First cruise!! Some Questions

Texas Stalker

I accidentally posted this in the Carnival section..

1-What do you do with your camera, money and other possesions that cant get wet while in the ocean?

2-For people that take underwater pics, disposable camera or waterproof case?

3-How much alcohol will Carnival "let" you bring in in your luggage?

4-We are leaving our 2 year old with grandma so we need a access to a phone.. Best way to have steady contact? Right now I am leaning towards renting a satellite phone. Better option?

5-Do I need trip insurance? Why?

Thank you!

Some take turns going into the water so that someone is always with the things. Others bring a plastic sealable bag and put the things in there and go in the water. Personally, I take as little as possible and get one of those plastic lanyards where my sign and sail card, my driver's license and cash can be kept dry while in the water.

Unless you're going to be going on a lot of trips where you'd use the waterproof holder, I'd stick with the disposible.

Technically, you're not supposed to bring any alcohol on board. People do smuggle a bit of whatever.

Does your cell phone have international calling? That's probably cheaper than renting a phone. You can call for as little as $.99 a minute to $2.49 a minute. You can also do email using the ship's computers.

Do YOU need trip insurance? Only you can decide. Can you afford to lose all your fare if you get sick at the last minute, or your child gets sick at the last minute, or if you should have any kind of last minute accident and can't cruise? Can you afford to be medically evacuated off the ship if you're sick or injured---at a cost of over $20,000? Does your private insurance cover you when out of the USA? Think of all the eventualities and decide if you can afford to lose all your money should you have to cancel at the last minute.

Carnival sells a very nice underawater cameras onboard... they're about $25.

I bought one on my first-ever cruise (I'm a scuba diver) and I've used it ever since.

It's not digital... it works on 35mm film.... but I've taken some great pics with it!

Yoy definitely need travel insurance... even the slightest medical problem on a cruise... on or off board... costs more money than the cost of the policy!

Carnival lets each person bring a bottle of wine.... anything more is usually 'smuggled'!

1-What do you do with your camera, money and other possesions that cant get wet while in the ocean?

Like other have said - either one person stays with stuff or buy a waterproof bag for them.

A disposabe underwater camera actually takes pretty nice photos - and you don't have to worry so much if it does get lost, stolen or damaged.

Each person over 21 can bring 1 750ml bottle of wine - after that its up to your

4-We are leaving our 2 year old with grandma so we need a access to a phone.. Best way to have steady contact? Right now I am leaning towards renting a satellite phone. Better option?

A satellite phone will not make or receive calls from inside the ship - you will need to be up on one of the higher decks outside so the phone can see the satellite. A cell phone with international calling enabled is probably the best option. Check with your cell provider.

This really is personal preference - like any insurance - how much "risk" are you willing to assume and how much do you want to pass on to an insurer?

Thank you!

Enjoy your cruise!

Money can get wet...it will still "spend". So can credit cards and your ship's room key--they're plastic...and waterproof.

No one wants your flip-flops or t-shirt...you can leave that on the beach. Surely your aren't swimming so far that you can't "keep an eye" on your stuff...that's what we do.

We don't bring alot of cash and only 1 credit card (not linked to our ship's account), and there will be others from the ship around you...make friends and ask them to keep an eye out, too!

Don't bring expensive cameras and electronics....that's what theives are looking for!

There is an emergency number your mother can call, should the need arise. You really don't need to be in constant contact....your mom raised you---she'll take great care of her grandchild...trust me!

Your cell phone will most likely work in ports (even tho you'll pay for that!) and e-mail on the ship is the cheapest way to "touch base".

Money can get wet...it will still "spend". So can credit cards and your ship's room key--they're plastic...and waterproof.

No one wants your flip-flops or t-shirt...you can leave that on the beach. Surely your aren't swimming so far that you can't "keep an eye" on your stuff...that's what we do.

We don't bring alot of cash and only 1 credit card (not linked to our ship's account), and there will be others from the ship around you...make friends and ask them to keep an eye out, too!

Don't bring expensive cameras and electronics....that's what theives are looking for!

There is an emergency number your mother can call, should the need arise. You really don't need to be in constant contact....your mom raised you---she'll take great care of her grandchild...trust me!

