Passport Cards

davekathy

Speaking of Passports is anyone using the new wallet-size U.S. Passport Card? It can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Note that it cannot be used for international air travel. The passport card is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The U.S. Passport Card has the same period of validity as the U.S. Passport Book: 10 years for an adult and 5 years for minors under age 16. The card costs $45 for a first-time adult passport applicant and $35 for all minor applicants under age 16, regardless of whether they are previous passport book or card holders. Adults who already have a fully valid passport book may apply for the card as a passport renewal by mail for a cost of only $20.

I don't really see the point of the passport card unless you live close to one of the borders and cross by car a lot. While it says it an be used at ports-of-entry, so can a BC and DL with the same effect. If someone gets the card thinking it will help them like a passport (to travel internationally or fly home in an emergency) they will be sorely surprised. I think it does not make any sense to try to save that little bit of money (to then have to pay more to get a real passport in an emergency --and waste sometimes precious time getting home). Get the real thing.

I don't really see the point of the passport card unless you live close to one of the borders and cross by car a lot. While it says it an be used at ports-of-entry, so can a BC and DL with the same effect. If someone gets the card thinking it will help them like a passport (to travel internationally or fly home in an emergency) they will be sorely surprised. I think it does not make any sense to try to save that little bit of money (to then have to pay more to get a real passport in an emergency --and waste sometimes precious time getting home). Get the real thing.

Agreed.

Not anymore. The rules changed a couple of months ago. You must have a passport or enhanced driver's license (not quite as security intense as a passport) to cross the border by car. I have a passport so I'm not sure of the details of the enhanced driver's license but I do know that a driver's license and Birth Certificate are no longer valid. I live near the Canadian border and I cross frequently so I know this to be fact.

I agree with cruiseguy1016 on the land border port of entry or a one-way sea crossing, one needs more than a BC and ID for that crossing (passport, passport card, EDL, NEXUS, Sentri). But I think what newbiecruiser09 was trying to say is that for a RT cruise out of the US, one can still use just the Birth Certificate and Driver's License on that port of entry, and that is correct as well.

I agree with cruiseguy1016 on the land border port of entry or a one-way sea crossing, one needs more than a BC and ID for that crossing (passport, passport card, EDL, NEXUS, Sentri). But I think what newbiecruiser09 was trying to say is that for a RT cruise out of the US, one can still use just the Birth Certificate and Driver's License on that port of entry, and that is correct as well.

We currently use the Standard Passport. When our Passports are due for renewal we definitely stay with the Standard Passport. I guess the idea of a card vs. a book interested me. We haven’t used Drivers Licenses’ and Birth Certificates for years. Again the Passport book was a lot more convenient to use.

I do have a place on South Padre Island, so I thought going back and forth to Mexico would be easier. But an advantage I saw on the cruise was that I could take the passcard to ports, it is not paper, and could go in the water with it, not worry about it getting wet. I use a water wallet, and they really are not foolproof. I don't like to leave ID on the beach while i am snorkeling.

Archived