Princess/Roatan excursion question

crazygirl!

Hi All,

I tried posting on the Roatan board, but I didn't get any help. So, I thought maybe it might be more of a Princess question...

Princess now offers a combined Gumbalimba Park and Tabyana Beach Day excursion (also includes lunch). It's $109 per person. My question is, is this worth it? We do want to go to Gumbalimba (to see the monkeys!), but we weren't sure if there were other beach options for afterwards. Is Tabyana the place to go? And, is the only way to get there through a ship excursion? Or, are we better off just booking Gumbalimba and finding a different beach on our own?

Would love some help/suggestions if anyone has been to Roatan and/or has gone to either place. Thanks!

I've been to Roatan 3 times and going back in April 2010. It's one of my favorite places. But I've not been to either place you mentioned. Since I can't answer questions about Gumbalimba and Tabyana Beach, are there any questions I can help you with?

I will say that we've had a fine time each trip getting a cab and going out on our own. There's a lovely beach on the west side of the island. Great restaurants that the cab drivers know about. We've been able to tell a driver our interests, and they take over from there and give us a great day on the island.

Both places are nice. I would Google both and read a little more. Roatan is one of those ports that you are hit with a wall of aggressive taxi drivers and "tour guides" when you do it alone. I have traveled a lot but this stop took me back for a few minutes before I just went ahead and lunged into them and struck a deal. If you are timid, you will not like the scene and should book through Princess.

I've been to Roatan 3 times and going back in April 2010. It's one of my favorite places. But I've not been to either place you mentioned. Since I can't answer questions about Gumbalimba and Tabyana Beach, are there any questions I can help you with?

I will say that we've had a fine time each trip getting a cab and going out on our own. There's a lovely beach on the west side of the island. Great restaurants that the cab drivers know about. We've been able to tell a driver our interests, and they take over from there and give us a great day on the island.

Thanks so much for your response...When you say that you got a cab and went out on your own, did you just do a tour of the island? And, do you know the name of the beach on the west side that you went to?

Both places are nice. I would Google both and read a little more. Roatan is one of those ports that you are hit with a wall of aggressive taxi drivers and "tour guides" when you do it alone. I have traveled a lot but this stop took me back for a few minutes before I just went ahead and lunged into them and struck a deal. If you are timid, you will not like the scene and should book through Princess.

Thanks so much for your insight - it's good to know that the taxi drivers are aggressive. We're definitely not timid, but their attitude may annoy the heck out of us when we're trying to relax on vacation :p

Roatan is one of those ports that you are hit with a wall of aggressive taxi drivers and "tour guides" when you do it alone. I have traveled a lot but this stop took me back for a few minutes before I just went ahead and lunged into them and struck a deal. If you are timid, you will not like the scene and should book through Princess.

I agree with the above poster. I am well traveled too and had heard this repeated over and over so while i normally book excursions on my own in Roatan we decided to play it safe and just book thru the cruiseline.

Honestly for the extra bit of money i am glad we did. The cruiseport is very nice but VERY WALLED off from the locals. HUGE fence with Army men with machine guns at all the entrances. Then just THRONGS of people grabbing at people trying to get them into their cabs or sell them their tours. I just felt much safer in a bus going thru that and not having to go into that mess.

Roatan was beautiful and had a great time and would go back in a heartbeat so dont want to scare you at all just my experience. Cruisecritic has lots of good reviews of Victor Boden. http://www.boddentours.com/ Maybe see if he can customize a tour to do exactly what you are looking to do?

I agree with the above poster. I am well traveled too and had heard this repeated over and over so while i normally book excursions on my own in Roatan we decided to play it safe and just book thru the cruiseline.

Honestly for the extra bit of money i am glad we did. The cruiseport is very nice but VERY WALLED off from the locals. HUGE fence with Army men with machine guns at all the entrances. Then just THRONGS of people grabbing at people trying to get them into their cabs or sell them their tours. I just felt much safer in a bus going thru that and not having to go into that mess.

