Captain's Reception & Farewell Party.

UpstateCruizer

After reading so much about the changes with the captain's party I was fully expecting to be disappointed with the change last week. Instead I was pleasantly surprised and actually enjoy the new captain's reception much more than I ever did the "party". I wasn't sure if we'd even go but my dh and I decided to give it a try. On the Miracle it was held in the atrium and I was surprised to see all of the ship's officers and many of the staff actually mingling with guests. We spoke to several of them which is something we've never done with the old format. Getting a drink for a $1 off happy hour special was a nice touch but many pointed out that Carnival might want to rethink what happy hour really means to most of us ;) We saw many people taking pictures with the captain and various officers.

We found that in regards to the farewell party again we were pleasantly surprised with the new format. After reading many comments on here about how so many people would be too busy packing to attend I was shocked to see the lounge packed and people standing in the back. People seemed to trickle in and out during the hour we were there. Everyone seemed happy with the free drinks and entertainment. The orchestra and male singer from the entertainment staff played music and sang during the hour. It really was a wonderful way to wind down the last day of the cruise.

I know many are not happy with the changes but for those that have yet to experience them make sure you at least give it a chance you may find yourselves enjoying the changes :)

We did not like the new way. I enjoyed going into the lounge and sitting down and being able to dance. That was part of elegant night for my family. They introduced the captain and officers in the lobby area and not enough room. Did not attend the fare well party, we were busy packing.

I like the new setup. In the past one was able to maybe say hello to one of the officers. I was able last Holiday cruise to spend about 20 minutes talking shop with the Chief Engineer. My only beef is that my idea of "Happy Hour" is 1/2 off drink prices not just a dollar. Not many attended the last night party. I think the servers were ready for a lot more than showed up. They had so many drinks that by the end most that attended had 3 or 4 drinks sitting on the tables. The servers were dropping off 2 or 3 at a time just to get rid of them. Good time had by all.

I really liked the new way on Legend last week. It was held on the last night 5-6pm in the lounge below the main showroom. The band played, people danced, and the waiters were very generous with the free drinks. They even brought me champagne...5 times!:D:D:D:D:D

After reading so much about the changes with the captain's party I was fully expecting to be disappointed with the change last week. Instead I was pleasantly surprised and actually enjoy the new captain's reception much more than I ever did the "party". I wasn't sure if we'd even go but my dh and I decided to give it a try. On the Miracle it was held in the atrium and I was surprised to see all of the ship's officers and many of the staff actually mingling with guests. We spoke to several of them which is something we've never done with the old format. Getting a drink for a $1 off happy hour special was a nice touch but many pointed out that Carnival might want to rethink what happy hour really means to most of us ;) We saw many people taking pictures with the captain and various officers.

We found that in regards to the farewell party again we were pleasantly surprised with the new format. After reading many comments on here about how so many people would be too busy packing to attend I was shocked to see the lounge packed and people standing in the back. People seemed to trickle in and out during the hour we were there. Everyone seemed happy with the free drinks and entertainment. The orchestra and male singer from the entertainment staff played music and sang during the hour. It really was a wonderful way to wind down the last day of the cruise.

I know many are not happy with the changes but for those that have yet to experience them make sure you at least give it a chance you may find yourselves enjoying the changes :)

I'm not afraid to experience new things and to CHANGE as long as I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I'll wait for the experience before I comment. As usual, be careful what you wish for...heh? We have seen first hand what change and hope gets us. :eek:

I plan to take one of our cruise-ship provided bottles of wine to this event, and will probably not be taking advantage of the generous dollar off specials :p!

I will however be at the farewell party on the last night, and will keep tabs on how many drinks I can score in an hour. I'll let you know.

We always have a very early flight & need to be one of the 1st off the ship so i don't like having the party with Free Drinks on the last night... I am good for one and thats it when I have to be ready to go so early. :(

As for the Captain's reception, I am with the majority & say let them keep their dollar off... What kind of Happy Hour is that? If a local establishment tried that they would be out of business,.

We tried both recently on the Legend. We were in the Schooner's Bar for the Captain's Reception. Had a drink and enjoyed live jazz. Four officers stood at the back of the bar and talked to each other. The jazz was good but half-price or two-for-one would make it a happy hour.

As for the Farewell Party, it was very good. Numerous free drinks and good music. Ours was not crowded at all.

Our experience from the Legend 9/20 was this:

Captain's party--never saw an officer, busy taking formal pictures and grabbing a couple of drinks with $1 off. Okay but not great.

