"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

If your ship has a slide, no matter how young or how old (dignified, mature, etc.) you think you are, if you are physically able, go down it at least once. There's a reason kids coming off the slide have such a big smile on their faces...go get yourself one of those big smiles! :D

Be careful ;)

My DVD player (my one over-packing item as I can't sleep without it)

If we're driving to port our pillows, if flying we just suffer the week without them :(

A very small fan, although these can be confiscated and held at port until disembarkation

a short extension cord, a 3 outlet power strip (this is just packed into my carry on all the time, we don't always use it)

I leave home from experience:

Duct tape, highlighter pens, cups, extra bags (you can always pack your beach bag as a carry on), over-the-door shoe holder, water wallets, money belts (exceptions are made). There is probably much more that I can't think of at the moment, I'll add later if I have any recall.

Edit to ask...Are you sure there is no hairdresser on your ship????

I have to have a TV to sleep. Why do you take your DVD player, do they not have shows to watchon the TV?

Thanks to all of you for all these great tips! I will be thanking you all throughout my cruise!

I saw one post that said they bring a small fan....I hope I don't sound stupid but do the cabins not have their own temp control? I don't like it hot when I sleep so I am curious....

Thanks!

I take a fan for the White noise it helps me sleep, I also bring a bungee cord to hold the balcony door open so if I want to sleep with the sound of the ocean i can also do that.

I just returned from my first cruise. Southeast Asia on Costa Classica.

Unlike other folks experiences, they provided us with a powerstrip.

The biggest thing I wish I knew before going was how overpriced and painful excursions can be. If you are in port for 8 hours, an excursion with a 4hr bus ride better take you to a location you really want to go. The precruise tips from the cruise company did not mention that there were shuttles to take you to town in most ports where it was not walkable. Many ports also had fleets of taxi/tour guides that would custom bake you a tour at a fraction of the excursion prices. Also with many excursions they lock you into really poor representation of local food and don't leave you with enough time to venture out on your own to find your own. If I had it to do over again, I would have not booked any excursions (well maybe in Brunei as we had a short time in port and taxis are not plentiful).

Oh yeah onboard laundry was very expensive. I was very glad to have packed enough clothes to last the whole trip.

My favorite tip? Bring along a large trash bag. Put it into your empty suitcase under the bed. Throw dirty/worn clothes into it as soon as they are removed. By the time the cruise is over, almost all your packing is already done. Tie up the laundry bag, and pack the unworn stuff/shoes and extras around it. Done! Also bring a 1 gallon ziploc bag to put undies in, after they've been worn of course, and keep in one of the drawers. Then just zip shut and toss in the suitcase headed for home.

Also, my Hubbs, spends over 300 days a year at hotels, so I just throw in a few of those hotel soaps, shampoo's and conditioners and I'm done. What I don't use up gets tossed.

I bring my cd player to listen to before sleep. (drowns out my hubbs snoring)

I bring an over-the-door-hanging thingy to stock all the extras and hang it in the closet. I can easily reach my sunscreen, hairbrush, extra batteries, camera, shoes, and all the other extra stuff. The best part is there's no hunting through drawers to find stuff, and I can just lay the whole thing in my suitcase to bring home.

Always remember to get room service for coffee and pastries in the early am. Not only is it an excellent alarm clock (they always call before bringing it) but it insures I have a nice cup of coffee to watch the sun come up with on deck.

I always make time to watch the sunrise and sunset.

This is my first cruise and I am reading all the tips from former cruisers. Is the pool water Sea water or ship waterthat is purified? Thank you in advance for the answer.

Sea water. They fill the pools when they leave port and generally drain them and keep them empty in port for safety. They seem to be purified somehow, but not sure of the method. They look like any other pool, but salty.

I'm so glad I found this discussion topic. 218 days until I sail out of Miami for my 40th Birthday cruise. 12 of my girlfriends are sailing with me. I've found some excellent tips here and will check back regularly. Thank you all of you!!

Thanks for all the great advise, I will be flying in the day before we sail and staying overnight in Miami, I wish to cut down on the cost of drinks by boarding with my allowance of wine and a 6 pack of soda. (carnival Glory) Can someone please tell me where I could purchase these items in the port of Miami, or maybe at Miami International airport? Thanks in advance

Mine would be

1. don't waste valuable space in your case packing beach towels - they provide them for use on deack and ashore

2. Don't book excursions for every day on your first day - it is tiring getting up early every day and being hoarded around in a group. Be selective about which you book and also consider some time onboard during the day to make use of all the facilities when it is quieter

3. Investigate drink and spa packages before you go - you can save a lot of money that way

4. That ships were a cashless place where you use your cruise card to pay for things. Also not to bring a purse with a magnetic clip as it wipes your cruise card and you end up having to trail down to reception to get it fixed before you can get back in your cabin!

5. Research the prots of call on here and other boards before you sail, that way you will know what is available and what you fancy doing before you arrive in port and not waste valuable port time dithering. You can also avoid the need for expensive ship's excusrions and have more fun and freedom exploring yourself (just make sure you allow enough time to get back to the ship by the all aboard time - they won't wait for you if you are late back)

Above all I wish I'd known about CC before I'd gone - could have found out so much more before I'd sailed the first time.

I don't think this has been asked yet.....

We will be leaving our 5 year old at home for our first cruise (Carnival) and are worried if something happens to her we won't be reachable. We will have our Iphones on airplane mode and check them a few times a day for messages just in case there is an emergency. We use AT&T and will be going to Cozumel and back. So the question is does anyone know if the cruise ships have emergency contact info for people to call if something happens, or is there a type of prepaid phone we could bring that would work in Cozumel and on the waters?