Roatan was beautiful and had a great time and would go back in a heartbeat so dont want to scare you at all just my experience. Cruisecritic has lots of good reviews of Victor Boden. http://www.boddentours.com/ Maybe see if he can customize a tour to do exactly what you are looking to do?

I really appreciate your advice. It definitely sounds like this is a place to book an excursion. I think it will just be much easier, and then we won't have to "think" about anything while we're there - we can just enjoy ourselves. Thank you so much!

It is definitely busy outside the port walls with many vendors and taxis trying to get your attention. In the 10 times I have been there and walked outside I have never once felt threatend. They do take no for an answer and they are not offended. Just don't be put off by the hussle and bussle. If you want help you will find the locals to be very helpful.

A couple of years ago we did an excursion with Princess that included a Zip Lining and an afternoon at Tabyana Beach with lunch. Everything was great and really enjoyed Tabyana Beach, but the lunch was nothing to brag about. We ended up in one of the resorts having a drink and a snack, which was a lot better then the lunch.

:) GOOD POST! :)

So agree with you! Your description is exactly what it's like in Coxen Hole!!!!

Both times we've been to Roatan, we've booked our shore excursions thru Princess. It's not that we're too shy or could not have done it OnOurOwn ... it's just that we didn't want to. We go on cruises to relax ... not to put up with all of that confusion!

We do very much like Roatan! :D

It is definitely busy outside the port walls with many vendors and taxis trying to get your attention. In the 10 times I have been there and walked outside I have never once felt threatend. They do take no for an answer and they are not offended. Just don't be put off by the hussle and bussle. If you want help you will find the locals to be very helpful.

I could not agree with you more. It is one of our favorites.

Mike:)

Thanks so much for your response...When you say that you got a cab and went out on your own, did you just do a tour of the island? And, do you know the name of the beach on the west side that you went to?

Sorry ... I lost track of this thread for a few days and didn't respond to your questions. It sounds like by now you have decided to do a ship's excursion. But, to answer your questions, we told the cab drivers our interests and in each case they tailored-made an excursion for us. Once was a souvenir place outside of Coxen Hole, a nice restaurant called Gio's (maybe the spelling is wrong - Geo's?) and an iguana farm. Another time was a local restaurant and the beach. Another time was a resort called Fantasy Island and another called St. Anthony's Key. I don't remember the name of the beach where we had such a great afternoon. It was on the west side of the island. I can find out. I have a friend in Honduras who vacations at Roatan. I'll ask her and post the name of it here.

Even though you have decided on a ship's excursion, it might be helpful to others. Have a great time!

We have used two ladies in Roatan named Diana Dickson and Cinthia several times with great results. We had a new roomy air conditioned van w/driver at our command all day for $20pp. The driver carried us to a private beach at a gated development, the iguana farm, a great lunch on the water and shopping.

I really enjoy being able to travel from place to place when we get ready.

You can email and ask about tours or no tour like we do at

jacksong2005@yahoo.com

Mike:)

We will be in Roatan in November and we booked a tour through Victor Bodden. They come highly recommended and you can read reviews on their tours on line at TRIPADVISOR.

We get our own car so we're not jammed in a van w/ 6 other people, tour guide for as long as we want. They tailor make the day with what we want to do for as little or as long as we want for only $25/per person. This price is for 4 or more people. It's only $40/per person for 2 guests.

You can visit the web site at www . boddentours. com in case you are interested.

A couple of years ago we did an excursion with Princess that included a Zip Lining and an afternoon at Tabyana Beach with lunch. Everything was great and really enjoyed Tabyana Beach, but the lunch was nothing to brag about. We ended up in one of the resorts having a drink and a snack, which was a lot better then the lunch.

Yeah, I figured not to expect too much for the Princess lunch, and thought we could always opt for what you did and find something else to eat. But, I'm glad to hear that your excursion was great. Thanks!

