Has anyone had a bad cabin steward?

ozzy_emg

Lisa, is it possible you had the same steward as us? I know we were on the opposite sides but I just wondered if it was possible. The reason I ask is that our steward did kind of ask for a tip. Because of that Jim was unsure as to whether we should give him one but we were happy with him so we did.

Here we go again..Rules are if the autotips are taken off or reduced, your cabin steward and dining room steward are informed. Then if you give cash tips to the above, they are required to hand them in so they may be shared via the tipping pool with other service staff on board. Only if the autotips are kept on may they retain any cash given by the pax.

Failure to comply is dismissal from the ship and the cruise line. My advice is if the service is that bad, which it rarely is, give zilch. Then the steward does not have the difficult decision of whether to hand the cash in or keep it, therefore depriving his/her shipmates of a handout from the AWS (Automatic Wage Subsidy) which the autotipping is, in my humble opinion.

Stand by for incoming, flak jacket on, helmet on.!

Here we go again..Rules are if the autotips are taken off or reduced, your cabin steward and dining room steward are informed. Then if you give cash tips to the above, they are required to hand them in so they may be shared via the tipping pool with other service staff on board. Only if the autotips are kept on may they retain any cash given by the pax.

Failure to comply is dismissal from the ship and the cruise line. My advice is if the service is that bad, which it rarely is, give zilch. Then the steward does not have the difficult decision of whether to hand the cash in or keep it, therefore depriving his/her shipmates of a handout from the AWS (Automatic Wage Subsidy) which the autotipping is, in my humble opinion.

Stand by for incoming, flak jacket on, helmet on.!

can i ask you got that from may be a link please?

Hey Les.....;) see we are on your fav subject again and again and again:p:p:D .......i would like to ask wouldn't a crew member that "kind of asks you for a tip/money etc " be in breach of their employment contract.... if i was "sort of asked" the only tip he or she would be getting from me would be the verbal kind......:eek: cheers Shiona

Thied..I got it straight from the horses mouths..Passenger Services Director on Crown Princess and from a Captain on Regal Princess (now on Sun Princess !) I will not name them in case they get into strife with the line. BUT if you need more info on the tipping policy, set forth on CC - Princess, our American friends will set you right, just wear your flak jacket and bullet proof helmet!

Shiona..cannot help myself on the tipping policy, just like to set the record straight. But if a crew member member 'asked upfront for a tip..I would reply like in the Pizza Hut ad on TV.."A tip? I will give you a tip..Be Nice to your Mother" ! LOL

Now..what do I do, you all ask ? My own business, like tipping should be !

Maybe I was just born a stirrer.!! LOL

Thied..I got it straight from the horses mouths..Passenger Services Director on Crown Princess and from a Captain on Regal Princess (now on Sun Princess !) I will not name them in case they get into strife with the line. BUT if you need more info on the tipping policy, set forth on CC - Princess, our American friends will set you right, just wear your flak jacket and bullet proof helmet!

Shiona..cannot help myself on the tipping policy, just like to set the record straight. But if a crew member member 'asked upfront for a tip..I would reply like in the Pizza Hut ad on TV.."A tip? I will give you a tip..Be Nice to your Mother" ! LOL

Now..what do I do, you all ask ? My own business, like tipping should be !

Maybe I was just born a stirrer.!! LOL

thats may be true but arnt we talking about P&O on this thread? well there must be some wear a net link to what you said about tipping and not a she said he said she said statement

Well we took the auto tips off and tipped our steward and wait staff directly and they graciously accepted them all...
I /we agree we have allways done then a nice enverlope for the waiter and cabin streward/sterwardlady.

