Oh great! They canceled my excursion!

It's always the ones you agonize over and plan for the longest!:p We decided to do the Airboats and Alligators tour with airport drop off instead of getting a car or shuttle back to the airport. Now I got an email saying they canceled it because the tour operator won't offer them that day.:( Darn - I was so looking forward to it. Now I need to figure out what to do all over again! I didn't want to rent a car after the cruise because I've heard of hassles where people had to wait hours for a car. I didn't want to take a shuttle because my flight home is at 2:30. Ah well, back to the drawing board, I guess....:)

Unfortunately that happens a lot. We had a helicopter excursion booked from Antigua over Montseratt (the volcano) Our money was mysteriously refunded with no explanation. Come to find out when I contacted the tour company, that a hurricane had destroyed their helicopters. Oh well, maybe next time we get to Antigua...whenever that might be. :)

Unfortunately that happens a lot. We had a helicopter excursion booked from Antigua over Montseratt (the volcano) Our money was mysteriously refunded with no explanation. Come to find out when I contacted the tour company, that a hurricane had destroyed their helicopters. Oh well, maybe next time we get to Antigua...whenever that might be. :)

A helicopter ride? Oh, that would have been really exciting - sorry you didn't get to do it!

I guess my point was...(and I did have a point);) was that we could only book the excursion through RCCL. It is possible that you could book directly through the company and they might have luggage handling available? Or if you cabbed to the airboat place they cold hold it and someone could take you back to the airport? :D:):D

Check out the "I Work In Port Canaveral" thread over on East Coast Departures: Florida Departures.

Ten to one someone there knows someone who offers excursions or tours. Plus they'll give you the scoop on renting cars & if some of the offices are easier to deal with than others. :)

It's always the ones you agonize over and plan for the longest!:p We decided to do the Airboats and Alligators tour with airport drop off instead of getting a car or shuttle back to the airport. Now I got an email saying they canceled it because the tour operator won't offer them that day.:( Darn - I was so looking forward to it. Now I need to figure out what to do all over again! I didn't want to rent a car after the cruise because I've heard of hassles where people had to wait hours for a car. I didn't want to take a shuttle because my flight home is at 2:30. Ah well, back to the drawing board, I guess....:)

Be thankful that they canceled it this soon. On our first cruise, we booked an excursion through the ship in Belize (Bike Ride Through Belize). A day or so before we were to be in Belize we arrived back at our cabin to find a note telling us that the Bike Ride Through Belize Tour had been canceled and to contact excursion desk to make other plans. The next day when I visited the excursion desk I found out that my son and I were the only people who had booked this excursion...HA!

At least they canceled yours before you are on board and have time to research and choose something else. Have a great cruise!

We did have a car rental problem returning from Port Canaveral, but if we had been able to have been more flexible, it wouldn't have been bad. We were 5 people (so we were limited in terms of vehicle size) and we wanted to stop by Downtown Disney on the way to the airport (so we had to decline their offer of immediate free shuttle to the airport). Just get off the ship early and right over to the car rental place.

I received the same notice yesterday, though without a specific explanation. We were doing the Kennedy Space Center. We have a late flight, so now we are deciding how to spend the time. Currently leaning to renting a car and doing Downtown Disney.

The cancelations are usually because not enough people have signed up for them. We had this happen on our last cruise. We had the tickets delivered to our cabin one day and the next a note from the excursion desk that the whole thing had been canceled due to lack of participation.

Ugh - yeah, the later flight time is a bummer, right? It was weird because I booked this a while ago and then it, the Kennedy Space Center tour and all tours actually disappeared from the site - so I assumed they had all been booked up. The message I got from RCCL actually said that the tour operator isn't running that day....weird.

I'll look in to a car I guess but we didn't want to do Disney and will probably be beached out....that's a good idea to look into doing it on our own, thanks!

I am totally grateful they canceled now though, would be a pain on the ship with less resources to find something new!

Lucky,

Really sorry you have to miss this excursion! I've done it three times (NCL, HAL, RCI), as they all book this excursion to the same venue. It's a fantastic experience and I feel badly you won't be able to do it. I don't think the "undersold" reason is why it was canceled because this is a very popular tour, and several lines offer it. This venue does a lot ofbusiness! I think there's another tour offered - Miami Sightseeing" or something like that. It would be easier than renting a car, and they keep your luggage on the bus and drop you off at the airport. Might be worth checking out. Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

If you can find a way to get to Kennedy Space Center if indeed those tours are full or cancelled it would be WELL worth your while. It is Florida's greatest attraction...it's all real and such a huge tribute to what we can do when we put our minds to something........you only need about 4-5 hours to get a real feel for the Space Center and far better experience than just another day at the beach.....

Lucky,

Really sorry you have to miss this excursion! I've done it three times (NCL, HAL, RCI), as they all book this excursion to the same venue. It's a fantastic experience and I feel badly you won't be able to do it. I don't think the "undersold" reason is why it was canceled because this is a very popular tour, and several lines offer it. This venue does a lot ofbusiness! I think there's another tour offered - Miami Sightseeing" or something like that. It would be easier than renting a car, and they keep your luggage on the bus and drop you off at the airport. Might be worth checking out. Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Please pardon my goof! I thought you were disembarking at MIA or FLL!

(Slinking away with tail between legs...)

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I'm wondering if the other folks that got canceled on made new plans and want to share? I'm really at a loss at the moment and HAVE to finish my cruise planning before midterms, lol!:p I'll be staring at the test thinking "maybe we can rent a car and go to Seaworld?":D Need. To. Concentrate!:eek:

By the way, here is the wording of the email I got, making me think it wasn't canceled due to low bookings. Anyone else ever gotten this message?

Special Note:

Dear Guests,

Please be advised that the tour operator has advised us that the tours at Port Canaveral for the Freedom of the Seas will not be offered for your sailing date. The tour has been cancelled from your booking and your credit card will be refunded accordingly. Please revisit the website or once on board the vessel to purchase an alternate tour. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and we look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Thank you.

Hi again! So this is crazy, but I was just checking my res online and checked if there was anything available as an excursion for the last day (there has been nothing listed) and lo and behold, there was Airboats and Alligators with airport drop off AND Kennedy Space Center with airport drop off! So I booked it again right away and it went through fine! To all the other folks that mentioned losing their res for these things go check to see if its back.

I was wondering if it were a haggling over price type thing or a scheduling thing - nice to see it back for whatever reason, though....:D

On my last cruise, my boyfriend and I had booked the Kennedy Space Center/airport tranfer and had that cancelled on us in the middle of the trip! We too had a later flight and didn't want to sit around the airport all day. The excursion desk wasn't much help when we asked about what we could do. It was funny though that we were the only two people who signed up. We ended up booking a car rental with our internet credits from the coupon book and just did the tour on our own. Although the last minute planning cut into some of our sun time, it was definitely worth the visit and probably cheaper and more relaxed than if the excursion happened through them. Good luck.

Archived