Eastern Med Cruise - When to Book?

nybumpkin

BIL, his wife and two daughters are interested in an Eastern Med cruise next June, embarking in Spain and with Civitavecchia (Rome) as one of the stops, and they asked me for some help in trying to plan it for them. I think I've come up with some recommendations for them (two RCCL and one NCL), but one question I had - since I've never booked a European cruise before - is how far out they should book. Four to six months?

If you know specifically what you want, are happy with the price, or/and are picky about cabin etc. I'd book as early as you can. Prices could always drop but before final payment you can always look to get an upgrade or cancel and rebook.

We locked in in Feb for a August sailing in 2008 and many cabin options were limited. Our first choice cruise had sold out in triples which we needed. So I'd book early, YMMV.

We waited another month before booking airfare and that can be hit or miss in terms of price, but always earlier then later if you are worried about getting it locked in.

I believe in booking as early as you can so that you can get a better choice of cabin. Typically, the lower price and higher price cabins go first along with others from all categories with the best locations.

Book early and then have your TA watch for any price reductions.

Keith

Archived