Too Warm Temps in Cabins

margord

Thank you, Debbie! I will print these out and take them with us.

I, too, have thought about sleeping in the public areas hoping that would make them fix the air in the cabin and even suggested this to DH last cruise! Not brave enough yet nor have I had enough drinks to make me not care!

We too felt too warm in our balcony room. I usually am more comfortable with temps than DH. We had it all the way down and the curtains closed and I was still sweating anytime I moved around in cabin, just getting things together for the evening. The maintenance person said the system was functioning properly. The room next to us that our friends were in was definitely cooler than ours. Next time I am taking a temperature gauge.

Janisutx,

I've been looking at the fan you mentioned and have one question. Can you set it to run all night or does it only run for an amount of time set by the timer? We would need it to just run all night, not stop after a short period of time.

Thanks!

Janisutx,

I've been looking at the fan you mentioned and have one question. Can you set it to run all night or does it only run for an amount of time set by the timer? We would need it to just run all night, not stop after a short period of time.

Thanks!

The timer is a separate knob so it's just an option. The fan has the usual 3 speeds. I also like that the white noise it creates reduces the effect of the loud sounds in the hall. I never use the timer.

My wife & I found our Coral Dolphin Deck cabin to be notably warm on the Panama trip last week. In fact we thought that the ship as a whole was warmer than other cruises we've been on with Princess. By chance had we packed a small fan and it was used most of the time. An HVAC tech came to our cabin soon after we mentioned the temp to our steward and his tweaking did help. On the other hand, two of our girls said that they couldn't keep their cabin warm enough.

We always keep the balcony door closed and the drapes drawn and it still does not seem as if the air conditioning is working properly.

What a shame to have to keep the drapes closed and the balcony door closed when you are paying all that extra money to be in the balcony cabin in the first place! :confused:

What a shame to have to keep the drapes closed and the balcony door closed when you are paying all that extra money to be in the balcony cabin in the first place! :confused:

LOL - for some reason your comment just hit my funny bone.

Has anyone other than me noticed that the temperatures in the cabins seems to be getting much warmer. Even though we turned the thermostat all the way down the cabin stays warm. We have thermometers on our travel clocks and many times the temps will not go below 75 degrees. I find this too warm expecially for sleeping. We have had to call someone to try to get the temps down on our last 5 cruises. This is done after keeping out curtains closed and the thermostat at the lowest setting. Many times nothing is done until my 3rd or 4th call. I'm starting to get a little frustrated. We have been in a balcony cabin every time and can not figure out if it is a bad design (warm air coming through the sliding glass doors) or another attempt by the cruise line to save money. This has happened to us on the Emerald, Grand and twice on the Crown.

Just got off the Ruby yesterday and our cabin was always too warm. We had a Baja balcony and had the thermosat on the lowest setting and kept the drapes closed all the time too.

And they no longer put a top sheet on the bed, only the duvet. If you want a top sheet, you have to ask your cabin steward for one.

To spend extra money for a balcony and not be able to enjoy the view from inside your cabin, is not what I had in mind when I booked my cruise. :(

The ship's HVAC system can't handle the humid outside air too. Your balcony cabin gives you access to the outdoor space and a great view, not the right to overload the HVAC system.

The ship's HVAC system can't handle the humid outside air too. Your balcony cabin gives you access to the outdoor space and a great view, not the right to overload the HVAC system.

If it is overloading the HVAC then it is a very poor design.

WOW... just WOW... :confused:

Not appropriate.

PS: Will be boarding the Ruby soon. So I hate to hear about warm temps in staterooms on the Ruby.

You can bet that if my cabin is warm, I will be VERY assertive to make sure that they don't 'blow me off' about it.

I have printed off the directions to by-pass the programming on the thermostat, and will try to do that if necessary.

WOW... just WOW... :confused:

Not appropriate.

PS: Will be boarding the Ruby soon. So I hate to hear about warm temps in staterooms on the Ruby.

You can bet that if my cabin is warm, I will be VERY assertive to make sure that they don't 'blow me off' about it.

I have printed off the directions to by-pass the programming on the thermostat, and will try to do that if necessary.

I think the by-pass instructions are for Disney resorts unless I missread the postings.

In my dreams, I picture a ship with a ceiling fan in every cabin!:D

I have been wishing for that for quite a while now. It would be such an improvement. Especially in the middle of the night, when I am sure they cut down on the a/c. We have noticed that the temperature is nice and cool when we go to bed,but then it gets quite warm later in the night. It's been happening on every cruise lately,and we cruise quite a bit so I don't believe it is a coincidence.

We leave Fortlauderdale in December on the Crown Princess to GrandCayman etc. I am concerned about this warm cabin issue because I suffer from Multiple Sclerosis and I do not function when it is too warm. I need airconditioning, some place to get away from the heat, especially at night.Maybe we will be o.k. because we have an inside cabin?

I am o.k. swimming in the water, because water cools you off, so any excursions in the water should be fine. But cool at night while sleeping is a must!

Has anyone other than me noticed that the temperatures in the cabins seems to be getting much warmer. Even though we turned the thermostat all the way down the cabin stays warm. We have thermometers on our travel clocks and many times the temps will not go below 75 degrees. I find this too warm expecially for sleeping. We have had to call someone to try to get the temps down on our last 5 cruises. This is done after keeping out curtains closed and the thermostat at the lowest setting. Many times nothing is done until my 3rd or 4th call. I'm starting to get a little frustrated. We have been in a balcony cabin every time and can not figure out if it is a bad design (warm air coming through the sliding glass doors) or another attempt by the cruise line to save money. This has happened to us on the Emerald, Grand and twice on the Crown.

I can only speak for the Crown and the C. Princess. If you are on a deck other than Caribe, you will not have full coverage of your balcony like on other cruise lines. Even keeping the curtains closed will not keep the sun/heat from warming up the cabin. While it may be a nice looking design to have only partially covered balconies, it is not a practical design. You can even feel the difference in temps while you walk through a deck. As you approach mid ship, you really notice that the temps grow warmer. Why, I don't know. Both the front and the back of the ship are cooler for some reason.

The first time on the Crown we were on Baja deck and when I would sit by the mirror to put my makeup on, I started to sweat. Since I did not have a sunburn, I thought I was sick. Turns out that the heat from the balcony was making the area by the mirror extremely hot. The rest of the cabin wasn't bad, but you could not approach the balcony area without feeling the difference in the temps. We kept the curtains closed all day and it helped a little bit.

On Caribe deck, since the balcony is larger and more covered, the cabin seemed cooler.

MARAPRINCE

We leave Fortlauderdale in December on the Crown Princess to GrandCayman etc. I am concerned about this warm cabin issue because I suffer from Multiple Sclerosis and I do not function when it is too warm. I need airconditioning, some place to get away from the heat, especially at night.Maybe we will be o.k. because we have an inside cabin?

You may want to consider shipping a fan to your FLL hotel since it is crucial you stay cool. I posted a photo on this thread of the fan I ordered from Amazon for my South American cruise. I liked it so much I brought it back with me on the plane instead of leaving it on the ship as I had planned. Also bring a digital temp/humidity indicator so you can monitor it yourself. I do hope you get a nice cool cabin and considerate neighbors on your HVAC string who keep their balcony doors closed.

Archived