Past cruisers party was as always. Nice petit fors and good manhattans and wine.

Farewall party was surprising. Fairly early in the evening. Noticed that there was VERY LITTLE mention of this function in the Capers or from the CD on her announcements. Attendance reflected this. The showroom was about a quarter full. Good for us. Very lightly attended; a small tip to our favorite server brought us many cocktails. Order one, get three. Nice.

As long as Carnival doesn't "promote" the farewell party, it could be good for those who are looking for a "little extra" lol.

We really enjoyed the farewell party. It was well attended but the many bartenders kept the drinks flowing...plenty for all. I'm not much of a drinker but in trying to keep up with the whiskey sours coming my way, I ended up quite cheerful lol. Enjoyed the entertainment and loved how many parents were dancing with their children.

We were just on the Freedom. We really enjoyed the farewell party. It was held in the aft bars on the Promenade. Which included the piano bar, swing time bar and the international aft lounge. There were performers in each lounge, and servers that were more than attentive. I really enjoyed the whiskey sours. There was a nice turn out. We were in the swing time bar and enjoyed the music, drinks and dancing.

The farewell party was held early enough that it did not interfere with packing or any other evening events. I was not expecting to enjoy the change, but did so very much!

Didn't go to Paradise Capt Party- brought our own booze & listened to music in Atrium. Then went to MyTime dining. We were anticipating Elegant night falling on Halloween activities night, & I was the only one who brought anything "gllitzy". Saw the Officers lined up to be introduced as I was going into the theater for activities before Showtime.

Farewell party was Halloween night. We wore our costumes (I think we were the only ones, except for a few kids who came from the scavenger hunt). The auditorium was only half full & drinks were plentiful!

Didn't go to Paradise Capt Party- brought our own booze & listened to music in Atrium. Then went to MyTime dining. We were anticipating Elegant night falling on Halloween activities night, & I was the only one who brought anything "gllitzy". Saw the Officers lined up to be introduced as I was going into the theater for activities before Showtime.

Farewell party was Halloween night. We wore our costumes (I think we were the only ones, except for a few kids who came from the scavenger hunt). The auditorium was only half full & drinks were plentiful!

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going on the Paradise next month with my DD. Did you like the 4 day cruise?

yes, it was the perfect length, with enough activites to keep me busy--I am getting tired of Catalina & Enscenada tho!

This will be my 5th trip to Ensenada in a little over a year so I agree with you on that one! At least I have the two parties to look forward to. Did you post a review? If so, I will look for it. I have so many questions. :)

This will be my 5th trip to Ensenada in a little over a year so I agree with you on that one! At least I have the two parties to look forward to. Did you post a review? If so, I will look for it. I have so many questions. :)
I posted a review in the Carnival Cruise Reviews section of Cruise Critic- should be ready by tomorrow, the same on is posted on my Myspace ( http://www.myspace.com/cruisingaddicts )

At any of those we always ask for the drinks we want. Not the watered down stuff.

Did they at least have the good nuts there?:cool:

Now is that anyway to talk about fellow passengers ;) All kidding aside there are no food items at the Captain's Reception nor the farewell party. They still have the same goodies at the past guest party. My dh claimed his screwdrivers were weak but my melon balls at the past guest party and daquiris at the farewell party were plenty strong :eek:

So looks like you can place an order for your favorite drink! That's great that did not change.

I think we will like the new format since we are very light packers and DH is always busy at packing time so I end up doing it about 10pm. That last farewell party might be perfect timing for us.

Any reports from the Conquest on how it worked out there?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=59434

My carnival Paradise review is now posted

We skipped the Captain's party on Sensation, can't even remember what we were doing durint that time, realized later we missed it when we happened to be walking through the atrium during the introductions of the officers. For a buck off, no big deal to have missed it.

As for the farewell party, we hadn't planned to go or not go. We realized coming in from the pools that day that the party was going on and decided to quickly change out of our bathing suits and stop in. It was in the main lounge and it was pretty much full. Drinnks were plentiful and there was a variety. Not just those whiskey sours and manhattans they used to serve. (Oh and there was fruit punch!!) Much more lively than sitting around during the way they used to do the Captain's reception in there. The CD got the guests up dancing and did his comedy stuff with the spoon threading up and down the pants/shirts. It was entertaining for the 3 drinks we each consumed for free during it. We did not feel it interfered with packing or getting up early the next day as it was held from 5-6.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived