Too Warm Temps in Cabins

margord

Has anyone other than me noticed that the temperatures in the cabins seems to be getting much warmer. Even though we turned the thermostat all the way down the cabin stays warm. We have thermometers on our travel clocks and many times the temps will not go below 75 degrees. I find this too warm expecially for sleeping. We have had to call someone to try to get the temps down on our last 5 cruises. This is done after keeping out curtains closed and the thermostat at the lowest setting. Many times nothing is done until my 3rd or 4th call. I'm starting to get a little frustrated. We have been in a balcony cabin every time and can not figure out if it is a bad design (warm air coming through the sliding glass doors) or another attempt by the cruise line to save money. This has happened to us on the Emerald, Grand and twice on the Crown.

While I can only speak about the Crown and the Caribbean Princess, I feel that the design of the staggered, partially covered balconies is the cause of the problem. It looks great design wise, but it is very impractical. Since most of the decks other than Caribe only have a small amount of the balcony that is covered, one side of the ship usually "bakes" in the heat of the day. Even with the curtains fully closed, if you are on the sunny side, it will be hot in your cabin. You can also feel the change in temperature as you walk in the hallway and approach mid ship. Both the back and the front of the ship are somewhat cooler by comparison.

MARAPRINCE

I can only speak for the Crown and the C. Princess. If you are on a deck other than Caribe, you will not have full coverage of your balcony like on other cruise lines. Even keeping the curtains closed will not keep the sun/heat from warming up the cabin. While it may be a nice looking design to have only partially covered balconies, it is not a practical design. You can even feel the difference in temps while you walk through a deck. As you approach mid ship, you really notice that the temps grow warmer. Why, I don't know. Both the front and the back of the ship are cooler for some reason.

The first time on the Crown we were on Baja deck and when I would sit by the mirror to put my makeup on, I started to sweat. Since I did not have a sunburn, I thought I was sick. Turns out that the heat from the balcony was making the area by the mirror extremely hot. The rest of the cabin wasn't bad, but you could not approach the balcony area without feeling the difference in the temps. We kept the curtains closed all day and it helped a little bit.

On Caribe deck, since the balcony is larger and more covered, the cabin seemed cooler.

MARAPRINCE

I find it interesting that you found the cabins mid-ship to be warmer then the front or back of the ship. Since we tend to stay in cabins mid-ship that could be my problem.

I find it interesting that you found the cabins mid-ship to be warmer then the front or back of the ship. Since we tend to stay in cabins mid-ship that could be my problem.

There is a very noticeable temperature difference between Caribe deck and Baja deck -- more balcony coverage vs. almost none -- when you walk through the decks to get to the elevators or to the buffet/dining rooms. You can feel the change in temperatures. All I can think of is that the aft balconies are bigger and provide more coverage than those mid ship. As far as the front, maybe that is where the AC units are located? Just a guess.

MARAPRINCE

There is a very noticeable temperature difference between Caribe deck and Baja deck -- more balcony coverage vs. almost none -- when you walk through the decks to get to the elevators or to the buffet/dining rooms. You can feel the change in temperatures. All I can think of is that the aft balconies are bigger and provide more coverage than those mid ship. As far as the front, maybe that is where the AC units are located? Just a guess.

MARAPRINCE

I guess I will need to start paying better attention to where I am getting a cabin. I prefer a cool cabin to a mid-ship Caribe deck cabin.

Margord,

I am on board the Island now, traveling with another couple and both of us have commented that the ship and cabins all seem hotter-but we are doing a Panama Canal cruise so perhaps because the outside air is hot the ship is warmer too? Normally I take a pashmina out in the evening as the show rooms and lounges are chilly, but not on this cruise!!

Margord,

I am on board the Island now, traveling with another couple and both of us have commented that the ship and cabins all seem hotter-but we are doing a Panama Canal cruise so perhaps because the outside air is hot the ship is warmer too? Normally I take a pashmina out in the evening as the show rooms and lounges are chilly, but not on this cruise!!

