Private tour in St Petersburg, how about other Baltic ports?

NCMtnBoys

Our 7-night Baltic cruise next September begins and ends in Copenhagen, with stops in Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm.

In Copenhagen we will probably arrive by flight the morning of the day before our cruise, and explore for the remainder of the day via a hoho bus, canal tour and/or other city tour. I've found several very reasonably priced city tours, and the hoho bus is less than $30.

We will be checking out Tallinn on our own, as a friend of ours says it's very easy and has given us a book and map that she used while she was there this past summer.

Then we will be doing a private tour in St Petersburg, as I've read that they are much more comprehensive and a better value than the ships tours.

However, how about Helsinki and Stockholm? Are the ships tours adequate? Has anyone used Alla Tours for each St Petersburg, Stockholm and Helsinki? I know they offer tours in each city, wondering if they'd give a discount for booking a tour in each city. Or maybe just going with the ship tours is fine.

Unlike St Petersburg, should we decide against a private tour or ship tour, are ship passengers allowed to get off and explore the city on our own in Helsinki and Stockholm?

Thanks for any insight!

Helsinki and Stockholm are both very easy to explore on your own. (Russia is the only country that requires a visa; there is no problem going it alone in any other Baltic ports).

In Helsinki there is a tram that takes you by most of the main sights. Or you can buy a ticket for a double-decker bus tour once you arrive. Most ships run a shuttle into town, with a drop off point at the Swedish theatre. At the drop-off is where you can purchase tickets for the bus tour if you want more of a commentary.

In Stockholm, there are several different methods of getting around. The HOHO boat is popular. The bus system is cheap and reliable. Much of the area is walkable if you plan to stay around Gamla Stan (the old town) and perhaps visit the Vasa Museum (ferry, bus or HOHO).

If you do a little searching on these boards, you'll find many detailed posts on how to DIY.

Thank you both for your replies. I definitely will look into the hoho options and other means by which to see Helsinki and Stockholm.

We have booked a tour in St Petersburg with TJ Travel. Like Denrus, Alla, SPB, Red October, etc, they offer visa-free tours (blanket visa for the group). I've learned through all my research, there is no cheap way around touring in St Petersburg, so I just bit the bullet and booked the private tour. From reading everything on these boards, we won't be sorry and will be miles ahead of those taking the ships tour. Being able to see sights on our own in the other ports will be a money-saver.

Thanks again.

From reading everything on these boards, we won't be sorry and will be miles ahead of those taking the ships tour. Being able to see sights on our own in the other ports will be a money-saver.

Just bring your banjo and the natives will all love to hear you play some of your favorites. I would.

I am curious if in Tallinn you are familiar with the walking tour of that ancient city. It is so easy to do on your own. It would be a shame to take taxis, etc, unless you are handicapped.

Even the Ho-Ho bus was a disappointment to some of the folks on this web site.

It reads like you know what you want to do, and that is great (the only way to travel), but just in case, go to http://www.*****.com/tallinnwalk.html

Have fun, but be sure to take a few more days after the cruise is over to relax. Every day is another adventure.

We did the Tallinn walking tour lair Bear mentioned last July.To me it was the best way to see Tallinn.It was easy and you really saw Tallinn.They were 5 of us ages 15 to 79.We had lunch at the Olde Hansa.You will really enjoy Tallinn

I also 'third' the motion you do most of the stops on your own. Unless you are physically handicapped, or cannot walk for a few hours, then there is absolutely no reason NOT to do the ports on your own. they are easy, and usually the weather is nice. Being in the Baltics, you may fins things that interest you more than other things. Going on a set tour, even ship tours, get you going at a required pace which just doesn';t offer any flexibility if you want to linger over something, or spend more time at a certain stop. The only reason I MIGHT want to do a private tour, is if you are extremely interested in the history of a certain city, and you might now get that by touring yourself.

We did all the ports on our own (except

St Pete, of course), and we love to stop in little shops, sit down and have a yummy local treat, just find a bench and sit and watch the world go by. There are so many reasons why you should do things on your own. Like I said, unless you physically cannot do it, then save some money and tour on your own.

The Tallin walking tour is so easy and fun. Don't forget to check out the sweater wall...great prices ! Talked with fellow cruisers that also went by taxi to the modern city. They were very sorry that they had shortened their time in the old town.

My son-in-law actually had some business in Tallinn, and told me that the 'Old Town' was the highlight of his visit when he was shown around by his friends.

Our experience was the same when we were there last year. It is so easy to walk from the dock to the first part of this wonderful city! It would be a shame to take a cab~~~~.

The 'East wall' was great to browse and see. It was difficult for my wife to decide at the time, but afterwards she admitted that she should have bought some nice presents for some of her tennis friends who like to play in the winter.

