Are taxis plentiful in Oia?

sjde

We will probably take a taxi from Fira to Oia when on Santorini this month. Will it be easy to find a taxi back to Fira , especially in the off-season? I hate to ask one to wait for us since we'll shop and eat dinner there probably.

Sue

We were there in March. Not many taxis. We hiked to Oia (beautiful views, some of the worst winds I have ever seen), and then took a bus back to Fira. Easy to find bus-stop, could wait in a small cafe.

In March there were not many restaurants/shops open. Have you checked availability in Nov?

If you find a taxi, you might ask about them waiting for you.

Have you looked for Santorini in ports of call section?

Have fun! Kathy

Because we decided to leave the ship a half hour or so later than most on the ship, we had little wait to go up in the cable car to Fira. :) BUT...there were absolutely no cabs available to get to Oia. We waited at the taxi stand....after 35 min. didn't see but one cab get to the line of people waiting. Then we went to the bus station. TONS of people waiting for the bus. One didn't show up per the schedule and the next one was attacked by the crowd like a herd of bulls, and we never got on. SO...what we did was waved a cab down who agreed to drive us to Oia with stops on the way for photos and then he waited an hour and a half at Oia as we strolled the streets. I think it cost us about 75 euro. Worked out great, but certainly not the way we had planned. This was in Sept.

There aren't enough cabs availalbe especially if more than one ship is in port. Leave the ship with the earliest group if possible.

Take a look at the Europe/greece forum on TripAdvisor...there is a posting there from someone who apparently is very knowledgeable about Santorini. He says that in Nov, all the shop and resturants will be closed in Oia. it might still be worth going but other than looking at the incredible scenery, there may not be much to do. We took the bus (Sept 2007) and had no problems. Next week we will try the same...if it isn;t windy, I plan to hike at least part of the trail.

There is a bus that goes from Oia to Fira. I agree that you need to go early in the morning (can take a cab if you want -- or, walk a couple of blocks to the bus). We spent the morning in Oia and took a bus back mid-day. It worked out well.

This is hear-say only, from waiters in Santorini, and local boat men:

When the last British school holiday of the year- half-term, last week in Oct, is over, most of the staff of shops, tavernas, etc, return to their homes on mainland Greece or Albania. The island still has its week-enders from Athens, and there will always be a few holiday makers, but the fly-stayers from N Europe will have gone.

As I say, this is only what waiters etc have told us. Certainly the cheap Santorini trips from the UK finish after Oct.

Try asking on the Europe pages on this site. You may be told otherwise by Fafos, master of all things Greek!!!- jocap.

Archived