Debating on taking 7 month old on the Oasis of the Seas.

bryanfamily

Please help. Having last minute jitters about not taking our 7 month old on the inaugural sailing of the Oasis of the Seas. At first I thought I could leave her behind, but as a new mom, the thought is now unsettling. Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated. One of the major factors of course is costs (which is weighing heavily on my DH's pockets), but beyond that I we just learned that the Oasis has the fleets first Nursery (has anyone used RCL in cabin babysitting or nurseries on some of the other cruise lines)? Any tips for shows and excursions? We were hoping to do Megan's Bay in St. Thomas but other than that, we hope to enjoy the ship and some of the specialty restaurants.

How has your experience been with an infant?

Thanks!

Personally, until a child is old enough to appreciate and remember the trip, I wouldn't pay the extra money to take them, if I had a trusted person willing to keep them. You won't be able to experience all there is with a baby, and you'll pay a premium for bringing her along....

This is a great time to let a family member "bond" with baby, and for you and hubby to get "re-aquainted!" After all, you ARE more than parents...you're spouses, friends and lovers...that's a VERY important part of the family. Get to know each other again. Have some adult fun. Baby won't know what she's missed!

Please help. Having last minute jitters about not taking our 7 month old on the inaugural sailing of the Oasis of the Seas. At first I thought I could leave her behind, but as a new mom, the thought is now unsettling. Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated. One of the major factors of course is costs (which is weighing heavily on my DH's pockets), but beyond that I we just learned that the Oasis has the fleets first Nursery (has anyone used RCL in cabin babysitting or nurseries on some of the other cruise lines)? Any tips for shows and excursions? We were hoping to do Megan's Bay in St. Thomas but other than that, we hope to enjoy the ship and some of the specialty restaurants.

How has your experience been with an infant?

Thanks!

You will not have any issues, you would have far more jitters by leaving the child behind. I do not like in cabin babysitting on RCCL, but love the Nursery on Disney. I have read a lot about the Oasis Nursery and I think it will be fantasic.

It really is up to you if you don't think you can handle the seperation then go ahead and take her your experience will certainly be a lot different and not quite so romantic. But taking a baby will probably be a lot easier than a two year old as they don't really go anywhere fast and they are usually content to sleep in a pram!

We will be going on a 10 day MSC Caribbean cruise Nov 30th with our 4 y.o DD and 4 month DS and I am really looking forward to the one on one time I will get to spend with the kids where I have nothing else to worry about we can enjoy some great family time together and not worry about cooking cleaning etc etc all the stuff that takes you away from play time with your kids

Sorry I have no specific advice re your ship just wanted to let you know that you wouldn't be the only one taking a baby on a cruise :D

I'm on the 12/1 sailing of the Oasis and I'm bringing my 2 yr old. I say bring your daughter. My DD went on her first cruise at 5 mos. It was easier to sail with her then. At that age they are less active and will sleep through a lot of activities that you might want to attend. Just as others caution though. It will be a working cruise, but the quality, leisure time you get to spend as a family is worth it.

I for one wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my kid behind. If you are like me, (its sounds like you are) you'll spend more time worrying about how she is doing, and adjusting without you there. It's easier to just bring her. With shows and activities, I sit towards the back on the end of the row so that I can make a quick escape if necessary.

Family vacations are great. But, my vote (and I know I don't get one) is for leaving the little one at home, assuming that you have a willing grandparent or other family member. It's more important to have one on one time with your husband than your infant.

taking a 7 month old on a cruise --it wont be the same cruise that you were expecting to take.

7 months could be teething-- naps etc. You will need to stay on the babies schedule as much as possible,

I agree that let the family member bond-- (i was glad I had that experiience) and you enjoy your honey which im sure you both need after 7 months

Personally I would not take a child less than 1 year old on a cruise and it has nothing to do with "not enjoying the cruise" because I think you can enjoy cruises with kids of all ages just as much as you enjoy land trips or being at home with your kids :) It has more to do with their immune system and stuff. I would worry about receiving proper care if something were to come up. I did not even know my son had "bad asthma" primarily induced by colds until he was a little over a year old.

Just another opinion about really young kids on cruises. However, again, I never think "adults" can have "as much fun" with young kids when on a cruise. It is just a different type of fun, but fun all the same :)

Family vacations are great. But, my vote (and I know I don't get one) is for leaving the little one at home, assuming that you have a willing grandparent or other family member. It's more important to have one on one time with your husband than your infant.

I totally disagree! You have a lifetime to spend one on one time with your spouse, your child is only an infant for a very short time! A week away from the primary caregiver is a very long time for a baby. At 7 months object permanence (out of sight, no longer means out of mind) has developed which is why babies that age start to "play strange" sometimes even with a grandma they see at least once a week.

Personally, I would have never left my children even overnight at that age. I also breastfed and co-slept which made it even more out of the question.