I have cruised to the Caribbean, Tahiti and Hawaii and never had problems with the temps being too warm. This problem has seemed to occur over the last few years. I still think it is another way for the cruise lines to save money. Unfortunately it jeaopardizes the comfort of passengers.

Just got off the Ruby Princess, we stayed in the mini suites Emerald deck with covered balcony. Our room was soooo hot. When we entered our suite the phone was ringing and when I answered the phone it was a recorded anouncement stating for me to leave the room imediately and go to my muster station. I must say I freaked out a bit, I didnt see anyone in the hall way (I know we were on early) I made a call, and was asked it I was taking a hot shower? (I just got on the ship) was told if the room gets too hot it will activate the phone to let you know you must leave the room. I could barely stay in my room. They came a few times to check it but not much help. We were having dinner and water was dripping on my head from the condensation. The ship was HOT, HOT, HOT and I dont mean that in a good way. The problem is money, air cost money and this is where they are cutting back.......I could remember when you walked in from being outside.......and it was like you walked into a refridgerator.........not now........not much difference.

...We were having dinner and water was dripping on my head from the condensation.
You don't get condensation if something is hot - it has to be cold. It could be that the system was icing up due to overload. That happens when people leave their balcony doors open, or just leave the blinds open with full sun coming in.

We experienced somewhat the same thing in the southern Caribbean on a different Princess ship. I think the humidity is the real culprit, and the lack of air movement in the cabins. Even something as simple as a ceiling fan would help.

You don't get condensation if something is hot - it has to be cold. It could be that the system was icing up due to overload. That happens when people leave their balcony doors open, or just leave the blinds open with full sun coming in.

We experienced somewhat the same thing in the southern Caribbean on a different Princess ship. I think the humidity is the real culprit, and the lack of air movement in the cabins. Even something as simple as a ceiling fan would help.

This was happening in the main dining room while we were eating dinner not in our cabin. They moved us. Our cabin was another problem itself

I've come to the conclusion that a comfortable temperature is a subjective thing. Several years ago I took my then 82 year old mother to London. Being a typical Yank, she is used to overheated rooms. She turned our thermostat up to 80 before she stopped whining about the cold. I had nightmares every night, probably due to the heat. Now, my DH is part polar bear, and I have had to adjust to his temperature preferences. Brrrrr! He has always been comfortable on the Princess ships. I use the duvet!!

51TZPYTZGAL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

I don't cruise without the table fan I purchased on Amazon. I also bring my digital Humidity/Temperature Indicator just to keep them honest. It's hard to deny the cabin is warm when it says 78 degrees and 68% humidity. The fan is only $20 and is quiet and lightweight.

My son and his bride are on their honeymoon on the Emerald Princess this week. I hope their cabin is cool.

Hello Janis.... what's the manufacturer name for your fan? It does look a good style!

Just went on the Nov 21-28 Crown cruise and we encountered the same warm cabin temps, at least initially. We were in D608 on the Dolphin deck, which is pretty close to the middle of the ship. It was on the uncomfortable side on the first day but improved once we got under way. I thought most of the ship was warm on the first day.

With the clouds and rain on the last three days, it actually was too cool and I cranked up the temp in the cabin.

Just went on the Nov 21-28 Crown cruise and we encountered the same warm cabin temps, at least initially. We were in D608 on the Dolphin deck, which is pretty close to the middle of the ship. It was on the uncomfortable side on the first day but improved once we got under way. I thought most of the ship was warm on the first day.

On most ships, it is usually warm in the cabins on turn around day because they have everything open for loading, people, luggage, supplies and fuel.

Just returned from 30-day Star South Pacific Sydney to LA and our inside cabin was also too warm, especially during the night. Temp control was at the coldest setting. During the day the cold setting would be colder than at night. Not sure why. We were Caribe 253

On most ships, it is usually warm in the cabins on turn around day because they have everything open for loading, people, luggage, supplies and fuel.

This part never made sense to me. My room is closed up so why is it affected by loading people, luggage and supplies. When I have a warm room to begin with and call they always give me this excuse. Unfortunately, 2 days later there is no change.

Archived