We will be in Roatan in November and we booked a tour through Victor Bodden. They come highly recommended and you can read reviews on their tours on line at TRIPADVISOR.

We get our own car so we're not jammed in a van w/ 6 other people, tour guide for as long as we want. They tailor make the day with what we want to do for as little or as long as we want for only $25/per person. This price is for 4 or more people. It's only $40/per person for 2 guests.

You can visit the web site at www . boddentours. com in case you are interested.

Thank you for the referral to Victor Bodden - I've heard lots of great things about that company (here on the boards). I think, since it's just the 2 of us, we will probably opt for the Princess excursion. But, I'm sure a lot of others out there will be happy to know about your experience.

Thank you to ALL!!! I so appreciate all of your thoughts, experiences, and advice. We are very excited to go to Roatan, as it sounds like a fantastic port. I think, for our first time there, we will stick with the Princess excursion - (a) it combines 2 things we would like to do, and (b) it will be easy and we won't have to "think" so we can just enjoy our vacation. However, for the next time we go (see, already thinking about future cruises! :p ), a private/personalized tour sounds fun. Thanks again!

Which sailing are you on? I'm on the 11/28 and I have booked this excursion. Same as you, I wanted to see the monkeys and thought the additional beach/lunch portion would be a nice way to unwind.

I did a lot of research and it does seem that, at least for us first-time Roatan visitors, a cruise line excursion is the way to go. I booked through outside companies in Grand Cayman and Cozumel but stuck with Princess given the location and current political climate.

Which sailing are you on? I'm on the 11/28 and I have booked this excursion. Same as you, I wanted to see the monkeys and thought the additional beach/lunch portion would be a nice way to unwind.

I did a lot of research and it does seem that, at least for us first-time Roatan visitors, a cruise line excursion is the way to go. I booked through outside companies in Grand Cayman and Cozumel but stuck with Princess given the location and current political climate.

12/19 Christmas...I totally agree with your thinking, which is why I was looking into this excursion. Maybe if you get a chance when you get back, you can give me (and everyone else) a little review?

Oh, West Bay! I had actually heard about that on the Roatan board. That was what I was looking into as another option instead of Tabyana. Thanks for getting the info!

Tabyana is actually a part of West Bay Beach. They are part of the same beach. Tabyana is where they bring the cruise ship passengers and is sanctioned off from the other resort areas. I've learned this from weeks of research, as we are going in January! I've seen huge mobs of cruisers there on youtube, but then it can be crowded anywhere on West Bay beach, I suppose. West End has another smaller beach, and there are many smaller less crowded beaches on the island, but they are not treated like West Bay and Tabayana for sand fleas. You must be thinking sand fleas??? Yes, but after seeing all of the pictures of this island, I still can't wait to go. I've read repeatedly that it is the best port on the cruise.

I think one thing to look at is how many ships will be in port that day. NCL also brings their passengers to Tabayana, as do most cruise ships. This would make for a very crowded small stretch of beach. Check out cruisett dot com for a schedule of all ports/ships on each day through the next year. It's a useful site.

I think we are going to go with victor bodden tours. I don't want to be squished into a small beach area and trapped without a driver. The bodden tour drivers stay with you all day, even when you are at the beach. They like to take you to the Mayan Princess on West Bay. They also have many pet monkeys at Booden's home that he can take you to see for much less money than the ones at Gumbalina, plus you can hold and pet them as long as you like.

Anyway, that's what I think we are going to do, because I'd also like to see West End, which is different from West Bay, and Parrot Tree Plantation, and maybe the Butterfly Farm, in addition to West Bay beach.

Those are just my thoughts from my recent research! I hope it was of some help.

12/19 Christmas...I totally agree with your thinking, which is why I was looking into this excursion. Maybe if you get a chance when you get back, you can give me (and everyone else) a little review?

Yes, of course. Would be happy to! That would leave you with plenty of time to change it if my experience is lame. LOL happy to be the guinea pig. ;)

Archived