Using miles - how long ahead to arrive?

cpgrneyes

We're taking a cruise embarking from Copenhagen and finishing in Barcelona, flying from Los Angeles.

H and I both have frequent flyer miles, but on different airlines.

I have flights on hold that would have us both on the same flight from Heathrow to Copenhagen (one of us will pay for that leg), arriving about 24 hours prior to the ship sailing time.

I'm assuming that allows for cancellations/delays, but if some of you experts think otherwise, YELL!

LAX and BCN have fairly frequent service via most hubs. However, to really say how solid your position is, the airline is important. For example if they have only two flights a week that's very different than 2 daily flights.

Also, do you have status with your airline program? Should things go amok, premium members are given priority in situations where the airline cannot accomodate everyone. If you're traveling on FF miles you have far more options than a consolidator ticket, but still not as many as a paid ticket.

That said, 24h should cover most situations.

Arriving 24 hours ahead should be fine. Certainly 24 hours is better than arriving the day of the cruise but 48 hours is certainly safer than 24 hours.

If you run into problems you have the one day to get there.

Copenhagen is a wonderful city. A lot to see and do and if you like to walk a fabulous walking city.

Keith

Archived