I think the OP really needs to think about how she will feel being away from her child. Will you have a good time or will you be thinking and worrying about the baby the whole time. How do you think your baby will handle the seperation?

Whats changed that you are suddenly unsure? Im assuming this baby didnt just show up and that you didnt just book this cruise yesterday.

Your baby will NOT forget you.

I "missed" the first 8 months of my daughters life but she is still very bonded to me. Yes they are only little once but missing a week will probably just make you appreciate the baby stage even more when you get back.

Yes the caregivers may have a rough night or two and you may have a rough night or two when you get back. But if you trust the caregivers enough to let them care for your child for a week, let them.

I have been on vacations with babies so Im not opposed to taking them along. Just sit back and think about why you booked the cruise in the first place and dont let anyone guilt you into doing something that you arent sure you want to do.

In the rare instance that something happens you can always fly home pretty quickly.

If you want to bring her, do it. If you want some alone time, do it.

You have a lifetime to spend one on one time with your spouse

And do you know how long that lifetime will be?? Do you?? I know the length of my spouse's lifetime. It WAS 42 years. :mad:

The probability that your spouse will die before the last of your children graduates high school is 5-10%. There is a much higher likelihood that you will spend your sunset years with that child who is now an infant, than with your spouse. There's also the probability of divorce if you don't maintain your marriage.

And do you know how long that lifetime will be?? Do you?? I know the length of my spouse's lifetime. It WAS 42 years. :mad:

The probability that your spouse will die before the last of your children graduates high school is 5-10%. There is a much higher likelihood that you will spend your sunset years with that child who is now an infant, than with your spouse. There's also the probability of divorce if you don't maintain your marriage.

I understand your point, and I'm sorry for your loss. It is important to spend one on one time with your spouse but I just wouldn't do it for a whole week during the first year of my child's life. If it were me, I would want to take baby so that all 3 of us could spend quality time together.

Boulders! How horrible. :( I am so sorry.

Bryanfamily - I am ALOT like you. I refuse to leave my kids - period. My oldest was 7 before we ever spent the night away from her.

HOWEVER, I did bring a 8 month on a cruise and it wasn't a good experience because she got very sick. :( We had to get off the ship. And we had to go to the hospital.

So would I do THAT again. No way. But I wouldn't leave the baby either. So I guess I wouldn't be taking a cruise for a year if I had another child.

I know lots and lots of parents cruise with very young infants. My oldest was a year old when she started cruising. My youngest was 8 months. It was the 8 month old that got really sick.

I look back on it now and realize that her immune system just wasn't strong enough to handle a cruise ship. Yes, she was breast fed and all of that. But she still got sick. And actually that one incidence had lasting consequences (basically because she was sick, she seized and quit breathing which caused lasting problems that we are just NOW finding out now that she is 5 and in school)

So yes, we are the WORST CASE SCENARIO. And no, of course, not everyone goes through this when they cruise with babies (thank God!). But just know that the possibility is out there.

The Oasis Inaugural is December. Prime flu season. So no, I wouldn't risk it. :(

isAbout spending all your time with your kids....we just had a similar conversation yesterday at a playgroup with a large group of moms.

We all love our children. But its okay to say you need a break from the JOB of being a mom. Parenting is hard. You are not a bad parent if you get away from them for a little while. Yeah for the parents who love spending every spare second with their kids. There seems to be a large and ever growing group of attachment parenting and "crunchy" folks.

Every person is different. You have to do what works for you.

If leaving your baby is going to stress you out too much, then either bring baby or cancel your trip.

But its okay to admit that maybe you need to feel like someone who is not just a mom.

We were talking about how isolating it was to feel like horrible parent because some were afraid to admit that they didnt like the job some days.

Happy mommies make happy kids.

i say take your baby with you no matter what .what if something happens while your on your cruise. i would not be able to leave my dd for a week while i was out enjoying myself .would want her to be there enjoying it to.and to the post sorry not sure who it was about having more time with your kids than your dh not always my first dd passed when she was 10 months .:(

I can relate to your question. I'll be taking my baby girl on our cruise in December, and she will be 9 months by then. We've talked about leaving her home with my parents & in-laws, but I don't think I want to leave her. Don't get me wrong, she'd be fine with either of them. But I figure this would be our first real family trip & I wouldn't want her to miss out. Would she remember it? Probably not, hence all the pics that we'll be taking. But it would definitely be an experience for us. Of course, it helps that my parents are now tagging along, so I have the babysitting taken care of ;)

Because we're going in December, I've already immunized myself with H1N1 & the regular flu shot, and likewise with my DD. I would make a point of just being aware of her surroundings to keep her safe and the people around us too. If we're at dinner or at a show and she starts to fuss, we'll make a quick exit as I don't want to disturb other guests' enjoyment. I hope others would do the same.

With our cruise about a month away, now I'm trying to figure out how to pack her things so that it doesn't look like I've packed the house!

Archived