First time balcony stateroom

bilcady

This will be our 3rd cruise on the Explorer, the first 2 being Promenade rooms on Deck six. Although we enjoyed these rooms, my wife was hesitent on opening the blinds that much because people could "see in" and I was felt I was being hemmed in. I'm 72, wife 71. I just booked a 9 day Bermuda/Bahamas in June on the Explorer and went for a balcony room. Will be in cabin 6618, in the middle of the "Hump". Any past cruisers shared this same cabin or any other cabin on the hump. Will be happy to hear any comments.

This will be our 3rd cruise on the Explorer, the first 2 being Promenade rooms on Deck six. Although we enjoyed these rooms, my wife was hesitent on opening the blinds that much because people could "see in" and I was felt I was being hemmed in. I'm 72, wife 71. I just booked a 9 day Bermuda/Bahamas in June on the Explorer and went for a balcony room. Will be in cabin 6618, in the middle of the "Hump". Any past cruisers shared this same cabin or any other cabin on the hump. Will be happy to hear any comments.

You have chosen well....No going back to the Promenade cabins for the two of you.....the privacy.....the balcony.....the middle hump....Enjoy :D

You will LOVE having a balcony! You'll be able to leave your drapes open, without anyone being able to "see in" and will have those lovely vistas to enjoy! The balcony rooms are a bit larger and the added balcony space is a nice bonus!

Just returned from our first balcony cruise on Explorer after 8 cruises in an inside cabin. We loved the balcony. We were also on the hump, 6624. The location was great, just steps from stairs/elevators. We had coffee and fruit every morning on the balcony before going to the MDR for breakfast. Most days, however, we didn't spend any further time on the balcony. No matter what anyone else says, it is just as dark at night in a balcony cabin as an inside and you still have to keep the bathroom light on.

We will be back in an inside for our next cruise because it is a more expensive time of year, plus we will be going with our kids, so will need two cabins. The cost of a balcony plus an inside is just too prohibitive for us. However, future cruises without the kids will most likely be in a balcony.

Yes it is pretty dark at night, but, it is lovely to sit on the balcony at night. You can watch the lights of the ship trailing you. The surf against the ship also has a neat glow. Very relaxing.

I have never cruised in any room less than a balcony. Perhaps that is a curse that our first cruise was in a balcony. I have only been going up since then. I can't ever imagine myself in an inside room. :eek: I peeked inside one when the door was open for cleaning. OMG it was teeny!!

We took our first cruise last june got a balcony room the only way to go!!. Sitting out there and seeing the stars at night looking at the blue ocean during the day priceless.Two more cruises booked and balcony both times the only way to cruise!!!!!!.

We've tried all categories. You can't go back after a balcony. Waking up and stepping onto the balcony with coffee delivered by room service; sitting in the breeze after dinner, sipping a glass of wine while winding down from the day...it can't be compared to the other categories. Enjoy.

my favorite spot on the ship!

you will be so glad you booked the balcony...i am so excited for you!

just remember to close the slider before you open your cabin door to the hall...our first cruise all of our papers flew out into the hallway...it creates quite a vacumm:)

Its funny I booked a guarantee balcony Category X for the October 29 cruise to Bermuda and Caribbean and was just assigned the same cabin 6618; I had no idea about the hump or anything; I guess for a Guarantee I lucked out.

To the OP when are you cruising? I will be careful not to break too much stuff!!!:D

Good views, and close to the elevators. !! Now you will not go back to an inside cabin again !! :o

Our first cruise was on the Rhapsody and we booked a room with a window. Our travel agent called me and that she had charged $20 to my credit card because we could upgrade to a balcony for $10 each! That was in 2005.

We've been sold on balconies ever since. We are going on the Mariner for the second time in May and love our balconies.

You will LOVE having a balcony! You'll be able to leave your drapes open, without anyone being able to "see in" and will have those lovely vistas to enjoy! The balcony rooms are a bit larger and the added balcony space is a nice bonus!

Unless thier cleaning the side of the ship. he saw more than he should.

We have been in an inside, outside and balcony cabin and it's balcony all the way now.

Great to come back in at the end of the night with my coffee (and possibly a little cake!) from the promenade cafe and sit and read the compass - sweet.

Roll on January - Balcony on the Oasis!!!

Once balcony, never back. You will love it. Have morning coffee out there. Read in the evening. It is a great experience.

No truer words have ever been spoken! A balcony cabin spoils all of us. Like TheWog said... once you have a balcony , you never go back.

Enjoy your cruise!!

---------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

I have not been on that particular ship,but have been on the Adventure of the Seas,the Freedom of the Seas. We love the Hub cabins,the locations are great close proximity to the lifts and stairs.

We are not quite as old as the two of you,but do have some issues with the knees. Be care of the selection of cabins avoid cabins at the fringe of the Hub,because if you are there your view of both ends of the ship at the same time is comprimised

Hope this helps

I LOVE a balcony, but I disagree with the "you can never go back" idea. For each cruise I choose what's the best value for that particular cruise.

Right now (while we're sharing a cabin with kids), a balcony makes sense because it's the cheapest way of getting "more real estate". In the future, when our kids are out of the house, we will likely cruise more often and will scoop up less expensive rooms.

Archived