Ncl post hawaii hilton village nightmare

twinnurses2

My sister and I had save our money and have worked hard for the past 35 years and decided to go on a cruise to Hawaii. We booked with NCL on the Pride of America. The cruise was great but the NCL hotel package was a nightmare. We had paid for the Rainbow Tower overlooking Diamond Head over 15 months prior to the cruise. We were never informed that NCL only books its people in the Tapa Tower and no other section of the hotel. We learned of this after we arrived to the hotel and was informed that NCL changed our request and booked us in the Tapa Tower. A letter was in our room stating that NCL takes request of guests but do not have to guarantee any requests made. If that is the case NCL should have informed us during the 15 months leading up to the cruise that the request we made would not be honored. Our view of the room overlooked 3 roof tops and some trees and the front desk called it a garden view. What a view!:eek:

Our 35 years of saving and dreams of being in the Rainbow Tower was busted and we were also told if we wanted the Rainbow Tower we would have to fork out more money and I could not see that when what we paid prior to the cruise is what it is normal for the view in the Rainbow Tower.

The Tapa Tower is very noisey.

How could you have "paid" for that tower if they don't book passengers into it? Did they have a listed charge that was higher for that tower than the one where you actually stayed? For example...NCL listed the Rainbow Tower at $300 per night and the and the Tapa Tower at $200, you paid $300, but you were put in the Tapa tower?

I'm sorry your hotel accommodations didn't meet your expectations.

The Pride of America was my first cruise. We booked our air, insurance, and one night post stay at the Marriott through NCL since I was not comfortable doing this myself for my first cruise.

Our room was nice, and we had a reasonable view, but nothing special. The cost for our airfare was comparable with what I found on line afterward, but we didn't land until 5 minutes after everyone was supposed to be on board, and one hour after the muster drill was held. They literally locked the doors to the check in area at the pier behind us when we got off the bus from the airport. We missed the afternoon on board the ship, and if there had been any delays at all, we would have missed the ship entirely and had to meet it at the next port.

Overall we had a great trip. And I still think the cruise and the islands were awesome. However, I learned that if I wanted specific travel arrangements, it was better to make them myself than to rely on what NCL (or any other cruise company) would make for me.

I now research everything and make my own reservations for air, hotel, cruise, rental cars, and trip insurance. This way I know what to expect. I usually get a better price, and I don't get frustrated with something I didn't want. Even then, there have been unexpected events with hotels canceling reservations at the last minute because of renovations, or rental car companies with lines so long that it would literally take hours in line to get the car, that we've had to make last minute changes. Still, overall I'm happier being in control of my own arrangements. Maybe this strategy will work better for you next time.

I stayed in the rainbow towers and our view was just of the marina that looks like the beginning of a Gilligan's Island episode with all the sailboats there. Enjoy yourself, honestly how long will you be in the room looking out the window? Enjoy the beauty of the island, go to the Polynesian Cultural Center, watch the cliff divers, take a helicopter tour, etc.....

My sister and I had save our money and have worked hard for the past 35 years and decided to go on a cruise to Hawaii. We booked with NCL on the Pride of America. The cruise was great but the NCL hotel package was a nightmare. We had paid for the Rainbow Tower overlooking Diamond Head over 15 months prior to the cruise. We were never informed that NCL only books its people in the Tapa Tower and no other section of the hotel. We learned of this after we arrived to the hotel and was informed that NCL changed our request and booked us in the Tapa Tower. A letter was in our room stating that NCL takes request of guests but do not have to guarantee any requests made. If that is the case NCL should have informed us during the 15 months leading up to the cruise that the request we made would not be honored. Our view of the room overlooked 3 roof tops and some trees and the front desk called it a garden view. What a view!:eek:

Our 35 years of saving and dreams of being in the Rainbow Tower was busted and we were also told if we wanted the Rainbow Tower we would have to fork out more money and I could not see that when what we paid prior to the cruise is what it is normal for the view in the Rainbow Tower.

Personally, if I saved for 35 years for something, I wouldn't trust the details to someone else. If you read these boards, you quickly realize that if you take the air/hotel packages from the cruiselines, a lot of your control is handed over to someone else.

And don't let memories of that one view ruin your lifelong dream.

Viv

As a point of information for those who allow the cruise line to make all their reservations, OP's letter could be quite useful. It is a shame, however, that OP is unable to focus on the great trip she had, rather than on what she might have missed.

When I was younger, I had a similar attitude. When I traveled, I was obsessed in seeing everything and doing everything at each travel site. As I matured, I realized that I got a great deal more pleasure out of my trips when I concentrated on those marvelous things I saw, and gave up trying to see everything. I have been fortunate enough to visit all but one of the 25 top manmade wonders of the world (still have not made it to Petra in Jordan). I am sure I missed some of the moai on Easter Island, some of the stone temples at Lalibela, some of the tombs in Egypt, and much more. But I so enjoyed what I did see at these sites that I am not disappointed by not seeing everything I might have at each location.

OP saved for 35 years to go to Hawaii, evidently had a great cruise, got to stay in a Hilton afterwards, presumably had good weather. How can it be a nightmare that the view out the hotel window was not what she expected?

I have always thought that the reason so many of the very rich and famous end up leading such miserable lives -- multiple divorces, addictions, suicide -- is that possessing unlimited resources must give them the sense that they are entitled to lead a perfect life, where not getting their expected window could lead to a tantrum. I hope OP reconsiders just how disastrous the lack of that window was to her adventure.

Bill

Overall we had a great trip. And I still think the cruise and the islands were awesome. However, I learned that if I wanted specific travel arrangements, it was better to make them myself than to rely on what NCL (or any other cruise company) would make for me.

That is so true and I wish the mods here would make that a 'sticky' on every one of the main-stream line boards. There are SO many complaints about air and hotel booked through the cruise line and people should be aware that it is definitely best to book these things on your own.

Are you saying you have saved for 35 years for just one cruise? Wow, you must have only saved a couple of $$ per year. As for the Rainbow tower, there are only a few rooms that overlook Diamond Head and the other views are probably better anyway. I have stayed in the Tapa Tower several times, and the Rainbow tower a couple of times.I am trying to imagine any rooftop views, I guess I just never saw or had one. Regardless, I really can't imagine not getting the view I had hoped for would be such a tramatic thing, thank God you didn't have a real problem...

Nita

Are you saying you have saved for 35 years for just one cruise? Wow, you must have only saved a couple of $$ per year.

Nita

why don't people really read what an OP writes..

this is what she said.

"My sister and I had to save our money and have worked hard for the past 35 years and decided to go on a cruise to Hawaii"

OP I certainly do feel bad for you that your trip was not the dream trip you looked forward to. Saying your view was a nightmare may be a little much IMHO, but I do think it is great you posted your experience here for others to see what can happen if you let anyone else make your travel arrangements for you.

OP I certainly do feel bad for you that your trip was not the dream trip you looked forward to. Saying your view was a nightmare may be a little much IMHO, but I do think it is great you posted your experience here for others to see what can happen if you let anyone else make your travel arrangements for you.

Even when you are diligent and make your own reservations, flights, etc. Stuff can happen. Stuff happens. There are a lot of details and expectations with a vacation. Odds are something will go wrong. It's a blessing when it's not something huge.

I, too, think it's unfortunate that the OP opted to focus on the what she deemed the "negative" aspect of the trip, when it sounds like everything else went well. I would hate to think that she is spoiling the memories of a great trip that she waited so long to take by dwelling on something like a view from a hotel.

Even if she had booked the hotel on her own, there is a chance that she would not have received the room that was requested. I'm a hotel manager and a lot of people don't realize that specific room requests are just that - a request. It is not a guarantee that you will get a king bed or two double beds or a smoking room or a non-smoking room or the room with the great view. You are guaranteed a reservation - everything else is a request that the hotel will try to accommodate.

I would like for the OP to post again and tell us what some of the good things were about the trip.

Michael

Thanks for sharing your experience OP..sorry to hear about your disappointment.

Hopefully other posters will learn something from your experience in regards to controlling/booking all aspects of their vacations....whether they saved their money or just charged it to their cc;)

it came after reading this post. It might be a disappointment but it surely wasn't a nightmare.

Otherwise the trip was fine as per the OP. it seems that everything is a nightmare or a disaster(including one posters whose luggage DID show up before they did.

Hyperbole....is clearly not dead.

it came after reading this post. It might be a disappointment but it surely wasn't a nightmare.

Otherwise the trip was fine as per the OP. it seems that everything is a nightmare or a disaster(including one posters whose luggage DID show up before they did.

Hyperbole....is clearly not dead.

At least they didn't complain about it being a cheap room.:D;)

Holy crap, if going on a cruise and then staying in Hawaii after was a NIGHTMARE, I can't imagine how the OP would handle any REAL problems. Geez folks, nothing is perfect. There are always problems in real life, even on vacation. Just roll with it, make the best of a negative situation, and try to enjoy what would be an unimaginable dream for 90% of the world's peoples who can barely find enough to eat. Get real here, folks.

I had assumed that when they said "our 35 years of saving" that meant it was their only cruise....but in looking into their profile, they were on the Golden Princess in 2008. It was a bit confusing to figure out just why they are complaining.....did they have a good time or not?

Archived