Hi Emma

I was on your cruise and was on the same deck but the opposite side to Karmac. I was very unhappy with my cabin steward and more so at the end and i will be relaying an email to P&O regarding it here goes:

We were one of the first on the ship in our cabin it was myself and my daughter he came in and introduced himself as did we, he told us that if we needed anything to ring the number provided. I like to keep the cabin orderly and clean so i took all my own liquid soap pine o clean wipes glen 20 and aqium for the cabin everything was neat and tidy and stayed that way. I pulled our beds up of a morning and generally tidied up as we went so the cabin was always clean and tidy, basically all he had to do was pull the curtains of a night. I dont expect the stewards to be at my beck and call, however what happened toward the end of the cruise left a very sour taste to the cruising experience. About 4 days prior to the end of the cruise i heard him relaying about his newborn daughter who he hadnt seen and hadnt seen pics of and how he missed them etc and i heard this on a few occassions then heard passengers relaying it to others on the deck. He tried to tell me and i said well think about the life that you are providing them by being away working here as there are people back home that do that quite often like the armed forces for example and he didnt like that at all. I returned to the room on a number of occassions to find an envelope appropriately placed on the bedside table, i am not stupid this is my 5th cruise so i would put it away and it would resurface and i am not the type that appreciates being forced into making the payment.

I never put anything in it (first time ever) as really he had not done anything other then draw the curtains i even emptied my own garbage intot a bag and put it at the door and he was too up front for my liking.

On the last morning we had to vacate the cabin by 8am we got up had shower packed the last of our stuff except a few toiletries we went for breakfast at 7ish and then would go back to the cabin to pick up our backpack and vacate the room the dining room had a breakdown and we got back to the room at 8.10am and when we walked in the room had been made up as a double he was in the room and i said gee you are quick and he said well hurry up and get out i said yep we are goin i picked up the computer and backpack and the P&O winners bag i had put our dirty clothes in and my daughter went to get her make up and face wash out of the bathroom and he had thrown it away he then yelled come on move it get out get out. We left i was :mad: to say the least.

When we left the ship and picked up our luggage i was putting the dirty washing out of the P&O winners bag into the suitcase to minimise the bags as we had to get to the train station when i got to the bottom of the bag there was a green apple in the bag now i can tell you it was not myself or my daughter as we ate all meals in the dining room except one at the grill on the last night and 1 at the steakhouse.. I did not declare that and if i had been searched i could of got into trouble there was only 1 other person it could of been other then myself and my daughter so i was not impressed and hence i intend to write a please explain to P&O and ask them to question him who else may of had access to my room whilst i was at breakfast as the door was open when i returned. So no you are not nitpicking and this is the first time i have not given a tip and i am so glad that i didnt. If i had this steward again i would ask that he not clean my room.

cheers

Don't you think maybe your Cabin Steward was a little upset because you appeared to be practically doing their job, which could have offended them. You say basically that the only thing left was to draw the curtains, that was it.

Stewards are from many cultures and maybe they took it another way than they way you meant it by 'helping' them to do their job.

Don't bite my head off, I'm just making a point here.:rolleyes:

Jillybean:)

Don't you think maybe your Cabin Steward was a little upset because you appeared to be practically doing their job, which could have offended them. You say basically that the only thing left was to draw the curtains, that was it.

Stewards are from many cultures and maybe they took it another way than they way you meant it by 'helping' them to do their job.

well I wouldnt see it that way, im not bitting your head either, but we keep our cabin clean, it sertinly cleaner after the cabin sterward has been, but to till to hurry up and get out is another thing and one more thing who is the worker and who is the paying passenger (Stewards are from many cultures and maybe they took it another way than they way you meant it by 'helping' them to do their job) and its an australian based cruise ship:rolleyes:

well I wouldnt see it that way, im not bitting your head either, but we keep our cabin clean, it sertinly cleaner after the cabin sterward has been, but to till to hurry up and get out is another thing and one more thing who is the worker and who is the paying passenger (Stewards are from many cultures and maybe they took it another way than they way you meant it by 'helping' them to do their job) and its an australian based cruise ship:rolleyes:

I must point out we keep our cabin tidy too. But it is up to the Steward to clean it, make the bed etc...

I must point out we keep our cabin tidy too. But it is up to the Steward to clean it, make the bed etc...

yes thought that most people do, yes you are right is saying it up to the Steward to clean it

We kept auto-tipping on and gave a "little" extra to our steward and wait staff. Wasn't sure what was acceptable - I am sure it is all accepted gratefully. How much is enough or if you are tipping "extra" do you just give what you can afford? Is there a rule of thumb? What do you "extra" tippers do if you don't mind sharing.

