Can you take food out of the Windjammer on 1st day?

Well, this created quite a spirited discussion. :-) I neglected to mention that most of the comments made about were regarding people on the Mariner (San Pedro) not being able to take food out of WJ on embarkation day.

The reasons provide context as to why they were told they could not remove food from the dining area. Now does it make sense? That's another matter entirely. Quite frankly, I think the state law is excessive but can see why it was implemented.

Thanks for the feedback.

PS: For those knocking California, you just don't know how to appreciate the greatest state in the Union! ;-)

Yes after we left port we could bring food out on deck. It was some law that was California based. Perhaps someone from the state can shed more light.

y.

Probably because the food was determined by the state of California and only by the state of California and no other place in the universe to become a carcinogen if it was taken out of it's assigned location.

DON

PS: For those knocking California, you just don't know how to appreciate the greatest state in the Union! ;-)

I'm a California native, so you have my permission to knock us all you want :D

The left has destroyed what used to be the "Golden State" with high taxes and excessive spending. If my DW family and my family didn't also live here, we would have moved out of the state by now. :(

Umm... yeah... right... I totally miss the 9.3% tax rate and my $36k in annual property taxes! Oh, and the $500 a year for my car tags and the price of gasoline. Shall I continue? :D

It is a beautiful state, no doubt, but it ain't called the land of fruits and nuts for nuttin'. :D

Go Ah-nald!!! :cool:

(Edited for the Terminator glasses! LOL)

I don't think there were any Medfly's on the two ranger cookies I tried to get past the door guard on Mariner last March!

He was very nice about it, but, the huge pile of confiscated plates with perfectly good food was disturbing.......

Just for the record: I've now been told it's a city ordinance (Los Angeles) and not a state law.

Makes EVEN more sense now. :D

What exactly is the ordinance though? It's not like you can't take out from any restaurant in LA. Curious. Thanks.

Makes EVEN more sense now. :D

What exactly is the ordinance though? It's not like you can't take out from any restaurant in LA. Curious. Thanks.

Not sure of the exact wording of the ordinance but it has something to do with taking fruit out of the Windjammer. My guess is instead of just limiting the ban to fruit, Royal has banned the removal of ALL food or drink from the Windjammer, while docked in LA. I guess that would be easier to enforce.

Same thing happened to us a couple of weeks ago on Mariner. When we tried to take drinks out of the Windjammer to the pool deck on embarkation day we were stopped and told we couldn't. When we asked why we were told it was a California state law. Yet, a week later on Radiance sailing out of San Diego no state law was enforced. Seems it's only enforced on ships sailing from San Pedro.

I found this especially odd about the drinks. I was stopped with my drink and told it wasn't allowed while docked in San Pedro. I pointed to the pool bar and the waiters that were walking around delivering drinks outside. The nice gentleman was at a loss for words and said he didn't understand it either.

From the 'As You Depart' sheet we got on the last night on the Mariner Oct 11-18, 2009 trip:

"Due to strict Federal and State policies in place by the United States Department of Agriculture and the Environment Protection Agency, absolutely no food items may be taken out of the designated dining areas, or onto any deck areas, while we are within United States jurisdiction. This is to help combat the California Fruit Fly issue. Thanki you for your cooperation and understanding."

Same must apply on boarding, while still in San Pedro -- as my huband said he was advised not to take anything out of the Windjammer on our first day.

They probably don't catch everyone -- and a lot of people probably don't read/notice the note in the As You Depart -- so perhaps it's not widely known.

Thank you Alan. I am a CA Ag Inspector, but I am not a spokesperson, and I have nothing to do with policies. So, strictly from personal opinion it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

Most of the invasive pests that California is worried about, such as Light Brown Apple Moth and all the various fruit flies are not strong fliers. They are primarily transported by people on the inside or outside of infested fruit, vegetables, plants or in soil. If disposed of in an open waste can or anywhere outside, they can spread from that point.

So...I don't know what's going on in San Pedro. Mariner has an enclosed Windjammer and passengers are restricted from taking food outside on the open decks? Radiance has a wide open Windjammer and there doesn't seem to be any issues with food or fruit in San Diego? I have no idea where Royal Carribean obtains their fruit or produce. Not that I necessarily would, but I haven't seen any particular announcements pertaining to the cruise ship ports.

Interesting, but it is a mystery to me as well. :D:):D

This happened to me both times on Mariner this year out of San Pedro ... no food/drink out of the WJ on embarkation/debarkation day. Not thinking about it, my mom grabbed a glass of water to take back to the cabin on debarkation morning for her pills and was told she was not permitted to leave the WJ with it.

Just for the record: I've now been told it's a city ordinance (Los Angeles) and not a state law.

I was told it was a county requirement. But it hasn't been enforced on the Sapphire Princess (per a friend) or the Carnival Paradise in Long Beach.

From the 'As You Depart' sheet we got on the last night on the Mariner Oct 11-18, 2009 trip:

"Due to strict Federal and State policies in place by the United States Department of Agriculture and the Environment Protection Agency, absolutely no food items may be taken out of the designated dining areas, or onto any deck areas, while we are within United States jurisdiction. This is to help combat the California Fruit Fly issue. Thanki you for your cooperation and understanding."

What a crock of.... If there's a Medfly in the WJ, it's probably as capable of flying out the open door as it would be flying out of a cabin.:rolleyes:

Archived