Hotel in Rome..1 night

oceanlovinmama

We are going on a 12 night med cruise in May 2010 and the itinerary says we arrive at 4:00 am...do we start disembarking then?? Does anyone have any good suggestions for a clean, decent hotel, close to pier or airport, but still in proximity to get into Rome to tour for a day? I figured we could check our bags at the hotel if the room wasn't ready, go into town and see some sites then back to the hotel to sleep before we board our flight the next day. Any help would be appreciated. Right now there are 4 of us, but that could increase to 6 soon.

Katy, is your flight home the next morning extremely early? If not, I'd stay in Rome rather than out near the airport so you can have a leisurely dinner and a stroll afterwards.

If you must stay out near the airport, there are several options. I've stayed at the Hilton at the airport; very nice but also quite costly. Somewhat less expensive is the Marriott Courtyard, but that requires a shuttle bus to the airport (about 10 Euro/person, I think).

There are others, but these are the only ones I've stayed at personally.

Our flight is at 9:45. I'm assuming we would need to be at the airport by 7:45? In your experience, would this be enough time to get to the airport, which I believe is 1 hour away? If so, any recommendations for a hotel in Rome itself? I appreciate your time!

Our flight is at 9:45. I'm assuming we would need to be at the airport by 7:45? In your experience, would this be enough time to get to the airport, which I believe is 1 hour away? If so, any recommendations for a hotel in Rome itself? I appreciate your time!

Our flight in June was scheduled for 10:20 AM. We left our hotel in the Campo di' Fiori area around 7:30 AM and were at the airport in 40 minutes. Two hours should be enough to check in and have plenty of time to explore all the designer "Pucci/Gucci" stores in the international terminal. I still cannot believe this, but although there indeed is one bookstore in that new terminal, you cannot purchase a single newspaper or magazine anywhere in that terminal! :eek:

Yes, you should be there by about 7:30 AM, and it will be easy to do from Rome. Cabs are a set fare of 40 Euro and can get you there in about 45 minutes. Most hotels offer breakfast included, so you'll even have time to grab something to eat before leaving for the airport if you want.

One note: if you are flying directly to the US from Rome, your flight will leave from the new terminal (#5).

The most central areas in Rome to look for hotels are the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori. There are literally hundreds of hotels within about a one mile radius at a range of different prices. I've stayed at the Albergo Cesari near the Pantheon (http://www.albergocesari.it/), friends of mine swear by the del Senato (http://www.albergodelsenato.it/). If you do a search of this board you'll find lots of other recommendations.

For excellent price/value and relatively central location, my favorites are the Casa di Santa Francesca Romana in Trastevere (http://www.sfromana.it/english.html) and the Nicolas Inn near the Colosseum (http://www.nicolasinn.com/en).

Have stayed at two hotels.

Hotel Mozart near the Spanish steps was nice. Great location near the upscale shops and taxi stand at Spanish steps. Walk to Trevi (a bit of a walk) but very nice area and pretty good price for a 3 star.

Albergo del Senato right next door to the Pantheon is the BEST hotel. The location is stupendous. Piazza Navonna, Trevi, Coliseum and everything else is walking distance. Really neat area, shops restaurants etc..... and the hotel itself is great ! The rooftop bar is a wonderful place to watch the sunset and you can see it all from there. A little more than Mozart but oh oh so worth it !

We are going on a 12 night med cruise in May 2010 and the itinerary says we arrive at 4:00 am...do we start disembarking then?? Does anyone have any good suggestions for a clean, decent hotel, close to pier or airport, but still in proximity to get into Rome to tour for a day? I figured we could check our bags at the hotel if the room wasn't ready, go into town and see some sites then back to the hotel to sleep before we board our flight the next day. Any help would be appreciated. Right now there are 4 of us, but that could increase to 6 soon.

Hi

Just wanted to say hello, which daye are you sailing , we are doing same cruise on 6 May . Just looking at hotels at minute in Rome as we are flying out day before but will be coming home on last day.

Doreen

Hi Doreen....we are sailing on May 6th as well! I started a Roll Call under Navigator for RCCL....We are flying in the morning of the 6th but we are not leaving until the 19th. Hoping to see as much in Rome as possible in a day!! Thanks to all who have suggested Hotels....I'm definately looking into a couple. Nicolas Inn didn't have any accomodations for our stay...they looked wonderful! I'm a little confused with the wordings they use....single, doubles, triples and quads. Does this mean the beds are for the most part single size?? Some show pictures with a double bed, so I understand that, but triple and quads??

I'm a little confused with the wordings they use....single, doubles, triples and quads. Does this mean the beds are for the most part single size?? Some show pictures with a double bed, so I understand that, but triple and quads??

