Tipping Room Steward Extra on First Day...

itzkelly

Never felt the need to do that. Isn't keeping the ice bucket filled one of their duties? It's always been full of ice. :confused:

Actually, yeh, should be part of their duties:cool: however, last year, we always had to ask to keep the buckets full...

my SIL was in the cabin next to ours and she commented how their cabin was missed cleaning, didn't have ice refreshed and no towel animals one night...so yeh...it's part of their duties but may not be consistant all the time...

I don't tip in the beginning but I do tip midway if they are going above and beyond their service. My cabin steward on the Splendor was great so needless to say he got a tip midway and a tip at the end just because. They work damn hard on those ships so I say why not.

Does anyone do this? We did not pre-pay our tipping, but rather have it set up to bill our card... I am wondering, though, if any of you hand over your room steward something extra on the first day (ie. $20 bill) and if so, do you notice any particular 'personalized' service from him/her? I have read, for example, some cruisers tip in the beginning in order to get ice filled up each day in their room...would they not do this otherwise?

Just curious if people actually do notice MORE attentiveness by their stewards when they receive extra $$ early on...

Thanks!

Kelly :)

Kelly,

We prepay our tips. That is just us. Our steward, we have always met and talked with on the first day, sailing day. We inform the steward of our needs, ice bucket filled, mini fridge stock and a few extra towels. We also inform the steward that each morning when he/she cleans the room, the tip left on the table is left for the steward. We have received nothing less but exceptional service. Then on the last evening, we write a thank you card and add an additional tip. We are not bribing anyone. We are rewarding a very hard working steward for a job well done. We are not asking for any special treatment other than ice, frig stocked and few towels if needed. The personal tip you leave in the cabin goes to the steward. Usually we leave $5.00. We have left as much as $10.00. That is just us. This next cruise we will also include the Assist Steward on the last evening which we learned on CC board. Again, this is just what we do and only offering our opinion to your question!:D

I really think this is tacky. Sounds more like a bribe than a tip.

Very tacky to tip up front. Its a bribe! All you have to do is ask and you will receive. Tip extra at the end of cruise.

We never tip in advance, and STILL have our every wish fulfilled. That's their job! If you ask, they will gladly do it. Then, you tip them well for keeping you so happy. There's no need to advance tip/bribe!

For those of you who consider this a "bribe", perhaps you'd be better off referring to the tip at the end of the cruise as a "kickback". After all, you're paying them money after the fact for doing something special for you. It even has the same negative connotation as "bribe".

On the Imagination I didn't tip up front because I had no idea who my steward was! On the Freedom, Phillippe introduced himself to us right off. I did tip him up front as well as at the end (he was excellent). Just as an aside, if we're staying at a resort or hotel, I was taught it's considered good etiquette to leave a daily tip for the people who work on your room. I figure no matter when you tip, it's good!

Does anyone do this? We did not pre-pay our tipping, but rather have it set up to bill our card... I am wondering, though, if any of you hand over your room steward something extra on the first day (ie. $20 bill) and if so, do you notice any particular 'personalized' service from him/her? I have read, for example, some cruisers tip in the beginning in order to get ice filled up each day in their room...would they not do this otherwise?

Just curious if people actually do notice MORE attentiveness by their stewards when they receive extra $$ early on...

Thanks!

Never. That's equivalent to throwing it straight to the trash.

Actually, yeh, should be part of their duties:cool: however, last year, we always had to ask to keep the buckets full...

my SIL was in the cabin next to ours and she commented how their cabin was missed cleaning, didn't have ice refreshed and no towel animals one night...so yeh...it's part of their duties but may not be consistant all the time...

This was because of all the per tippers. There was no time for the normal duties.:)

For those of you who consider this a "bribe", perhaps you'd be better off referring to the tip at the end of the cruise as a "kickback". After all, you're paying them money after the fact for doing something special for you. It even has the same negative connotation as "bribe".

I agree

A tip is defined as a gift or sum of money for service rendered or anticipated

I have tipped in advance when asking for something over and above the norm. IE: a robe when i didnt qualify for one in my cabin....Keeping my collapsible cooler full of ice..... PLEASE find me some shaving cream

All the other times that I didnt I never had issues with room attendants on Carnival If there was something lacking I just brought it to their attention and it was taken care of

NOW the wait staff and that is a completly different story:mad:different thread

We have tipped at the beginning, in the middle and extra at the end! Good service should be rewarded. We tipped as soon as we met our room steward on our last cruise and we had our luggage 5 minutes later. We didn't ask nor expect it but it does tell me they appreciate it. Call it a bribe if you want. They make extra money and I get excellent service I say its a win win situation!

We always "bribe" our room steward when we first meet and exchange names. Never had a problem and don't want any. Only thing I have noticed is...on two different cruises now, we thought our luggage was the only luggage that had not arrived, only to find out it was in our cabin.

We always "bribe" our wait staff the first night also. We do this when we go out to dinner at home.

We also, and this one is a must, "bribe" the lido deck bartender/barmaid the first thing we get on. I'll ask him/her is he/she is gonna be at that bar all cruise. If the answer is yes they get a nice "bribe" right then and there. I'll tell them to remember this face. I have had beer waiting for me when I got to the bar, even if they were swamped.

So what I'm trying to say is...don't tip till the end. This way we'll get the better service till the last night.

Thanks!

Hey Kelly,

Be yourself, if you want to tip extra do so. I would never tip anyone to remember my face. But that is only my opinion. Just like I don't need to list the cruises I have been on. Do not think that is necessary. Have a great time on your next cruise, and only offered my opinion.

Only once did we give the cabin steward $20 up front. From that point forward we had to request many things that are routine in nature. The level of service clearly departed the norm - or, at least the norm as we've known it. May be that he was overworked, without help, or was just being more attentive to a squeakier wheel, but the difference was notable. Just my observation.

Leon

I haven't tipped at the beginning of a carnival cruise, but did on a NCL ship.... It was when NCL started sailing with an all American crew and there were lots and lots of problems with staff. I wanted a nice cruise and so I did bribe the room Stewart and very glad I did!

I did tip $10.00 in advance once. I asked the steward to make sure my DD got a towel animal every night. She was tickled pink. He took very good care of us and he got another $20.00 on the last night. Well worth it to make sure my DD was happy! He may have done it anyway but I didn't want to take any chances.:) It was her first cruise.

[quote name='itzkelly']Does anyone do this? We did not pre-pay our tipping, but rather have it set up to bill our card... I am wondering, though, if any of you hand over your room steward something extra on the first day (ie. $20 bill) and if so, do you notice any particular 'personalized' service from him/her? I have read, for example, some cruisers tip in the beginning in order to get ice filled up each day in their room...would they not do this otherwise?

Thanks!

Kelly :)[/quote]

Ive always given extra at the end, but have thought the same.
In European hotels - it pays off, but my experiences on cruises is that the room is always kept immaculate and well provided for without tipping up front.
Although European, I am a believer of giving extra for good service, and these guys/gals work very hard to please you. :):)

Archived