Help with rebooking?!

PintoLvr

OK, I know it could have happened. I used an online discount cruise agency last January to book a Caribbean cruise on Oceania for March of 2010. I just got a call from Oceania (bless them) letting me know that the agency I booked with has gone out of business. Luckily my monies are there, the cabin of my choice, the excursions I prepaid, and the perks (pre-paid gratuities and $500 shipboard credit) that lured us on this cruise to begin with are on record with Oceania. But, now I will owe a grand more because I am dealing directly with Oceania. We are lucky to be able to do a cruise anyway due to these economic times. We do it to keep our sanity! So, is there anyone out there that would have any suggestions of what I can do? Do I seek another agency to take over this booking and hopefully not have to come up with another grand, or do I just cancel and take that punishment? I greatly appreciate any help you can give me. Lani

Compare your original Guest Statement with the new Guest Statement from Oceania to see where the difference is. Did they cancel the old booking and give you a new booking number? Did they forget to give you credit for not using their "Free Air"? Then ask Oceania why they aren’t honoring their original price.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

Crystal – Serenity, December 10, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

Auntie Pat, I did compare and everything is accounted for, and I asked Oceania to match the price and they said they could not. Same booking number, same credits as before, but fare is not discounted as it was with the travel "agency". Thanks for your help tho!

I suspect you will not find another agency that can match the shipboard credit, prepaid gratuities and additional $1,000 discount without also going out of business...

Thanks Hondorner, That was my answer!!!

Jancruz1

I suspect you will not find another agency that can match the shipboard credit, prepaid gratuities and additional $1,000 discount without also going out of business...

Maybe not at this time (March is approaching fast), but I did find an agency that matched ALL the above when I transfered my booking 6 months ago from the same defunct agency to my new one. I was lucky!

Be careful that the new agency are not the same people operating the bankrupt one

There is a report on trip advisor they are still in business with a new name but same scam

You were lucky to have Oceania call you and give you the heads up

Sounds like you got lucky some people were not

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe not at this time (March is approaching fast), but I did find an agency that matched ALL the above when I transfered my booking 6 months ago from the same defunct agency to my new one. I was lucky!

I was able to get my Oceania cruise rebooked with an agency that has an A+ rating with the BBB and saved the grand I was going to have to come up with if I stayed booked with Oceania. I want to thank the fellow CC members for your emails and posts on this board of for your help and encouragement. Very much appreciated! Isn't this what this board is all about?

I would say you were very lucky THIS time. In the current economy there is a definite risk involved when using big discount agencies. You have no way of knowing if they are struggling to stay afloat. I sincerely hope that the stress you may have endured was worth the discount. Enjoy your cruise.

RickeyCruz5

Archived