Sometimes you'll find rooms with just a twin bed (single) or a double bed for single use (rate will usually be slightly lower than for two people in the same room). A triple is usually one double bed and one single bed in the same room, and a quad is two double beds.

It's too bad that the Nicolas Inn isn't available, it's really lovely and the owners (an American woman and her husband, who may be French but I'm not sure) are terrific.

We enjoyed our second stay at Hotel Smeraldo for five nights in June, located right near Campo di' Fiori and the transportation hub of Largo Argentina. The #64 bus, which runs to all the main tourist sights, stops just a couple blocks away there. It's a reasonable 130 Euros per night for a great location near the "Old Rome" primo night strolling stops of the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.

As stated previously, only a 40-minute taxi ride the next morning to the airport. The hotel itself is not fancy but it is in a super location, is very clean, and is located on a quiet side-street (with good insultating windows) in this mainly pedestrian quaint area.

PS. Well, now that I read that your cruise visits here (as well as Greece, for which I just posted a reply to your winery query), save your winery experience for Italy rather than Greece.

• 1 month later...
The most central areas in Rome to look for hotels are the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori. There are literally hundreds of hotels within about a one mile radius at a range of different prices. I've stayed at the Albergo Cesari near the Pantheon (http://www.albergocesari.it/), friends of mine swear by the del Senato (http://www.albergodelsenato.it/). If you do a search of this board you'll find lots of other recommendations.

For excellent price/value and relatively central location, my favorites are the Casa di Santa Francesca Romana in Trastevere (http://www.sfromana.it/english.html) and the Nicolas Inn near the Colosseum (http://www.nicolasinn.com/en).

So how do you compare the Albergo Cesari to the Nicolas Inn as far as what you get for the money, location, etc.? (I know you can't tell me about quietness comparisons since you already told me about your hearing issues from your Colorado days ;) ) NI quoted me 160 euros/night. The Albergo Cesari comes up 136 euros/night on Venere.com. I've never used that site before though, have you?

Thanks again.

Barb

That's an amazing rate for the Albergo Cesari - grab it!

The Cesari is more centrally located than the Nicolas Inn, and it's a hotel, not a B&B. The Cesari has a lovely bar and breakfast room on the roof, free web access at a computer in the lobby, and an elevator; the Nicolas Inn has none of these. (Although I should say that Melissa's husband met me downstairs and carried my luggage up the flight of stairs to the Inn, so the lack of an elevator wasn't really an inconvenience for me.)

I don't know that I've ever booked through Venere, but I often use the site to see what's out there. You can try contacting the Cesari directly and see if they will match the price. For perspective, I paid about 240 Euro per night in October 2008.

That's an amazing rate for the Albergo Cesari - grab it!

The Cesari is more centrally located than the Nicolas Inn, and it's a hotel, not a B&B. The Cesari has a lovely bar and breakfast room on the roof, free web access at a computer in the lobby, and an elevator; the Nicolas Inn has none of these. (Although I should say that Melissa's husband met me downstairs and carried my luggage up the flight of stairs to the Inn, so the lack of an elevator wasn't really an inconvenience for me.)

I don't know that I've ever booked through Venere, but I often use the site to see what's out there. You can try contacting the Cesari directly and see if they will match the price. For perspective, I paid about 240 Euro per night in October 2008.

Most of the other booking sites didn't even have my dates in their system yet. When I went back to venere.com, that now seems to be a generic rate and not for the specific dates I wanted. I just emailed the hotel to inquire if they will offer any weekend rates for next year so we'll see.

The one thing I most remember from the hotels I stayed in in Rome in the late 60's were the rooftop patios with views so that's what I'm envisioning that I'd like to find, off on a side street and not overlooking a busy road or square. One of the places is still around 40+ years later but some of the reviews were less than favorable re: gross bathrooms. Another one is now a 5 star, super $$$ one (we won't be staying there).

I like the Cesari very much. Great location, nice renovation completed a couple of years ago. It's right next to what's left of Hadrian's temple and a short walk to the Pantheon.

That's a great rate. And I've booked through Venere. The only thing I'd say is that for that rate you may not get the *best* room in the category. But for the location, it's well worth it (in my opinion, anyway).

Are you looking for a quad room for a family (you mentioned a group of four)? If so, you might want to check out the Hotel Raffaello on via Urbana. We stayed in one of their 2 bedroom/one bath family suites last week for a rate of 180euros...a big cost savings over other options we found for our family of four. The Hotel itself was very nice, with a good breakfast. It is rated well on Trip Advisor as well.

• 7 months later...

Archived