Completely OT, re: NW pilots

imsulin

The reason your example of comparing a pilot to an independent doctor - the doctor is in control of the business he runs and the pilot is not.

(sigh...)

In my own career of flying (professionally) for 40 + years,

I always said that I "Flew for FREE.."

The pay for the job was for all the time I spent on the job working

when I was NOT flying, sitting around crummy hotels on over-nights,

and, especially for being away from my family over all those years...

THAT was what the pay was for...

Now, in retrospect, with the girls all grown up and, with

families of their own, I realize I never got enough of that

pay....

(but, enough to go on cruises often..;) )

In a past life I was the person who worked for the employer coordinating between the bad old insurance company and the humanitarian doctors office for our employees. The majority of the time the bill wasn't paid because the doctors office was trying to double dip from the insurance company and the employee would be in my office screaming about the crappy insurance we paid a fortune for.

The reason your example of comparing a pilot to an independent doctor - the doctor is in control of the business he runs and the pilot is not.

Yeah, I guess you know all about what cheats those humanitarian doctors can be. Not something worth getting into with you.

Apparently the airline industry is set up so that pilots get compensated for a flight no matter how much time it takes to plan and accomplish that flight. Once again, seems pretty much like the same conditions other professional work under. Teachers are paid to teach a class. It doesn't matter how much time they have to spend preparing for it or how much homework they have to do. The difference between being a self employed professional and an employed professional is that the employed professional is most likely going to get a paycheck for his work even when the company is loosing money and the self employed professional is not. It is called "risk".

Now I have to go double dip... another beer out of the refrigerator.

Archived