my luggage was being sent that way.

It is scheduled to arrive on 10/20 according to UPS -- nine days after getting off the ship. I am anticipating some pretty nasty clothing after this much time, and I am hopeful that all the contents are there, because between the cruise clothes, souvenirs from our ports, Christmas gifts that were bought, toiletries and grooming supplies, CD's, etc, there are many hundreds of dollars worth of valuables in it.

Please let me ask, is this a proper way to return luggage? Can I at least request a refund of the extra money I paid for this "service?"

I'm going on good faith and assuming that (other than some nasty clothing items) everything else will be there.

But let me ask the big question:

Why doesn't a great cruise line like Celebrity follow up MUCH better when these things happen? One vague phone call that my bag had been found and was being sent? But no explanation of the way it was being sent until I called back, (after staying home from work the next day, assuming it would be driven to my house by taxi after being flown here).

I'm very hopeful that everything will be in my suitcase, and that I'll be able to not let it affect my pleasant memories of my cruise.

Certainly there must be a better way for you all to handle these kinds of situations. Noteably, much better communication, and preferably AIR transport to the customer on the next available flights.

Hoping to hear from you on this matter,

Respectfully,

I just finished writing Celebrity a letter... :rolleyes:

Sunday Oct 18, 2009

Dear Celebrity,

A week ago today I got off the Infinity after a very pleasant cruise through the Panama Canal, from my home in Seattle to Fort Lauderdale.

I enjoyed myself very much, spent a lot of money, including the single supplement to enjoy an outside cabin by myself (3103). The service throughout the cruise was excellent, and even though there were some problems with the food, I gave the cruise excellent marks.

Disembarkation was a mess, supposedly due to customs problems, and we were quite delayed getting off the ship, forcing the cancellation of part of our shore excursion.

I had signed up for the luggage valet program, which has worked extremely well for me on other cruise lines.

My Delta flights, through Atlanta, didn't leave FLL until 5:00 pm, so I figured there was lots of time for the luggage to get on board.

Well, it's a week later, and I'm still missing my big suitcase, with clothes, souvenirs, CDs, toiletries, etc. etc.

I arrived in Seattle and filed a missing luggage claim with Delta, assuming it was their fault, and then the next day received one phone call from 305-358-6351 saying my suitcase had been found and it would be shipped to me.

That is the only communication I received.

A day later, I stayed home from work assuming it would come that morning. After I realized I had no idea how or when it was coming, called that number back and was informed my bag had been shipped UPS GROUND to Seattle. I was shocked and dismayed, to say the least, that my luggage was being sent that way.

It is scheduled to arrive on 10/20 according to UPS -- nine days after getting off the ship. I am anticipating some pretty nasty clothing after this much time, and I am hopeful that all the contents are there, because between the cruise clothes, souvenirs from our ports, Christmas gifts that were bought, toiletries and grooming supplies, CD's, etc, there are many hundreds of dollars worth of valuables in it.

Please let me ask, is this a proper way to return luggage? Can I at least request a refund of the extra money I paid for this "service?"

I'm going on good faith and assuming that (other than some nasty clothing items) everything else will be there.

But let me ask the big question:

Why doesn't a great cruise line like Celebrity follow up MUCH better when these things happen? One vague phone call that my bag had been found and was being sent? But no explanation of the way it was being sent until I called back, (after staying home from work the next day, assuming it would be driven to my house by taxi after being flown here).

I'm very hopeful that everything will be in my suitcase, and that I'll be able to not let it affect my pleasant memories of my cruise.

Certainly there must be a better way for you all to handle these kinds of situations. Noteably, much better communication, and preferably AIR transport to the customer on the next available flights.

Hoping to hear from you on this matter,

Respectfully,

Good and reasonable letter. Hope it gets results for you.

Losing luggage at the end of the trip is COMPLETELY preferable to losing it on the way to the ship! :eek:

UPS called tonight -- my suitcase is due to be delivered sometime between 8:00 am and 7:00 pm tomorrow, and must be signed for. I can only hope it is in the morning! And I hope everything is in it.

Still no response at all from Celebrity on my email/letter -- but it's been less than 24 hours.

I'll think good thoughts... :D

Hi All!!! Had a great time on our cruise together!!! So sorry you luggage got lost Tom!!! I know that Carri Cruiser's friend - Carol, had her bags lost too!!! It was a real delight to meet you all!!!

Thank-you for being so welcoming!!! For our first cruise, Ann and myself had a fabulous time!!

