"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

However, instead of duct tape, I take a roll of sticky sports strapping tape. We have used this for 1)strapping an injured rolled ankle (its VERY supportive) 2) strapping together a deep cut on the bottom of a foot which was injured on coral (after flushing it out thoroughly of course and treated with antibacterial stuff), 3) taping up broken luggage 4) holding anything else together or in place - we used it one time to strap together a sandel that had come apart and there would have been no other way to keep the sandel operational for the duration of the holiday. its GREAT stuff and so versatile :)

I would imagine it would also be great for holding balcony doors/drawers & cupboards in place when ship is in rough weather.

Brilliant idea about the sports tape instead of duct tape - much more versatile. Just updated my packing list accordingly :)

My Dad has to take a cell phone everywhere he goes as he is on the wait list for a kidney. This will be the 2nd transplant for him (his first kidney rejected after 8 years) and it is getting down to the wire. A phone call will literally mean life or death.

I agree with posters that if you CAN unplug from technology the benefits are amazing though. I live on the internet so to go without is very difficult but I do find after a few days my mind starts to think differently and you experience peace in a way that isn't possible being plugged in. :cool:

Both ways are fine of course. I just highly reccomend trying both if you can to compare the difference!

My Dad has to take a cell phone everywhere he goes as he is on the wait list for a kidney.

if you can

That's the key. To recognize that some people have a choice but others do not and should not be shamed and told they think they are "too important" to leave it off the whole trip.

Brilliant idea about the sports tape instead of duct tape - much more versatile. Just updated my packing list accordingly :)

We took our own snorkel gear on our cruise to New Caledonia just recently. Unfortunately my tube had a hole in it BUT good news is that we taped it up with sports tape and voila! it lasted the rest of the trip. Didnt know whether sports tape would be waterproof enough but obviously it was. Another tick for the sports tape :D (it did look ugly though LOL but hey saved $40AUD to borrow P&O's gear;))

We took our own snorkel gear on our cruise to New Caledonia just recently. Unfortunately my tube had a hole in it BUT good news is that we taped it up with sports tape and voila! it lasted the rest of the trip. Didnt know whether sports tape would be waterproof enough but obviously it was. Another tick for the sports tape :D (it did look ugly though LOL but hey saved $40AUD to borrow P&O's gear;))

Hey - great to hear this idea worked well for someone else. Will definitely take some with me then.

:)

I too wish I had read these before my first cruise! Especially the mulit outlet and extension cord.

I would also bring a clock if you are one of those in an inside cabin and like to know what time it is when you wake up. The cell phone is only good where there is reception.

Totally agree with getting to know the stewards, waiters etc. They have wonderful stories to share, and love to talk.

Use suitcases that nest so you have more space under the bed for laundry etc. Bring a bag for your laundry as well.

The coke and coffee cards are great if you don't plan on drinking much alcohol. Plenty of fluid is a must.

Get out and move. We have noticed a lot of ankle swelling on our cruises, too much sit down time, and salt in the food.

Have fun!

We returned from our first cruise about a week and a half ago and here's what I learned would suit us:

Don't take:

- As many clothes as you think you need. Yes, I will admit that I took too many. I did well on the formal nights by taking a different blouse for each but wearing the same pants for the three we had. I will probably repeat an outfit in the future. I also took too many tank tops. Since we were on for 16 days, we did a wash; had I really thought it through, I would have cut down on half of those. Besides, then you will have the room for more souvenirs! This will cut down on the jewelry I think I need as well.

- The extension cord and power bar. We managed well until the last night and then decided to recharge everything before leaving the ship because we had it anyway. It was a lot of extra weight.

Do take:

- Clear packing tape - It was essential for the covering the luggage tags we printed off from the Princess web site.

- Lanyards - Awesome for your cruise card. I also put my coffee card on it and just reinforced the corner with tape.

- Quarters for the washer and dryer - Even if you don't think you will do laundry, you may get caught in a downpour and need to dry your clothes so that you can pack them. Also, you won't have to fight with the change machine.

- Local currency - We had purchased ours before leaving and didn't have to deal with the poor exchange rate on the ship's ATM. As well, we had a friend whose bank card was "eaten" by an ATM in a port and they lost an hour in paperwork!

