Coffee machines in CB cabins?

Laughing Gull

Good morning Everyone :)

Do the regular balcony or mini suites on Caribbean Princess have coffee machines? I am addicted to a particular brew and love making a fresh cup to sip on the balcony. I usually travel with a few filters, bag of coffee and a plastic spoon where I go so I don't have to struggle with hotel style coffee.

Thinking we will also get a coffee card.

Unfortunately, there is not a coffee maker in the standard staterooms. :( That would be nice, wouldn't it?

You will see many threads on here about the coffee options aboard Princess ships (and their quality.) Many intensely dislike the standard brew offered in the Horizon Court (as it is made from syrup and not "fresh brewed".)

But, as you probably already know since you mentioned the Coffee Card, you can get specialty coffees and free fresh brewed coffee at the ship's cafe (at various locations depending on the class of ship you're on.)

You may also see the many conversations here recently about Starbucks' new "Via" instant coffee offering. I tried it this weekend, and it's actually pretty decent (it's not your grandfather's instant coffee.) :) I assume people who are planning to use this will bring some kind of "hot pot" for their cabin, as I can't imagine hot water ordered from room service would be quite hot enough (but that could be just me.) If you read in the Answer Book, I believe you will find that thermostatically controlled "hot pots" are permitted (please, someone correct me if I'm mistaken.)

Whew! That was way more information that you probably wanted, huh? ;)

Hope it was helpful, nevertheless, and hope you have a wonderful trip! :D

My husband and I were on the CB on our honeymoon in 05' in a balcony cabin and I don't recall there being a coffee machine in our room. I think you could order it through room service, but no way to make your own.

There's always a way to make my own. I bring my own. :D

I carry the Melitta Perfect Brew (a plastic cone that fits over any mug/cup). Order from room service, a Large Pot of Boiling water, use your own coffee, & filter & Viola great coffee in the room! Been doing this for years. Even the brewed coffee w/ coffee card tastes terrible.:(

^^^ That's a great idea! The Melita things are great. I've used them many times (even have one I left at my brother's house for when I visit, because he's not a coffee drinker.) Never thought of bringing it on a cruise. D'oh!

And the water from room service is hot enough? That's great news.

Also, I remembered that I've seen people with these:

http://www.liquidplanet.com/Planetary-Design-Double-Shot-Travel-French-Press-Mug-p-192.html

There appear to be many options. ;)

"I carry the Melitta Perfect Brew (a plastic cone that fits over any mug/cup). Order from room service, a Large Pot of Boiling water, use your own coffee, & filter & Viola great coffee in the room!"

What a brilliant idea!

I take it that room service will also supply milk and sugar etc?

"I carry the Melitta Perfect Brew (a plastic cone that fits over any mug/cup). Order from room service, a Large Pot of Boiling water, use your own coffee, & filter & Viola great coffee in the room!"

What a brilliant idea!

I take it that room service will also supply milk and sugar etc?

They will, but it might be easier to take a couple of cartons of milk from the buffet, and keep them in your cabin fridge. Sugar packets, too.

Do the regular balcony or mini suites on Caribbean Princess have coffee machines? I am addicted to a particular brew and love making a fresh cup to sip on the balcony. I usually travel with a few filters, bag of coffee and a plastic spoon where I go so I don't have to struggle with hotel style coffee.

No coffee makers in any cabin.

The Melitta Perfect Brew uses # 2 filters & I use it w/ my 16 oz mug. That is a nice size "cup" of coffee.

I hand write on the room service menu "1 Large Pot of Boiling Water" . It is not always boiling but VERY close to it. My wife drinks her own Chai & I have my own coffee! That's why the Lrg Pot.:)

The Melitta Perfect Brew uses # 2 filters & I use it w/ my 16 oz mug. That is a nice size "cup" of coffee.

I hand write on the room service menu "1 Large Pot of Boiling Water" . It is not always boiling but VERY close to it. My wife drinks her own Chai & I have my own coffee! That's why the Lrg Pot.:)

In other words, your Melitta is not electric? There's no way room service hot water is hot enough for us.

In other words, your Melitta is not electric? There's no way room service hot water is hot enough for us.

You are correct non-electric. We get room service the same time every day & thus a lot of times we get the same wait person. We always emphasized Boiling & mostly get it. Even "warm" water added to our own coffee is better than Princess Hot Coffee anywhere!

You are correct non-electric. We get room service the same time every day & thus a lot of times we get the same wait person. We always emphasized Boiling & mostly get it. Even "warm" water added to our own coffee is better than Princess Hot Coffee anywhere!

I need to brew my own so that my coffee is available within 5 minutes of getting out of bed. My husband also needs it last thing before going to bed. Creatures of habit who need instantaneous gratification.

Our cabins on Princess ships always have a Mr. Coffee 4-cup machine. We bring it with us and have our cajun-style coffee every morning on the balcony. Just be sure it has the thermostaic control so it will automatically shut off after a few minutes, in case you forget. Just don't make a mess with the coffee grounds and the steward will never say a word.

Our cabins on Princess ships always have a Mr. Coffee 4-cup machine. We bring it with us and have our cajun-style coffee every morning on the balcony. Just be sure it has the thermostaic control so it will automatically shut off after a few minutes, in case you forget. Just don't make a mess with the coffee grounds and the steward will never say a word.

We just take along a box of small zipper plastic bags, all the coffee grounds and mess go into them and they can be tossed into the trash can, no mess, no fuss. I wouldn't even consider traveling without my little coffee maker. ;)

We just take along a box of small zipper plastic bags, all the coffee grounds and mess go into them and they can be tossed into the trash can, no mess, no fuss. I wouldn't even consider traveling without my little coffee maker. ;)

A hint from someone on CC, took me to a dollar store where we bought thin disposable bags that are used for baby wipes. Pink, sweet smelling and a good way to dispose of the coffee filters.

Good idea! Thanks.

This subject is an indictment of any ship's coffee, which we liken to liquid asphalt. We bring along a French Press coffee maker and our own blend of coffee (augmented with local coffees when sailing anywhere near Central America). The hot water dispenser in the Horizon works very well as far as temperature. But for the room, we rely on one of those immersible heaters to bring room water up to temperature.

Archived