I did write a review but the computer demons seem to have destroyed it!!! I guess we will find out if it's still there sometime soon!!!

I had such a good time, I am looking forward to my next trip!!! I absolutely loved Hualtco, so I think that will be my next vacation spot!!!

Hope you all get your luggage back soon!!! Tom, hope that you find the house of your dreams soon!!!

Blessings,

JC:)

Seafun, Celebrity "lost" our luggage in amsterdam and they sent it to us via UPS - COD!!!!!!!!!!! It cost $176.00 to get the suitcase. We called Celebrity to express our displeasure and they immediately credited our credit card. I would call them - they are very concerned about providing good customer service.

Suprising on the lost luggage problem with Celebrity, during all of our cruises only last year did we experience our first piece of missing luggage when disembarking the Millineum in Barcelona. One of our bags was not to be located (did not use luggage service) anywhere and we were able to wait until esentially the last luggage had been claimed due to a late morning flight. However, the cruise line or port sent someone to the airport with our piece (which was clearly marked with our name and cabin number) and actually paged me to exit the plane and claim my luggage. Once identified and signed for it was checked by airline and plane departed for Atlanta. Needless to say there was a bit of applause as I reboarded because by now the airline was a bit late departing. I say either Celebrity or the Barcelona port went the extra mile since appeared that some other passagenger had picked up the wrong bag and just left it out in the taxi area!:)

All of our Celebrity cruise have been so pleasant that we are looking forward to the Equinox on 11/23/09

At least it finally got here... I hated waiting for UPS to deliver it; I can't believe they wouldn't give me a smaller time window -- wasted almost a whole day waiting by the door.

Oh well, at least it's here. Laundry is in the wash now -- rewashing some of it.

All the souvenirs seems to be here, so I'll go about getting over myself. Still, I'm very disappointed -- I emailed Celebrity a day and a half ago -- no response at all. So I hard copy mailed the letter to them today as well.

Admittedly, the website DOES say it may take 48 hours for them to return an email, and 10 days or more for snail mail.

(Deep breaths....) It was a great cruise, I got my luggage back, after 9 days, two of which were spent waiting at home all day for luggage to be delivered.

I will hope for an apology and a refund of the fee for the "special service."

And yes, of course I will sail Celebrity again. :D

Nice letter. Keep on them as I know they will be most hospitable in the end.

Several years ago a piece of my luggage was destroyed and after a letter and several reasonable conversations with customer service, I received a call from the VP in Miami. Full compensation and a treat on the next cruise. I was pleased with how they handled everything.

Be the (nice)squeaky wheel.

I received a fairly standard email, apologizing and stating that they would refund the amount for the extra luggage service.

Nothing else was asked for and nothing else was offered. No explanation or reasons for the luggage missing the flight home.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. It didn't end up being a huge disaster, but certainly a major inconvenience.

I loved the cruise, but was not real impressed with their response.

Here's to many more happy cruises for all of us! And yes, I will continue to do the extra luggage service -- it really works quite well MOST of the time. :rolleyes:

Hi Jewels -

Happy to hear that you enjoyed your cruise. It was so nice to meet you.

marlene

Hi Marlene, thank-you for the greeting!! I enjoyed meeting you too!!! I am already planning my next vacation!!! I am hoping to rent a Condo in Huatlco, MX next spring or summer!!!

Hi to Seafun, Carri-Cruiser, Banditdoggy and all!!! You all are a great group of people, and I really enjoyed spending time with each of you!!!

Many thanks for your friendliness!!! I look forward to seeing many of you again!!!

Blessings,

JC:)

I received a fairly standard email, apologizing and stating that they would refund the amount for the extra luggage service.

Nothing else was asked for and nothing else was offered. No explanation or reasons for the luggage missing the flight home.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. It didn't end up being a huge disaster, but certainly a major inconvenience.

I loved the cruise, but was not real impressed with their response.

Here's to many more happy cruises for all of us! And yes, I will continue to do the extra luggage service -- it really works quite well MOST of the time. :rolleyes:

I have never used the luggage service but am planning to at the end of our upcoming cruise.

We sailed the Infinity on her last sailing through the PC in April to SF. It was a wonderful cruise except for the fact we missed all the Mexican Ports due to the H1N1 outbreak. (4 days at sea).We did have some issues with our suite and X was very good about taking care of them for us.

One of best parts of our cruise was meeting the other CCers, really a fantanstic group of people!

Archived