- Purel 3-in-1 laundry sheets - AWESOME! We threw four in a baggie and were done.

- Luggage scale - It got a workout that last night but worth the money we saved from being overweight.

- PacSafe moneybelts and purse - Pickpocket and slash proof. Great products. They don't replace caution and common sense but do reassure.

- Labels pre-printed with the addresses of people you want to send postcards to - We do it from every port to the kids in the family; it saved time and I didn't have to carry an address book off the ship.

- An eBook Reader - I am an avid reader and it was soooooo much easier to load this up with a dozen books than trying to fit them into my luggage. Don't forget the charger!

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Hope this list helps someone! Thank you to those who contributed to this thread before - you really gave me a lot of great ideas. I am reiterating some in the list above but the great ones bear repeating!

Well, being a poor grad student, this might not be a option for you, but you can "prepay" your card what you expect to charge on the cruise. That way you will have a larger limit. Or, you can call the card and ask for a limit increase, but in this envirnoment, that might not get you very far. Also, some of the cruises will set up a cash account for you, but I think it has to be paid off by the last day of the cruise. Don't know, never went that way.

"Prepaying" (or overpaying) your card so that you have a "larger limit" most likely does not work -- I work in a bank and if someone has a $1,000 limit and makes a payment so that that they have a credit balance, their limit is NOT increased -- they still only have $1,000 available for card authorizations. Don't do this without first checking with your credit card issuer. If you don't think you have enough credit available, you can do the "cash" option on your onboard account and pre-pay THAT not your credit card.

• 1 month later...
.I've seen a lot of people saying that if you don't like your dining companions you can change them but do you always have dining companions? I thought I read somewhere that some dining (we have the anytime dining) can be just the two of us...it's not that we are anti social but it seems like if we are showing up whenever we want that.

For Anytime Dining, you can request a "table for 2", and it's not a problem. However, I strongly suggest that you'll have more fun getting a table for 4 or 6 because you'll meet others. It is from others that you learn what is NOT posted in the Daily Schedule; where to go/not go at the next port; places on the ship that you didn't know existed, but you'd love to see; etc.

What do you mean by "Use suitcases that nest"?

That means that the suitcases can fit inside each other so that you only have the largest suitcase size to store. The rest will be inside the large one.

We are taking our first cruise in October and I was wondering...I've seen a lot of people saying that if you don't like your dining companions you can change them but do you always have dining companions? I thought I read somewhere that some dining (we have the anytime dining) can be just the two of us...it's not that we are anti social but it seems like if we are showing up whenever we want that it would be bothersome to have to wait on a table opening and then wait for it to fill up in order to order...Anyone know about this...Oh yeah, we're on Carnival Conquest...

Your dining table is assigned to you before you board and will be listed on your sign & sail card. On your first day on board, go straight to the dining room and check out the table. If it looks like you're going to be seated at a table for four or six go and talk to the maitre'd and request a table for two. The maitre'd is usually very good at accomodating your request. Before dinner you'll get a message in your stateroom with your new dining table assignment. AND if you'd really rather not deal with the formal dining room you can always eat at the buffet.

I guess after the size of the rooms, the good-but-not-gourmet food, and general limited space on the ships, our biggest surprise was the plethora of extra charges. Then we spent about the same money at 5 star all-inclusive resorts in Cancun and Playa del Carmen and were wowed!

500 sqft, fully stocked suites that sleep 3-5 in comfort and privacy; free unlimited food and beverages (including alcohol), 5 or 6 restaurants with good-to-gourmet, fresh foods; All free with our All Inclusive bracelet. Great big pools, broad white sand beaches with azure water, plenty of lounge chairs, hammocks and even king sized beds under the palm trees, all free. Free kayaks, snorkling equipment and catamarans, free bicycles, free organized activities for adults and kids, dance lessons, Spanish lessons and evening entertainment. All free. Nearby is great shopping and lots of it, including big megastores to buy batteries and sun tan lotion cheap, great restaurants and many attractions to enjoy at our leisure rather than between 7AM and 4 PM on Tuesday.

Our one question now every time we consider a cruise is: how will this compare with our timeshare resort? That question really saves us money and improves the quality of our vacations.

Kay...now I am terrified.:eek:

I hadn't thought about the getting into Ft Lauderdale the day before. The four of us are flying in the day of departure.