I hope that made sense!

Thanks!!:D

Contact At&t and see if you can add Mexico onto your plan for the month let them know you are going out of the country... that's what I did.., but that was a while back, then I cancelled when just before the month was over. I could call home from Mexico and they could call, was still more than home but not an arm and a leg to check home.

I don't think this has been asked yet.....

We will be leaving our 5 year old at home for our first cruise (Carnival) and are worried if something happens to her we won't be reachable. We will have our Iphones on airplane mode and check them a few times a day for messages just in case there is an emergency. We use AT&T and will be going to Cozumel and back. So the question is does anyone know if the cruise ships have emergency contact info for people to call if something happens, or is there a type of prepaid phone we could bring that would work in Cozumel and on the waters?

I hope that made sense!

Thanks!!:D

Me again, although it was a few yrs ago, it only cost like 4 dollars to add Mexico for the month, and then 29 cents a minute or something like that. Carnival has gone down on thier price per minute to use the cell phone.. now too, I believe it about 2.99 a minute, for cell phone use.. not texting that is unreal.. And your mom can call the emergency number and get you for 10 dollars a minute.. but an emergency situation.. who does really cares as long as you get notified.

Thank you!!! I, too, never dreamed in a million years that I would ever be counting down the days to my first cruise. I met my husband almost 5 years ago and we have been married almost 2 years. We are both in our 50s. If anyone had told me that I would meet the man of my dreams and walk down the aisle in a white wedding gown at the age of 50, I would have thought they were totally nuts. But that and then some has happened to me. My wonderful husband has taken me to places that were only a far off dream to me and now, a CRUISE!!!!

We plan to enjoy every minute of it... sunrises, sunsets, meeting new people, seeing new things and most of all, just being together.

My wish for everyone awaiting an upcoming cruise or anticipating a future one, may you have the very best time of your lives:D:D:D:D

I just happend to read this Congrad to you both.. and congrads on your first cruise... Caution.. It is very addictive...

me gain...forgot to mention that something I nearly got caught out with, was that i didn't know that you had to put your suitcase outside your cabin by 1am on your last night and that you needed to have a bag with you for your overnight stuff and remaining toiletries fot the final morning. Fortunately, i managed to stuff everything in to a very small carry on bag and my purse but it was a tight squeeze and I did have to jettison a few half used toiletries.

I just joined the CC boards, but have been on the Disney Boards for awhile. We have cruised many times on Disney, and once on Hal. This June will be our first time ON Royal Carribbean, as we sail out of Baltimore to do the New England/Canada cruise.

Things we have found that help are:

ZIPLOC BAGS! When I pack, I at least make sure all the underwear is in a gallon bag, bras, also socks. Separate for the family members. Then, you don't need to worry about someone going through your personal items if your bag is checked. And, you will end up using them for many things at the end of the cruise (even if its not to put the underwear back in). Could be for wet swim suits, shoes that may have become wet/dirty and you don't want with your clothes, liquid items you may need to take back home with you, etc. List is endless. Throw a few quart and maybe even a 2 gallon or so in there. You will be glad you did!

I see we can't do this on RC, but Disney had Laundry rooms. Those Purex sheets are awesome for that. Make sure to find out how much the machines are for a wash and dry, so you can pack enough quarters since they aren't always available. I will have to rethink my normal packing strategy now that we won't have a laundry room available!

A couple of large clips (like bag clips or those large paper clips) are great to keep the curtains closed in the cabin, esp if 4 are sleeping in the same room! A small flashlight is a good idea.

Take all the formal pictures you want, you don't HAVE to buy them. But you may actually like a few of them! You can choose later!

I really think the soda/juice plans are the way to go. Esp when you are eating dinner and your kids want something other than water or iced tea. That is one definate perk to Disney, you have unlimited soda/juice/milk/ coffee/tea refills the whole trip! Saves you tons of $$$

It does help to prepay the tips, then you don't have to add in those $$ to your trip money. For some who charge everything to their CC and pay it off each month, it helps if you pay the tips a few months before so they are done and no longer an issue!

I wish I had found CC months ago! My sweetheart and I are tying the knot this weekend, and we sail the Western Caribbean next week. (My first cruise, her second!)

Since finding CC last week, I've been amazed at the amount of helpful information available. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful tips! I can't wait to share in what all of you have already experienced. You can bet I'll become a faithful CC follower...and probably a lifelong cruise addict.

Our family is preparing to take another cruise, so to make it easier for them - particularly our Mom - to sort through these great suggestions, I've consolidated them in categories. I've posted them at our website - under 'Wish I Had Known' - where you can access them as well. There is nothing for sale at our site; it's designed to share ideas for our family and friends. Thanks to all of your for sharing these wonderful ideas.

Our family is preparing to take another cruise, so to make it easier for them - particularly our Mom - to sort through these great suggestions, I've consolidated them in categories. I've posted them at our website - under 'Wish I Had Known' - where you can access them as well. There is nothing for sale at our site; it's designed to share ideas for our family and friends. Thanks to all of your for sharing these wonderful ideas.

Wow...great website! Thanks for sharing.

I have been going thru all kinds of info pages. I have read that some people take a case of there favorite soda with them in there carryon. Can u do this on the Conquest? I love Diet Coke and I hear that all they have onboard is Pepsi products.