Cruising with a diabetic child

bsybnchof4

I wonder if anyone out there has any suggestions to help me out with my family's first cruise. We have a 10 year old son that is type 1 diabetic. I would greatly appreciate any tips on packing, flying and cruising from anyone who has done this before. He uses an insulin pump. We have gone on a road trip, but never flown or cruised with him. We leave in 2 weeks!

I dont know what cruiseline, but I know Carnival has a SF dessert every night in the dining room and SF vanilla ice cream.

Most cruiselines have some SF choices, might not be as many as you would like. They also seem to have a SF cookie choice.

Have your child watch their carbs, and if they can spare it, have some of the SF desserts.

My wife has been a type 1 diabetic for most of her life and is on the pump as well. although myself am not a diabetic, i can say that there was nothing that my wife could not do because of it. It all comes down to you you chose to manage the food intake, and shouldnt have to change too much, except i would bring extra items with you to help raise his blood sugar levels if they drop too quickly and you are not onboard the ship, like on an excursion.

Also i would have your doctor write a prescription for long acting insulin as a backup if anything were to happen to the pump. This happend to my wife in September on our cruise 2 days in her pump failed. The good news for us was the med facility on board was well equiped to provide my wife with long acting insulin and syringes, but is was somewhat of a scary situation and wont be unprepared in the future.

thank you very much for the advice. We are less than 2 years into life with diabetes and still have much to learn. I really appreciate the suggestion to have some long acting insulin. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Does anyone know if there are any airline restrictions on transporting his insulin and supplies or anything special I should know?

Thanks!!:)

thank you very much for the advice. We are less than 2 years into life with diabetes and still have much to learn. I really appreciate the suggestion to have some long acting insulin. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Does anyone know if there are any airline restrictions on transporting his insulin and supplies or anything special I should know?

The TSA permits all diabetes medication, equipment and supplies to be carried on board. You should declare it in advance to the checkpoint screener so that they know what they are looking at.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

Disability-related items permitted through the security checkpoint include:

Wheelchairs

Scooters

Crutches

Canes

Walkers

Prosthetic devices

Casts

Support braces

Support appliances

Service animals

Baby apnea monitors

Orthopedic shoes

Exterior medical devices

Assistive/adaptive equipment

Augmentation devices

Ostomy supplies

CPAP machines & respirators

Hearing aids

Cochlear implants

Tools for wheelchair disassembly/reassembly

Personal supplemental oxygen

CO2 personal oxygen concentrators

Tools for prosthetic devices

Medications and associated supplies

Braille note takers

Slate and stylus

All diabetes related medication, equipment, and supplies

Any other disability-related equipment and associated supplies

I got Type I diabetes at age 30. I've had it for just over 19 years now and I travel quite a bit. I have never had any problem with TSA, security in foreign countries, etc. The screening agents are trained in what to expect from travelers with diabetes.

Being on a cruise should make no difference to his routine other than that encountered on a very active week on land.

Have a great cruise!

I happen to be a Diabetes Educator and work with people with their pumps every day. Carry all of his extra supplies on board the plane with you. Our Endo. will write people a letter stating they have to carry their insulin and syringes on the flight.

Bring syringes with you. if you have a problem with his pump you can always draw up a dose from the pump if need be. (I have people keep a syringe in the meter case at all times as a back up, not just for vacation times)

You should all ready have a written back up plan,from your physician, in case he has to go off the pump . This is as good a time as any to make sure you have one of these.

Bring a supply of glucose tabs just in case. You never know when you will be stuck some where ( on a plane) where food may not be available to treat an unexpected low.

Let him enjoy his vacation and the different foods available. If he runs a little higher from all the out of the ordinary foods, so be it. I assume he counts his carbs to dose? Just do the best you can estimating as most foods won't have label.

Do you take the pump off when he swims? Does he need a temporary basal for times he is really active? Things to think about.

Do you have any other more specific questions?

Flying esp. long distance can send levels haywhy so maybe check levels a ´bit more often just incase adjustment is required.

Also remember to carry those Dr. notes and other supplies when leaving the ship too just incase soemone stops you on one of the islands wondering why you would be carrying things like syringes etc.

Make sure you notify the Special Needs department for the ship you will be on. And tell the Maitre'd and your waiter of your son's diabeties. This will make it easier for you with menus, etc.

Carry EVERYTHING he needs on the plane and onto the ship with you in a carry-on. Then you'll know you have it.

Don't woory, you'll all have a great time!

The ship will supply a sharps container, if needed.

Plan for the unexpected- The 5 hr flight turning into a 12hr one. Being stuck in port waiting to get on the ship for over three hours while waiting for them to clear the previous cruise.

Insulin and other liquid meds do not have to be in the 3-1-1 bag but must be declared.

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

Only prepackaged food is allowed off ship in ports. Basically that is just the boxed cereal available. We bring some prepackaged foods (like energy bars and hard candy) from home for shore excursions.

Hello,

When you get on board the ship, you will meet with your cabin steward. Tell him or her that your child is diabetic, and they will provide you with whatever you need. You might want to tell the Head Housekeeper as well.

Your son is going to go to the children's program where he is going to have so much fun that you and your husband will become all but invisible. Tell the staff that he is diabetic, so that if they have snacks or go to lunch together what he can have or not.

Have dinner in the main dining room each night. Tell your waiters and head waiter that your son is diabetic. They will prepare something nice for him or point out to you what menu items are appropriate for him.