Changing the flights would cost an extra $469 per person. SO the question is....what the heck do I do?

Kay...now I am terrified.:eek:

I hadn't thought about the getting into Ft Lauderdale the day before. The four of us are flying in the day of departure.

Changing the flights would cost an extra $469 per person. SO the question is....what the heck do I do?

At that big of a price difference I think you just leave things as they are and keep your fingers crossed that everything work outs. Did you purchase any traval insurance?

1. Pack light - except for formal nights, you won't need much during the day except swim suits & flip-flops.

2. Casual/smart casual evenings can be interchangeable by mixing/matching skirts, tops and pants, and glittery accessories can jazz up anything.

3. If your ship says no flip-flops/shorts/tanks to the dining room, don't wear them. That's what the lido deck (buffet) is for.

4. Take a light-weight jacket and jogging pants, you may find need for them in the early morning or late evening.

5. Have hubby's button downs cleaned, pressed & starched before leaving home, our dry cleaners will fold for packing, and it saves so much space and hassel.

6. Let the bathroom be your steamer - hang wrinkled clothes in the bathroom while you enjoy a hot, steamy shower with the door closed. Those wrinkles will disappear in a hurry.

7. Take a collapsable bag (ours slips right in the outside pocket of our carry-on) to use as a dirty-laundry bag, then you have extra space for souviners/alcohol.

8. Take time to unpack and organize, you will appreciate it in the long run.

9. Grab a collapsable shoe organizer from your local "big box" store - great for shoes, belts, etc.. and doesn't take much packing space & hangs right in your closet.

10. Arrive the day before - trust me, it's worth the extra night of hotel.

11. Arrive at the pier as soon as you can - usually 11:00 AM for a 5:00 PM sailing, it's a lot of fun to tour the ship.

12. Make friends with your bartender and stick with them.

13. Same goes for cabin steward and wait staff - the head waiter from a previous cruise became the Head Matr'd for a specialty restaurant on another sailing, he rememberd us and we got some nice perks out of that, plus we truly enjoyed seeing him again.

14. Journal daily - either long-hand or on the computer, share with family/friends (they get a kick out of this) and use to look back on fondly and as a way to keep track of likes/dislikes for future sailings.

15. Sign up with your cruise line's loyalty program, you will build great perks, even after your first sailing.

16. Let them know your celebrating - they love to celebrate with you. We've had birthday's, anniversaries, graduations, etc...

17. Enjoy the food, and the room service - you've paid for it.

18. Participate in onboard contests, game shows and activites - it's lots of fun, you meet new people, and could win great prizes like future cruises.

19. Play bingo at least once, it's not your grandma's dobber anymore.

20. Heels are for the land-lubbers - go with some smart flats or wedges - you don't need a twisted ankle due to a rolling ship to ruin your cruise.

21. Ask for the drink of the day in a regular glass - they charge for those cute little specialty glasses (usually at least $1 more) and do you really need to take them all home?

22. Don't forget vertigo/sea sick pills or patches, they will save your cruise. Put them on the morning of your sailing, before you get to your ship.

23. Save your onboard purchases for the last day, you'll find the best deals and not take up a lot of room in your cabin.

24. If you can carry off all your luggage, do so, it will save a lot of time and hassel. But remember - patience is needed during embarkation, disembarkation and tendering, you are not the only one on the ship and everyone wants off at the same time. You've just enjoyed the best vacation ever, don't ruin it with a nasty attitude.

25. SIGN UP FOR A MEET & MINGLE and GO!

oh, finally - don't forget your camera, extra batteries & memory cards - and snap away - you can have fun weeding them out later.

AS of 1am I have been on this thread since midnight reading all 18 pages worth of tips

thanks folks ;-)

One more tip - SLEEP!!!:D

I'm kidding, but not. Get plenty of rest before your cruise and make sure you have time after your cruise to relax. During your cruise STAY AWAKE! You don't want to miss a minute.

A tip I learned at Schlitterbahn....those "waterproof" containers sometimes leak, so take a few sandwich size ziplock baggies and put your stuff in (S/S card, cash, etc), squish all the air out, and then put it in your waterproof container...works great!;)

Since I won't be going to Schlitterbahn any time soon, where would I buy one of these at?