Angela

Well Thied, it is fact. Go over to Princess CC and talk to the real experts on tipping, I would really encourage you to go over to that board and check it out.

Of course the stewards will accept anything, whether they turn the money in is their decision.

I believe P&O tipping policy is the same as Princess, just a little cheaper @AU$7.50 pp per diem, instead of US$10.50 pp per diem on Princess. This P&O Australia board also includes issues with Princess Cruising from Australia as outlined by Walt, the CC Guru.

Anyone can 'bite my head off' for I am a survivor.

We kept auto-tipping on and gave a "little" extra to our steward and wait staff. Wasn't sure what was acceptable - I am sure it is all accepted gratefully. How much is enough or if you are tipping "extra" do you just give what you can afford? Is there a rule of thumb? What do you "extra" tippers do if you don't mind sharing.

Angela

we dont auto tip on P&O but we do tip who we want to ( dinning room waiter and cabin sterward, and thing between $20 and $ 60 each and all dependeds on what they are like or how well they look after us, as we travel with a todler, every one we have had have been brillent, we figer that if they can take the time to make him happy and us happy with what they do then we make them happy, mind you on one cruise we could get away from one waitressbut she was lovly went way out of way to make our son happy, even down to him helping her waiting which he thought he was the ants pants, and so did the other passengers he/they servied.

I like the idea of the 'anytime dining' on ships now because the gratuities are included in the cruise fare and then all we do is tip a little extra to the cruise staff we feel have gone that extra mile for us to ensure we have a wonderful cruise....which we always do...and we're all happy.

I like the idea of the 'anytime dining' on ships now because the gratuities are included in the cruise fare and then all we do is tip a little extra to the cruise staff we feel have gone that extra mile for us to ensure we have a wonderful cruise....which we always do...and we're all happy.

any time dinning is good , but we prefer a set time ( chilren);)

.....i would like to ask wouldn't a crew member that "kind of asks you for a tip/money etc " be in breach of their employment contract.... cheers Shiona

I think you're probably right, Shiona. I don't know exactly what he said to Jim as I wasn't there so I don't know if maybe Jim just took it the wrong way. When I asked him what the steward had said he couldn't remember exactly:rolleyes:...typical male:p. However, there's a card thing on the table that has the steward's name & contact number on it & on the other side it has information about tipping. Jim thinks that the steward turned it around so we could see the tipping info. I can honestly say I don't take much notice.

For anyone out there that has done B2B cruises, do you tip at then end of each cruise or just at the end of the second cruise (assuming of course you have the same cabin for both cruises)?

I think you're probably right, Shiona. I don't know exactly what he said to Jim as I wasn't there so I don't know if maybe Jim just took it the wrong way. When I asked him what the steward had said he couldn't remember exactly:rolleyes:...typical male:p. However, there's a card thing on the table that has the steward's name & contact number on it & on the other side it has information about tipping. Jim thinks that the steward turned it around so we could see the tipping info. I can honestly say I don't take much notice.

For anyone out there that has done B2B cruises, do you tip at then end of each cruise or just at the end of the second cruise (assuming of course you have the same cabin for both cruises)?

I would say at the end of each cruise but no auto tipping

Why no auto tipping?
the ? was ( on a B2B cruises, do you tip at then end of each cruise or just at the end of the second cruise (assuming of course you have the same cabin for both cruises)? my anser was , I would say at the end of each cruise but no auto tipping, meaning yes all your tipping should done at the end of each cruise. and we dont auto tip anyway.:D

Quite the contrary have cruised on the pacific dawn 4 times and had 3 different cabin stewards and i have done exactly the same each time whether it be a twin cabin or a quad. I dont care about culture i am a tidy person and dont expect others to clean up after me or my children. If that is his cop out then he needs to learn to treat people as individuals as i have said that is the 1st time ever i have not tipped my cabin steward whether they have done the cabin or not but it was more his BS stories and his insistence of replacing the envelope on the dresser 5 days out from the end of the cruise. I wont bite your head off i was just replying to the thread title "Has anyone had trouble with their cabin steward" and like everything they are not all perfect :)

Archived