Most ships have room service 24/7 so you will be able to call room service at 2:00 AM and have something sent to your cabin if necessary. Food is generally available from 5:00 AM to 12 midnight on the ship but check the ship's newspaper for hours of operation.

If you go to the buffet, go with him to the tables to see what he is selecting.

There is a physician on board as well as nurses.

If you have any problems go to the Purser's desk aka customer service and ask to see the purser in charge.

My wife is a diabetic and the above is based on our many cruises.

You will have a great time and he will not only have a great time but will remember this cruise he took with his mom and dad.

Your pump supply company may provide you with a pump to take with you in case of an emergency, should your son have a problem with his during your travels. (I know Animas does this). There is absolutely no charge for this and they will even provide a return pre-paid envelope. Great peace of mind! Call asap though, as you only have two weeks until your cruise. Also (as yogi mentioned), plan for the unexpected. Be sure to take an extra bottle of insulin (in case it is needed or a bottle is dropped and breaks), plus extra cartridges and insets beyond what you think will be needed for the duration of your trip. Better safe than sorry! All medical supplies should definitely be carried with you in your carry on bag of course. Your son will do great, just be sure that he always carries glucose tablets or something in case of low blood sugar.

hello,

Addenda...

Get your little guy ready for the cruise. Show him brochures, the ship's layout and where your cabin is located. Have him read about the ports you will be visiting so that he has some idea of where the ship is going.

Tell him that this is an adventure and that you do not have all the answers...it is a new adventure for you and his dad.

As the ship sails out to sea, all of you go up to the front of the ship and stand in the wind (remember Kate Winslet and Leonardo De Caprio in "Titanic".

At night go outside and look at the moon and the stars.

Play basketball with him or shuffle board, or ping pong and go swimming.

And let him stay up as late as he wants, even hang around with you and listen to music or go to the shows. He will want to sit in the front row which is wear kids should be.

Our little guy was 7 when he went on his first cruise,now he is 25.

I can't say thank you enough to all of you for your wonderful help! :D We really don't travel much, let alone fly, so we are really in the dark on most of this. The links posted by njhorseman and yogi are great. Also yogi, thanks for the headsup on being prepared for long delays!

JMF123, my son does have an Animas pump so I will contact them to see if they can help this late in the game.

Taymiss2, I think I need to call my son's diabetes nurse tomorrow and get hard copies of his prescritions. He always has syringes in his "pack" for just in case, along with glucose tabs.

There have been many wonderful suggestions in response to my questions! Thank you all!:D I feel much better equiped to handle what is to come!

Hello,

I neglected to mention that my DW and I were on the Radiance of the Seas in April and May of 2009, for a total of 29 days.

You have selected a very nice ship, with an experienced crew. And here is a secret but don't tell anyone. On the Radiance there is the Seaview Cafe, which has very good food though the menu is limited (do not miss the onion rings) and excellent service. It is located I believe on Deck 12 at the very rear of the ship. They are open for lunch, dinner and later in the evening (10:00 PM) but check the hours of operation. if you want some quiet but nice places to read outside, there are some wonderful reasonably secluded areas on the lower decks in the back of the ship.

The hotel manager (a very big job on a cruise ship) is a real pro as is the head housekeeper. Both are from Jamaica and these two are exceptionally nice men as well. They move staff around but I believe both are still on the Radiance.

Have you looked in on the Radiance roll call for your sailing. If not do so because you may find others with children the same ages as yours. Go to RCCL, then to Radiance of the Seas, then to the date of your sailing.

I am an insulin dep diabetic; the hardest thing is straying from routine. routine helps your son keep himself in check; so try to create your routine early in the cruise, regular meals, planned exercise (regular walks on deck can burn your blood sugar); Check often. yes you are on vacation but there is no harm in checking his BS more often. also grab stuff and take to your room from the buffet, apple juice, orange juice, sugar cereals, snacks, so he has a snack at anytime, no waiting for room service. I have been provided sharps containers for disposal ANd very lucky, the cruise lines will give you a mini fridge if you fill out the form indicating diabetes. I agree with others, carry all medication, do not check it as you want to have it with you in case of delays. a good watch that allows you to set multiple alarms can help and make sure he wears his med alert bracelet

I have had great experiences and you will too. just do the same as you do on land, be vigilent and supportive have a good trip; PS this is a great time of year to buy small packets of skittles or other sugar candy to pack with everything. he/she should have their own fanny pack with their gear

Oshkosh

:o

I am a non insulin diabetic and will be going on my 1st cruise as a diabetic in a few months. I was recently diagnosed (July 1, 2009) and am still learning how to manage my diet. You all gave some wonderful tips and hints and I will remember them. My SIL is also diabetic and is on insulin so I will remind her to get all the extra meds/prescriptions etc...before our cruise.

Thanks all.

I recall that not all of the cabins in every ship I've been on came with a mini frig. If you need a frig for storing insulin you need to make that need known, and be assured you will be accomodated, before you book.

Be prepared for a short hold up at security at the airport due to the insulin pump.

My husband has been on the pump for years and we've travelled exstensively(multiple trips every year). However, last year he was held up on three occasions because of the pump. This hadn't ever happened before.

There was no problem getting through security but it did take about five minutes while he was thoroughly inspected. This was a bit disconcerting the first time but now he's used to it. Just be prepared that it might happen and then it will not be a "big deal" for your son.

Have a wonderful trip.

Archived