Tipping Room Steward Extra on First Day...

itzkelly

Does anyone do this? We did not pre-pay our tipping, but rather have it set up to bill our card... I am wondering, though, if any of you hand over your room steward something extra on the first day (ie. $20 bill) and if so, do you notice any particular 'personalized' service from him/her? I have read, for example, some cruisers tip in the beginning in order to get ice filled up each day in their room...would they not do this otherwise?

Just curious if people actually do notice MORE attentiveness by their stewards when they receive extra $$ early on...

Thanks!

Kelly :)

What we did on the last 3 cruises is give our Room Steward $5 for a fresh clean comforter ( I have a dirty comforter phobia) It was the best $5 spent!! The steward was happy and I slept peaceful and cozy warm all week. I dont believe this is tacky at all but rather an extra Thank you for something that they would have probably done anyways but dont have to. :)

Yes, I leave some $ along with a note of things I need/want. Does it make any difference in service? I couldn't tell you ... but I don't do it as a bribe - I do it as a thank you for the items on my list, because 9/10 times I will not be there when the steward takes care of them & I prefer to tip at point of service for these extras as well as leaving the auto tips. ... but that's just me.

We generally do not unless we have a special request. For example the last cruise we took on some canned drinks and a collapsable cooler, we gave him $20 the first day to keep it full of ice. Not only did he do that, but he'd empty the melted ice AND fill it with our canned drinks we brought on. Including beer ;)

we always over tip the cabin steward,little things like extra pillows,ice in your cooler,even an extra chair realy helps to make your cruise go smoother.

just got off the triumph saturday. had a wonderful time

p.s. if your that worried about a few bucks on vacation you should do somthing different.

adrienne & nick

( to many cruises to list)

Why would it be tacky?? :confused: It's not as if we are going to cut back on the regular tip...

I agree with itzkelly! Why would it be tacky?

I pre pay my gratuity's but I also leave a $20 at the first of the cruise with a little note asking that my ice bucket be kept fresh and full and for a couple of extra pillows.

What person in the service industry wouldn't appreciate it and most likely go a little extra for a nice gratuity? After all, the room stewards count on gratuity as a large part of their wages.

We generally do not unless we have a special request. For example the last cruise we took on some canned drinks and a collapsable cooler, we gave him $20 the first day to keep it full of ice. Not only did he do that, but he'd empty the melted ice AND fill it with our canned drinks we brought on. Including beer ;)

Nice! This is our train of thought as well...I know we'll have a similar request with our cooler, not to mention we are bringing along two very active boys (4 and 2), who may get the floors a bit messy if we are ever snacking or eating in the room.

There is absolutely no need to 'pre-tip' your room steward (and I have heard some of them may find it insulting?). I also have some 'requests' usually some extra hangers, or pillow - my ice is refreshed, refilled twice a day (without asking! - this is something they would normally do). The room steward does his usual stuff throughout the week and I leave the auto tips on and always tip extra at the end of the week - assuming the service has been adequate and any small requests filled.

You don't tip a waiter before the meal to ensure you get good service or the salad dressing on the side or some lemon slices for your water why would you do that on a cruise??

We like having the bottled water sitting in ice, so tipping him something on the first day is not a problem, or day two, or 3, etc., and having the tip built in is not a problem either. These people work very hard, and in most cases send all their money home to a family. It's a vacation, time to spend some of those precious dollars we work our butts off for.

cb at sea you have a good point

i have done it both ways but now i tip the cabin steward first, tell him or her what i want and then only think about ME for the rest of the trip.life is too short to agonize about this.

the only thing i am thinking about now is the next cruise in feb.

I usually always tip at the end of a cruise as usual, or more if someone has been especially helpful. But, on the last two cruises we have had our Cabin Crawl/Poker Run ending in our cabin for the party. I told them on the first day that this was happening and all the extra things I would be needing, as well as the clean up and gave him a $20. I don't consider this a bribe, but a thank you in advance to have everything ready to go on time.

Just off the Legend and had two awesome cabin stewards, Ketut and Bagus!

There is no need to pre tip them to get good service....DH and I were just friendly and enjoyed talking with them...thus establishing a fun relationship with them during the entire cruise...in return (without cash bribes) we recieved above and beyond excellent service....ice bucket and carnival cooler filled twice a day without asking, wine chilled in fridge without asking, and extra towel animals left in our room...we had three animals at one time...a small chicken on the table, a pig in the bathroom and our normal bed animal...I love those towel animals....but the best service to us was the personal conversations we shared with the guys several times a day...and how they would ask us what we had planned for the day and how our day went...

We did give both of them extra nice tips on the last day!

On the last day I also asked them if they wanted our extra cans of pop and candy I had brought along and they happily took it...

We have always slipped the room steward a $20 on the first day of the cruise. I know they will provide great service without me having to do something extra for them. I just enjoy giving to people who serve me. I always give cocktail servers a couple of dollars when they bring me a drink. I enjoy bringing a smile to their face. I know they appreciate our generosity. I must say that I have tipped other service providers off of cruise ships and not received any appreciation.

Look, these workers are there for the money, not the glamour. I obviously can afford a $20 here and there otherwise I should not be on a cruise. Share the wealth is my point of view. I have a little extra, so why not share with those who do not.:):)

You are giving them money as thanks either way - does it REALLY matter if it's before or after?

I tip at the beginning of the week to let them know that they're going to get what it is that they are really working for. And I can promise you it's not your friendship or leftovers.

Can you imagine all the people who say "This stuff is in their job description" and then tip minimally, or don't tip them at all, because the stewards didn't go "above and beyond" those already high expectations? Then the steward worked as hard for that lack of tip as he did for my up front tip.

I'd rather let my steward know that his work is definitely going to be rewarded. And while I know some say this gives the steward the right to slack off because they already have my money, I've never seen it happen.

Then again, we are easy to please so we don't make ridiculous requests to begin with.

You don't tip a waiter before the meal to ensure you get good service or the salad dressing on the side or some lemon slices for your water why would you do that on a cruise??

TIPS = To Insure Proper Service.

When I was a cocktail waitress, you better believe I paid more attention to people who tipped me when they ordered. I knew that my prompt service and constantly checking to make sure they were satisfied was what would lead to a better tip at the end of the night.

Archived