Helpful things to bring on the cruise

Murphy&Bailey

Third on the pop up laundry basket. We were 3 adults for 15 days. We popped it open in the closet. Ours had alittle "tab" so when filled, DH grabbed the "tab" and down he went to the laundry. He was a hit in the laundry room!

Clips for the "friendly" shower curtains to weigh them down and keep them were they belong!

Also, Cipro. I usually ask my PCP to give me an Rx for it. Cheap and a great antibiotic, especially traveling overseas.

A small roll of duct tape is a good idea - it can be used in so many "emergencies" - perhaps a damaged suitcase; a squeaky drawer or something else loose in your cabin; temporary watch strap repair; for the ladies it may be used as temporary stitching; temporary shoe repair - really the list becomes endless for "duct tape" repair.

AND ~~!!~~ ducttape.jpg

Does it make your day to correct someones

spelling or grammar?

You know what they mean. Do you have to

embarrass them? Their asking a question or

just talking. Give them a break!

Not everyone is as great as you!

Don't always use the right grammar or spelling.

It could just be a mistake as their typing.

It does happen.

Lighten up! This is a friendly board.

Go on a cruise and relax! :)

Thank you very much!!!!! When people get corrected by the spelling grammar police some are hurt and most likely will not come back.:(

I would say over the counter medications that we take for granted like tylenol, ibuprofen, hydrocortisone cream, benadryl etc. I was on a carnival cruise once and had an allergic reaction to something. Being an ER nurse, and my mother is a physician we knew exactly what I needed. However the gift shop did not carry what I needed so I had to go the Dr. onboard who was foreign and did not practice medicine like we do in the states. He would not give me what I needed, some simple benadryl and over the counter hydrocortisone. (I finally got some from the nurse who was British and a life saver!) Now I pack my own little pharmacy with me!

It doesn't take much room to bring a lot of over the counter "just in case" drugs. I do the same thing. I highly recommend Imodium!:p

For those who read this whole thread, let me second the assertion that it is considered completely inappropriate to correct spelling and grammar mistakes of other contributors -- not just here but on all public boards. What a shallow life if this is how one gets joy.

Bill

Another Thank You!

To the Original Poster, please do not be put off by these few grammar, spelling police types. Most posters on CC are more than willing to help without making anyone feel bad!

I always bring 2 different colored highlighters. One for me and one for my mate. We use these to highlight the activities we are interested in that are in your evening "Daily" of activities and announcements.

I also bring Post It notes and pen to leave messages on the bathroom mirror for the cabin Steward.

A good book is of the utmost importance to me!

Pencil and paper for taking notes so I can do a review on CC.

A container of powdered Hazelnut Dairy Coffee creamer and a small container to transfer some to breakfast for my morning fake "latte".

A thermal coffee mug as the coffee cups are very tiny and if eating in the buffet they cool off very fast!

Happy Sails:)

We love our “front-pocket” wallets—just big enough for the cruise card, ID, one credit card and a money clip for cash. The minute we get on board, our “big wallets” go into the safe and we only use the front-pocket wallets for the duration of the cruise.

Agree with the others that taking a reasonable amount of OTC drugs and first aid supplies is a good idea--they're very expensive on the ship and who wants to spend port time trying to find a drugstore! The trick to keeping them packable is to get rid of as much of the packaging as possible.

Like Chesie, we carry Cipro anytime we’re going anywhere the water is “iffy.” Doc says Cipro + Immodium is the best cure for “tourista” (it won’t work for Norovirus). Fortunately, we’ve never had to test her recommendation (touch wood).

And don’t forget to take a few extra days worth of any prescription medicines. You never know when you’ll be delayed.

Am I correct in reading this that you can take blank DVD's with you to transfer images to and if the case what is the charge to do this in the photo gallery.

I had to purchase a disc, so there was no transfer charge - the way the machine seemed to work, I would think if you bring a disc you can self transfer with no charge. Lots of folks seemed to be just using the viewers on their own. I could be wrong though, so this is not the gospel truth.

Something I just remebered - before every cruise I go to the Dollar Store and buy about $20 worth of Canadian trinkets ie. pens, neck lanyards, luggage tags or similar - I hand them out to those crew members who go that extra step for me and it is unbelievable how a small item can bring so many smiles and hugs!!

Better yet, tune the TV to View from the Bridge Channel. Mute volumn. It will be dark all night, then in the morning it will be daylight, Just like a window.

That is an AMAZING suggestion !!

I was just wondering how I was going to deal with the kids nightlight problem in our inside room and the fact that there aren't many electrical plugs (plus, we need to recharge all the day stuff, like cameras and Ipods).

TV on BridgeCam !! That's so smart !!