Your cell phone will most likely work in ports (even tho you'll pay for that!) and e-mail on the ship is the cheapest way to "touch base".

So do cell phones not work at all when the ship is not at a port? I could probably get by, but my wife has been worried since we booked the cruise!! lol!!

Cell phones will work on the ship, the price is $2.49/minute. DH used it for work and the bill wasn't too bad. Check the international rates on your cell plan.

Do not know your itin but we have AT&T and the USVI was the same price as at home.

So do cell phones not work at all when the ship is not at a port? I could probably get by, but my wife has been worried since we booked the cruise!! lol!!

The ship probably has a Cellular at Sea tower ... the rates are high but good for an emergency. Data is even pricier at a per/kb rate.

Most cruise ships have the capability for cell phones to be used on board the ship when at sea. You will need international calling with your cell. They will turn off the ship's cell phone towers when you get within a couple of miles of a port, but then you can access the port's towers. Satellite phones aren't really that great for a ship unless you are out on deck.

Thank you!

If I'm going on a snorkeling trip off a boat, I don't even bring my regular camera and I just leave my clothes on the boat. If I'm going to a beach that has a locker, I'll bring my regular camera and lock my stuff up. I use a waterproof pouch for my id, money, etc... You can find them on amazon.

I've always brought a disposable and been perfectly happy, but I'm thinking about getting an underwater digital or getting a new camera and then an underwater case for my old camera so I can take video underwater as well. But I'm still deciding on that front.

Techincally, you can each bring a bottle of wine. Carry that on. Don't carry the other stuff on :)

Yes, your cell phone will probably work if you need it, but mine goes in the safe happily. I would rely on the emergency number if grandma needs anything or use the internet to check by e-mail. I would check with your cell provider and see what costs would be. It may be more cost effective to pay for an internet plan and just have her call you (I think it's 10 dollars a minute) if there's an emergency. You can always buy a phone card in port too and call from there.

I always get trip insurance just in case. But you have to book most plans within 14 days to cover any preexisting conditions. Try insuremytrip.com for third party insurance and to compare plans.

Definitely be careful with cell phones when at sea. No matter what your cell provider charges, you will be charged by the ship for using it's signal. There have been horror stories from first time cruisers who thought they were paying a low cost to use their cell phone and ended up with hundreds of dollars in charges.

Suggest purchasing a internet package and communicate that way.:)

Definitely be careful with cell phones when at sea. No matter what your cell provider charges, you will be charged by the ship for using it's signal. There have been horror stories from first time cruisers who thought they were paying a low cost to use their cell phone and ended up with hundreds of dollars in charges.

Suggest purchasing a internet package and communicate that way.:)

How can I confirm this? I called Carnival to double check if my cell phone would work and also asked if they charge anything for using their tower and they said no...

Can anyone else confirm there is an extra charge from Carnival itself?

You are going to get charged for using Carnivals cell tower. talking is $2.49 per minute. Text messages are .50 a pop. Even if you don't answer if someone calls you still get hit with one minute per call. This will not show up on your Sign and Sail account. It will show up on your cell bill as a "present" later.

You are going to get charged for using Carnivals cell tower. talking is $2.49 per minute. Text messages are .50 a pop. Even if you don't answer if someone calls you still get hit with one minute per call. This will not show up on your Sign and Sail account. It will show up on your cell bill as a "present" later.

I see on Verizon where it is $2.49/minute but do not see an additional charge mentioned on Verizon or Carnival's website.

Does anyone know how much it is? Is it per call?

OK, I called Verizon and they said they only charge the cruise ship rate of $2.49/minute.. I called Carnival and wrote down the date, time and name of person I spoke with and she said they do not charge an additional fee for using their cell tower..

Can you show me a link to where it states it on Carnival's website? I could not find it.

We have AT&T and were able to call from ALL ports in the SO, Western and EASTERN Caribbean...no problem. We used the internet cafe also. We always leave the Ship-To-Shore number to reach our ship. Each ship has a different number. We sail RCCL, but I'm sure Carnival has the same. Check the message Boards...that's how I found the number for the ship we would be sailing on.

Archived