Obtaining Cash on Wind Surf

Psoque

Hi. We are sailing on Wind Surf (our first time on any Windstar ship) on a round trip Barbados itinerary next month. I would like to hear from someone who has been on this ship recently about what is the most convenient way to obtain cash onboard.

We also e-mail Windstar a few days ago, and the answer was less than satisfactory, in terms of details... we were informed that they can cash Traveler's Checks in USD, up to $300 a day. What I don't know is if the ship can also give cash advance to be charges to our onboard account, and if so, is there a fee to this? Also, the question about whether an ATM (to obtain USD) is available on board went unanswered. I'm assuming there isn't one on board, but maybe there is one? We like this option, since our bank does not charge fees for using ATMS from other banks.

I know that most, if not all, of the destinations on our itinerary should have ATMs, but since we are visiting multiple ports, some with different currencies, I prefer to utilize them only sparingly. Also, I have no idea how the exchange rate is regulated in some of the banks that own the ATMs in the Caribbean.

The most ideal situation (short of an on board ATM) is for us to take cash advance on our onboard account (and without a fee) so that we don't have to bring Traveler's Checkes with us.

There was no ATM onboard the last time I sailed on Wind Surf. The cash used on all Windstar ships is US$; you won't be able to get local currency from them. I have no idea if you are able to get a cash advance against your onboard account.

I think almost every port on this itinerary will accept US$, but not coins, and you will probably receive your change in that country's currency.

Traveler's checks are a PITA and lots of smaller places won't even accept them anymore. I would simply use my credit card when possible, use an ATM to get cash if necessary, and bring US$.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on Windsurf last week, and there is definitely no ATM on board, and the ship makes no effort to bring on a local person who can change money. 6rugrats is correct -- you'd do well to use an ATM on shore or just bring $$$ cash and credit cards. Travelers' cheques don't seem to be very popular anywhere these days.

Archived