Go and see

b447.jpgb445.jpg

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the hints here-we are just starting to plan a 2011 trip also and based on board information, I think that this makes up my mind for this port.

YES, Meg, Tallinn is wonderful and very surprising. You'll love it! So much to see and do in these various Baltic ports, plus all that is there in super great St. Petersburg. Below are a few visual samples to add a little preview for what you can see in the Estonia capital. Fortunately we hit there when a Saturday festival was happening, plus nice weather.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Tallinn’s rooftop in this charming Estonia Capital with docked cruise ships in the background:

1A-Tallinn-Rooftops.jpg

Dancers marching in Tallinn’s festival parade:

1A-Tallinn-DancersMarch.jpg

In front of Tallinn’s City Hall, they are dancing:

1A-Tallinn-CityHallDancing.jpg

Shopping is great in Tallinn. Inside a nice linen shop:

1A-TallinShopkeeperLinens.jpg

Outdoor lunch on Tallinn’s main square:

1A-TallinOutdoorLunch.jpg

Domes at Tallinn’s historic Orthodox church:

1A-Tallinn-DomesRoof.jpg

I was wondering about the same things but I'm also curios has anyone come across any tours for foodies? I found only one in the articles and that was in Tallin. But what about Helsinki and Stockholm?

In Helsinki our ship offered a cuisine tour to SAVU restaurant (which means "smoked") We had a nice tour, met the chef, and worked our way through a sampler menu of smoked fish, reindeer, local berry jam and other delicacies with delightful local tea.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.bully4.us/baltic.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Great photos Terry! And the one that got an "OOOO" out of me was the linen shop.

I use pure linen dish towels (they absorb so well and dry so quickly), but they're almost impossible to find in the U.S. Now I will know to make it a point to search for them in Tallinn. Yippee!

:D

Tallin is such a wonderful city to ex-plore. If you have any problems walking, especially uphill, it might be a problem, but there is no rush, and just take your time, you will love it.

My DW entering Tallin

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe504.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe536.jpg

Some street fair people

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe627.jpg

our favorite museum (read it carefully)

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe574.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe566.jpg

Flowers are everywhere along the narrow streets

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe585.jpg

Our 7-night Baltic cruise next September begins and ends in Copenhagen, with stops in Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm.

In Copenhagen we will probably arrive by flight the morning of the day before our cruise, and explore for the remainder of the day via a hoho bus, canal tour and/or other city tour. I've found several very reasonably priced city tours, and the hoho bus is less than $30.

We will be checking out Tallinn on our own, as a friend of ours says it's very easy and has given us a book and map that she used while she was there this past summer.

Then we will be doing a private tour in St Petersburg, as I've read that they are much more comprehensive and a better value than the ships tours.

However, how about Helsinki and Stockholm? Are the ships tours adequate? Has anyone used Alla Tours for each St Petersburg, Stockholm and Helsinki? I know they offer tours in each city, wondering if they'd give a discount for booking a tour in each city. Or maybe just going with the ship tours is fine.

Unlike St Petersburg, should we decide against a private tour or ship tour, are ship passengers allowed to get off and explore the city on our own in Helsinki and Stockholm?

Thanks for any insight!

Hi NC Mtn Boys

We're in Lexington, NC and I think we're on the same cruise with you. We haven't started to research tours and excursions but we're planning to begin this wk. (You've inspired us.) Thanks for sharing the information you've researched and future information. We'll try to do the same!

And to everyone else who has experience in these cities, thank you, thank you so much for sharing. And if you have additional information we would appreciate it too!

By the way, Happy New Year!

Lynn

Great photos Terry! And the one that got an "OOOO" out of me was the linen shop.

I use pure linen dish towels (they absorb so well and dry so quickly), but they're almost impossible to find in the U.S. Now I will know to make it a point to search for them in Tallinn. Yippee!

:D

THANKS, Ferret! Didn't know that quality or advantage with linen. Learned something new today! There are lots of nice shops there, plus other places selling a variety of items there in Tallinn. Here are some other photo examples.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Tallinn street with shops, flowers, church tower, etc.:

1A-TallinFlowersBldg.jpg

Tallinn street vendor with various woolen items:

1A-Tallinn-MarketShopping.jpg

Tallinn festival parade in old historic area:

1A-Tallinn-Parade.jpg

Mosaics on the outside of Tallinn’s historic Orthodox church:

1A-TallinChMosiac.jpg

Hi---

We're from NC, too. We are booked on the 9/4/10 Vision cruise. We'd love it if you'd share your St. Petersburg info. I'm new to Cruise Critic (but not to cruising!), so could you let me what I need to do next? Thanks. Nicole

Hi---We're from NC, too. We are booked on the 9/4/10 Vision cruise. We'd love it if you'd share your St. Petersburg info. I'm new to Cruise Critic (but not to cruising!), so could you let me what I need to do next? Thanks. Nicole

Hi, Nicole! The good news is that have got lots of time to do your detailed research and get ready. TELL US MORE! Since this is your first experience on Cruise Critic, it can be exciting, but a little challenging to sort through all of this info. Having visited twenty different countries in Europe over the years, including some places multiple times, I would strongly urge three key steps to get ready.

