Buying Pictures On Board

sue402001

Does anyone know what the current price(s) are for pictures that are bought on board? I'll be sailing on the Dawn in December and am trying to figure out how much money to bring to cover the cost if I decide to buy some. (I'm talking about the pictures they take of you) Thanks!

They constantly try to get your photo but you don't have to buy them. We loved the ones they took on the donkeys in Santorini. Most were 19.97 and seems sometimes they had specials 14.99 or buy three and get a photo of the ship thrown in, etc.

The photographers work for a contractor, not NCL, so this is something that could change from sailing to sailing. We budgeted $150 on the Sky and had no trouble spending most of it (we got the boarding photo and 10 of the 6x8's). I believe the 6x8's were about $10 each).

Just got off of the Sky. Pictures ranged from 9.95 to 19.95. WAY OVERPRICED! At the end of the cruise, there were so many pictures left over. I kept thinking to myself that if all of the pictures were 9.95, they would sell so many more. It is nice to get a boarding picture, but 19.95?

I've seen posted that some ships do a package with a flat cost for all the pictures you have of taken- makes a lot more sense then the waste of throwing them away- anyone know if this still happens and on what ships?

The times I've seen people discussing this was for the longer cruises of 9 days or more. To the photgraphy company's credit they do recycle the pictures. Also, we were able to buy a photo album onboard for $17 that holds 200 4x6 pictures, which is nice to hold the pictures we took on the cruise (we bought it in the ship's store, not from the photographers).

The photographers work for a contractor, not NCL, so this is something that could change from sailing to sailing. We budgeted $150 on the Sky and had no trouble spending most of it (we got the boarding photo and 10 of the 6x8's). I believe the 6x8's were about $10 each).

When on the Dawn recently...found the photos to be overpriced and not great quality...

AND..I was surprised when an officer told me that NCL was going to take over the photo department..so things would be changing...

That is extremely interesting- how do you recycle pictures? Are you saying just don't throw them in the regular trash or is there some other sophisticated technology that I am not aware of that recovers the colors/toner, etc.

My bad, I didn't realize the photo paper couldn't be recycled like regular paper.

Just got off the Dawn - 8x10's were $24.99!! There was one of DD that I loved, but I just couldn't justify the price. There easily had to be 1,000+ photos left over when we disembarked.

Towards the end of the cruise, there was a Buy 3, Get 1 Free on 8x10's - you're still spending $75 though.

When I was on the Sun last year, they made me buy them in a package bundle of pictures. I just wanted one 8x10, but they said they had to sell it in a package "deal" of 3 8x10's, which of course jacked the price up. Same deal for the smaller ones. I wanted one or two 5x7's, but the guy said I had to buy it in this package of three 5x7's with wallets and keychain photos. They really got me. I went in there for one or two photos and came out spending close to $100 with extra photos that I didn't want. DH was not happy with me for letting the guy scam me.

It is their business and I know they must know their business model- it just doesn't seem to make much sense to take the pictures and not sell more of them. We bought the boarding picture on our last cruise but would have purchased more if they had been reasonable- we would have paid a flat fee around $100 or so for the whole kit and kaboodle- but again they must know their business and make more off the few people who pay full price ($25 for an 8x10) then selling vastly more.

We have been on several cruises and no longer buy any photos...how many do you need? We just ask someone to take our picture.

We would rather spend money on other things onboard. Last 2 cruises we have not had the photographers take our picture.

They are persistant, but just say no and keep walking.

Just got off the Sun... 8x10 at $25. If you buy 1 8x10, you can get a nice hard cover frame with a large photo of the ship on the left side of the open frame for $10. We did that, so we could put our 8x10 on the right side (we chose the one w/the captain, sorta funny). We also bought 100 of a specific photo for Christmas cards - you know, the type you can get a Costco for a lot less. It was $50 for 100 photos... but my Christmas card "writing" is done! :-) On the second to the last night, if you took photos at three photo stations, you get an 8x10 photo of the itinerary map. DH wanted that anyway, so we did it. We actually ended up buying one of those photos as our Christmas photo.

Your photo is taken when you board, when you get on and off each port, and almost every night around dinner time. It is easy to refuse the photos, although others have said otherwise. At port, I just tell them we're late for our tour, but you can also just quickly walk away.

Archived