Just an FYI - for those safes that may use the credit card swipe don't use an expired credit card. Use a plastic gift card such as a Starbucks card that has no more money on it.

The reason being is if you use an expired credit card and you have the new one in your wallet the the consumer information is still on the magnetic strip. For all you cruisers out there NEVER use a real credit card even if its expired use something that has no value to you and has no consumer information on it...such as a gift card with no balance on it.

Mimi

One of the OP mentioned travel size Lysol spray. I bought one of those for my last cruise trip (thought of using it to spray the pillows...), but never brought it with me because on another thread, someone mentioned because it is an "aerosol" spray, it can not be in your carry on bag or check-in bag. Is that true?

Thanks.

I bring a power extension cord to plug in by vanity/desk area. Otherwise there are only 2 spots to plug in items and it seems like never enough or wrong configuration to plug in 2 items.

Bathroom outlet is only for shavers.

Pop up hamper. Can carry it easily to laundry room if you need to wash stores easily in suitcase folded and in closet in cabin.

Just returned from the Caribbean Princess cruise on 10-24-09 and had both of these items.

At the risk of making a typo and being attacked again :mad:, we also like to take binoculars and a backpack for excursions. We keep Purell, gum, the port handout (for the shipping company info in case of emergency), binocs, etc so the backpack is ready to go at a moments notice. Since we arrive in the departure city a day early, we do a drug store/grocery store run for Lysol spray, water, flowers, sun tan stuff, etc - cuts down on the weight of the luggage for more important stuff.

Doug

someone mentioned because it is an "aerosol" spray, it can not be in your carry on bag or check-in bag. Is that true?

Thanks.

My hairspray is in an aerosol can. Since I take a large one for longer cruises, it goes in my checked luggage without incident.

I've never tried carrying an aerosol in carry-on luggage. If TSA doesn't explicitly prohibit it, you can probably check a small aerosol spray in your carry-on.

If you're still concerned, you could shop in your port of embarkation. We usually do that for things we don't want to carry or can't--like wine. So far, Princess isn't confiscating wine like other cruise lines.

I haven't heard that they're confiscating sodas or water. Water on the ship is fine--I think it's processed by reverse osmosis. So, it's safe and good IMO. I just take a couple of bottles with me and fill them up from the tap.

Thank you for the information.

I don't remember how many oz is my travel size Lysol (either 2 or 4 oz). When I get home tonight, I will check it. If it is 3 oz or less, I will bring it with my carry on. If it is not allowed, then I will just throw it away at the airport.

My embarkation port is Venice. I don't know if I will be able to find a convenient store that sells Lysol spray.

Hi there!

Love this thread! And I went to the TSA site, just to check on items I need to be aware of and here is what it said about aerosol cans:

Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities)

Checked Baggage: No

Carry-on Baggage: No

So it looks like hairspray and a small Lysol canister should be fine.

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you for the information.

I don't remember how many oz is my travel size Lysol (either 2 or 4 oz). When I get home tonight, I will check it. If it is 3 oz or less, I will bring it with my carry on. If it is not allowed, then I will just throw it away at the airport.

My embarkation port is Venice. I don't know if I will be able to find a convenient store that sells Lysol spray.

where do you find travel sized lysol? i've tried some stores like target and have not been able to find them

My hairspray is in an aerosol can. Since I take a large one for longer cruises, it goes in my checked luggage without incident.

I've never tried carrying an aerosol in carry-on luggage. If TSA doesn't explicitly prohibit it, you can probably check a small aerosol spray in your carry-on.

If you're still concerned, you could shop in your port of embarkation. We usually do that for things we don't want to carry or can't--like wine. So far, Princess isn't confiscating wine like other cruise lines.

I haven't heard that they're confiscating sodas or water. Water on the ship is fine--I think it's processed by reverse osmosis. So, it's safe and good IMO. I just take a couple of bottles with me and fill them up from the tap.

My hairspray comes in a mini 2oz and is aerosol and I have never had a problem with carrying it on. I always try to travel with only carry-ons, especially since they now charge.

where do you find travel sized lysol? i've tried some stores like target and have not been able to find them

Do you have a Harmon Discount store near you? If so, most of them have a huge area as you walk in the store devoted to travel size items, including Lysol. Harmon's mostly sell Health and Beauty Aids (HBAs) and are a subsidiary of Bed Bath and Beyond (BBB). BBB may also have the trial size Lysol.

Im not sure if this still applies but me and my family take photocopies of our passports. Im sure at St Thomas this year we needed to take our passports ashore to get back through security. Im not one for taking my passport to the beach or to the shops for that matter incase my bag gets stolen or i lose it. We passed security with no problems at all.

Archived