FIRST, read through these Cruise Critic posts and use the SEARCH function to find more specific info. Ask questions on these boards! Be specific in what you are seeking. Don't be shy!

SECOND, from your library or a book store look at some of the key travel books. Personally, I like the Eyewitness books as they have a nice mix of text/background details, pictures, maps, building cut-aways, etc. The Michelin Green books are very good and rank your potentials options on a helpful one to three star rating. There are other good books, such as Rick Steves.

THIRD, St. Petersburg is high-priority stop where a private tour is a must-do to be more time-efficient. Don't lock into tour firm just based on the first positive review you read. Contact four or five of the top firm with specific questions and your needs/interests. See who is responsive and understanding your desires. Is St. Petersburg one of your stops?

During a short port stop in some larger cities in Europe, you can't see it "ALL" in some of these locations. That's why you need to research ahead and consider your personal priorities. The advance planning is half the fun for such trips. It's a real learning experience and makes the actual visit so much better. Is this helpful? Keep posting and asking questions.

Hi---

We're from NC, too. We are booked on the 9/4/10 Vision cruise. We'd love it if you'd share your St. Petersburg info. I'm new to Cruise Critic (but not to cruising!), so could you let me what I need to do next? Thanks. Nicole

Hello Haren001,

I would encourage you to visit our Vision roll call thread for Sept 4, 2010. There you'll find others who are also sailing that date, and information that has been shared about things so far. And if interested, I'll share (over there) the info about the St Petersburg tour we've got lined up. Here's a link... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1034097

Thanks for any insight!

We, too, considered just doing Talinn on our own, but we ended up using a very nice small tour guide company. It is owned by a young Australian man, who has moved to Estonia for love <awww>. He has a degree in travel and tourism, and was quite accomodating, and inexpensive. His name is Andrew, and it is nice having a person TELL you about things, as you look at them.

http://estadventures.ee/

We, too, considered just doing Talinn on our own, but we ended up using a very nice small tour guide company. It is owned by a young Australian man, who has moved to Estonia for love <awww>. He has a degree in travel and tourism, and was quite accomodating, and inexpensive. His name is Andrew, and it is nice having a person TELL you about things, as you look at them.

http://estadventures.ee/

Did you book a private tour or take one of his scheduled walks, eg Legends of Tallinn? There are 8 of us travelling together so we could consider a private tour depending on price. If you went on the scheduled tour, how many people were in the group?

Did you book a private tour or take one of his scheduled walks, eg Legends of Tallinn? There are 8 of us travelling together so we could consider a private tour depending on price. If you went on the scheduled tour, how many people were in the group?

You can do Tallinn on your own, but there are advantages to doing some sort of "tour". We did a morning ship's tour and the bus took us to the top of the large hill in Tallinn, saving time and energy. Second, with a tour, you have a guide who can explain what you are seeing and answering your questions. That helps you get a better understanding and context about Estonia's history, its people, their challenges, the architecture, etc. Depending on your ship, they might have 25-40 people on a tour. If you want to do Tallinn on your own, you need to devote some time and effort to reading up, IN ADVANCE, about the history, great architecture and background there.

We scheduled a private tour. We actually asked him to combine two of his types, I believe it was like history and ghost stories. Initially there were only two of us, but then two of our tablemates asked to come along, so there were four in total.

I want to say it was $25 pp, but of course, this was a year and a half ago. I think we tipped another $25, for a grand total of $125 for the four of us. I'd say it would definitely be worth it for a group of eight. There might even be a discount.

It was very nice. We walked for a while, and then we stopped by a local pub for lunch, then we walked some more. It was a four hour tour <start Gilligan's Island theme>. We bought Andrew's lunch for him.

If you go, let me know what you think!

that is not a lot of money for a person private tour. So much better than anything 'ship' related.

Tallin is very easy to do by yourself, and there was/is a great walking tour brochure that has been on this site for quite a while that explains everything and tells you exactly where to go and how to get there.

Here is the thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=965056&highlight=tallin+walking+tours

that is not a lot of money for a person private tour. So much better than anything 'ship' related.

Tallin is very easy to do by yourself, and there was/is a great walking tour brochure that has been on this site for quite a while that explains everything and tells you exactly where to go and how to get there.

Here is the thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=965056&highlight=tallin+walking+tours

Oh yes.... we rarely take ship tours. We end up feeling like cattle!

The good thing about this tour was that Andrew was quite willing to tailor it to our interests and energy level. So, we got to see what we wanted to see, and got to take a break when we wanted, as well.

Archived