Taking Food from Horizon Ct to Private Balcony

Konagal

On one of the cruise reviews I read, the poster said she loaded up a plate in the Horizon court and took it back to her balcony to eat. This is obviously different than taking a few cookies back to the room. Is the staff disapproving of this or is it an accepted practice? If an accepted practice, is that true just for breakfast and/or lunch or for all meals?

On one of the cruise reviews I read, the poster said she loaded up a plate in the Horizon court and took it back to her balcony to eat. This is obviously different than taking a few cookies back to the room. Is the staff disapproving of this or is it an accepted practice? If an accepted practice, is that true just for breakfast and/or lunch or for all meals?

We enjoy having a light breakfast on our balcony and have coffee, juices and fruit delivered from room service; sometimes cold cereal. i time this with my morning walk and sometimes bring back some scrambled eggs, bacon and croissants. We just feel if we go to the buffet, we over eat. So it's not a gigantic plateful, just enough for a light breakfast. We just thoroughly enjoy a quiet morning on our balcony.

We always have cookies in our frig, besides fat free milk for my husband's coffee. And yes, we've had hot dogs and pizza on the balcony too. If there is disapproval, I don't know about it.

Nothing unusual about that, in fact on time I was offered cash for my tray, [that was lunch].:)

john

We also take food back and enjoy our balcony. Very accepted practice. As a courtesy to fellow travelers in our immediate area, we keep the trays and dishes in our cabin after use. The aisles are narrow enough without having to step over dirty dishes

We also take food back and enjoy our balcony. Very accepted practice. As a courtesy to fellow travelers in our immediate area, we keep the trays and dishes in our cabin after use. The aisles are narrow enough without having to step over dirty dishes

What is up with the folks who insist on leaving their dirty plates, etc., in the halls. In hotels, it's bad enough but on a cruise ship, with the most limited of hall space.

I don't understand the thought process or lack thereof! :rolleyes:

What is up with the folks who insist on leaving their dirty plates, etc., in the halls. In hotels, it's bad enough but on a cruise ship, with the most limited of hall space.

Valid point. I have no problem bringing food back to the room. But the dirty dishes stay inside the room and the steward will pick them up when he does his rounds.

It's accepted practice in every hotel where I've ever used room service, in fact some have a small card asking you to place the tray or cart in the hall so they can remove it overnight.

It's accepted practice in every hotel where I've ever used room service, in fact some have a small card asking you to place the tray or cart in the hall so they can remove it overnight.

But where I usually see it still there in the morning.

Accepted practice.

I often bring breakfast from the Horizon Court back to the cabin for my spouse. I often get envious looks and comments from wives on the elevator who wish their husbands would do the same for them.

When I'm brought a separate cart, to eat on and the hallways are made for folks to walk down them [such as in a hotel] and, I've been requested to leave it in the hall.......I have never seen it there in the morning; waiting for me to step into it!!!!

And, then the Steward comes along with his cart and the hallways become a pinball machine game.....who can avoid the people walking; the cart by the door; the dirty plates; the lady with her straw bag filled with suntan lotion, book and iPod;........If only they gave a prize for avoidance!!!!

Our tradition is to always go to the Horizon Court the last morning to get breakfast and bring it back to our cabin to enjoy our last meal on the ship on our balcony where we start our countdown for our next cruise.

On a couple of our cruises we've become friendly with our cabin neighbors and the last night we all have requested the divider doors to be opened we go up to the Horzion court and bring back goodies to eat and enjoy a farewell celebration on our balconies with our neighbors. :)

I've seen people carrying plates back to their cabins pretty much anytime the buffet is open. We like to have small bites like cheese and crackers from the buffet with a cocktail while getting ready for the evening. Breakfast seems a popular time for it too. I've never heard of this being discouraged and our plates and glasses are always removed by the cabin steward when they come to service the cabin.

The caveat is that if we do bring something strong smelling (like cocktail sauce) back after evening turn down, I rinse the plate in the sink so I don't smell it in the cabin all night. :)

And' date=' then the Steward comes along with his cart and the hallways become a pinball machine game.....[/b']who can avoid

the people walking;

the cart by the door;

the dirty plates;

the lady with her straw bag filled with suntan lotion, book and iPod;........

If only they gave a prize for avoidance!!!!

I think the prize for avoidance is staying home. They get in your way but for the most part have a right to be there, even with the dishes gone......JMOP!

If the lady with the straw bag is BIG Bertha or Madea, we all aren't going anywhere for a long. long, long, time:D

We might be eating leftovers from those dishes by the door!

Room service is 24/7 at some resorts, so there is always something to be picked up usually at the door.

Op- the practice of taking food back from the buffet is acceptable!

We have done it on three cruises so far and it is definately acceptable. You may get a few looks in the elevator while you are heading back with your food. We did it almost every morning due to the fact that we have three kids and it was not easy to get a family of five ready to go to breakfast. I enjoyed bringing the food back and sitting on the balcony with my breakfast. The cabin stewart had no problem with it as it would be the same as if you ordered room service to the cabin. We also always tipped the cabin stewart extra with cash instead of him just getting his part of the shared gratuity.

I think the prize for avoidance is staying home. They get in your way but for the most part have a right to be there, even with the dishes gone......JMOP!

If the lady with the straw bag is BIG Bertha or Madea, we all aren't going anywhere for a long. long, long, time:D

We might be eating leftovers from those dishes by the door!

Room service is 24/7 at some resorts, so there is always something to be picked up usually at the door.

Op- the practice of taking food back from the buffet is acceptable!

Hey, I understand people having rights but when did dishes get rights!:D

They probably have more than me.........lololol:D

Thanks to the OP because I know you can do this but don't do it and I don't know why. We love to have cocktail treats whilst getting ready for dinner. In 31 days I'll be in at the buffet tray in hand but I'll keep it in my room, I promise.;)

Anthony

Hey, I understand people having rights but when did dishes get rights!:D

They probably have more than me.........lololol:D

Thanks to the OP because I know you can do this but don't do it and I don't know why. We love to have cocktail treats whilst getting ready for dinner. In 31 days I'll be in at the buffet tray in hand but I'll keep it in my room, I promise.;)

Anthony

hey, come on, I said with the dishes gone;):D

Some of 'dem' dishes looked fancier than me on formal night:p

I have also noticed scooters, and baby's stroller in the hallway. I am not sure if those are suppose to be there but I try to be patient. When the confines and limitation of cruising start to get me, ever so often, I try something else.

I'm an early riser but my wife likes to sleep in. After I have had my breakfast in the buffet I always bring back her breakfast so she can eat it on the balcony (weather permitting) or in the room. I usually bring back tea for myself. We just leave all the dishes, etc. in the room and they are usually gone when we get back to the room after lunch. I have never been stopped or questioned by any staff member (except once by our cabin steward who wanted to know if my wife was sick!). It's your vacation - enjoy it.

Archived