"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

All these tips are great! We're about to book a 4-night western out of Miami on Carnival for our honeymoon in June! I've been on the Disney Wonder once, but hubby-to-be has never been on a cruise. On that cruise, I honestly had no idea what we were doing and just went with the flow of the ship (literally) and took it all it. I had a FANTASTIC time and learned that yes - in the dead of winter when it's only 75 or so outside, you CAN get a wicked, wicked sunburn in the caribbean. Ex-BF learned that the hard way.

My personal tip.. I didn't bring any actual shoes! The guys can't really do this, but the only shoes I packed were flip-flops and a dressy pair of sandals for the "formal" night. It was 70-80 the whole trip - who needs shoes?

(Though, I live in flip-flops when I've not working, so I don't recommend this for those who are prone to blisters or that never wear sandals.)

I wish I'd known then . . .

1. To book early and check for price drops often. This gets you the best choice of rooms (and all rooms, even within the same category, aren't equal -- some locations are better than others, some offer a better balcony for the same price).

2. To pack lightly. No one (except you) cares what you're wearing during the day; it makes living in a small room easier, and it makes self-disembarkation possible. There are always a couple threads on this board about lost luggage/valuables -- being able to manage it yourself is a worthwhile goal. Do pack plenty of swim suits and cover ups -- you'll spend more time wearing those than anything else.

3. To avoid ship's excursions. They're over-priced and over-sized. You can get much better quality for a bargain price -- and don't believe the "you'll be left behind on an island" scare tactic". You can read a wristwatch, right?

4. To feel that you don't have to do it all. You can have a great time onboard without spending extra, without attending events, etc. Do as much (or as little) as you wish.

5. To pack all the small necessities you're likely to need. A bottle of Neosporin or asprin onboard will probably run you $10. A disposable waterproof camera will be close to $20. Don't over-pack junk that you're not going to need (I've never yet found a use for an extension cord or duct tape), but do pack realistically for all the small things you're likely to need.

6. To buy travel insurance. Don't go through the cruise line -- you can buy it less expensively elsewhere -- but do buy it. Having been forced to cancel a cruise only days beforehand, I can promise you that I cried enough WITHOUT losing the money I'd paid for the tickets.

7. To arrive in the port city (or within an hour's drive) the night before the cruise embarks. This is the cheapest insurance you can get. Even for those of us who are close enough to drive to our ports, so many things could set us back a couple hours and prevent us from meeting our ship. This is absolutely a set-in-stone gotta-do-it rule. If, for some reason, I couldn't get to my port a day ahead, I'd choose a different cruise at a different time.

8. To eat lightly onboard. The first time I cruised, I was a little surprised at the small portions they served in the dining room . . . but I quickly realized that I wasn't used to eating an appetizer . . . and a salad . . . or a soup . . . and bread . . . and an entree . . . and at that first meal, I was simply too stuffed to eat dessert. What a tragedy! Now I choose EITHER an appetizer OR a soup OR a salad . . . and an entree . . . and the dessert. I skip the bread entirely, judging it to be nothing I can't get at home. I can't manage it all -- or, at least, I can't manage it all comfortably.

9. To discuss your expectations ahead of time with your traveling companions, especially if those companions are children. Be sure that everyone else is on the same page as far as spending, sleeping in vs. seeing the sunset, shore excursions, etc. It's better to hash these things out ahead of time rather than to assume that everyone has the same plans you do.

10. To mail a package to myself at the first-night hotel, a package containing all my toiletries. It completely eliminates the problem of flying with liquids. Last summer I picked up a $14 pre-paid mailer (stuff as much as you want into that package) that held my family of four's toiletries for three weeks. (It was packed tightly, but it had everything from shaving cream to sunscreen.) I called a couple days ahead and verified that it was waiting for us at our first night hotel. So much easier than bothering with the 3-ounces and ziplocks. This plan also allowed my husband to have his pocket knife.

Edited by MrsPete

I found the Let's learn from our mistakes thread in Cruise Questions very helpful as well. I would add..know your cruise line. I was on a Windstar previously and it was a different experience than some of the other cruisers describe (I didn't see a tux once, the food was fantastic). Every different line offers a different experience. Lines offer customer loyalty discounts to returning cruisers so pick your cruise line with a view of what you may want to do in the future, not which just one is going to save you fifty dollars now.

I wish I'd known then . . .

5. To pack all the small necessities you're likely to need. A bottle of Neosporin or asprin onboard will probably run you $10. A disposable waterproof camera will be close to $20. Don't over-pack junk that you're not going to need (I've never yet found a use for an extension cord or duct tape), but do pack realistically for all the small things you're likely to need.

I've used an extension cord: my sister is a late sleeper, while I'm usually up at the crack of dawn. I can use my hair dryer in the bathroom (which has no outlet for it) by plugging it in at the desk and running the cord into the bathroom and closing the door, and not disturb her.

Shhhhh.... this is my second 5 things I wish I had known. But don't tell anyone. This is such a great thread I keep coming back to it.

1. Remember YOU are unique. Take all advice with a salt shaker of salt.

2. All cruise lines are different. If you see something mentioned that's important to you, go to the message board for YOUR cruise line here on CruiseCritic and ask the folks who travel on that particular line. As emphatic as people may sound that "The cruise line WILL do X" if it's important to you ask.

If the cruise board doesn't have the answer, call your travel agent or the cruise line itself. They do want you to be happy and know their policies in advance.

3. Although it feels like a lot of planning and it's really confusing before your first cruise, you're trading planning in the comfort of your home with worry and nuisance on your vacation. Once you're on board all of the worry goes away.

4. Ask questions when you're on board, and don't suffer in silence. Want a different table for dinner - ask. Not sure why everyone is heading to a specific lounge - ask. Need an extra blanket - ask. But do so nicely.

5. And someone else said this but it is worth repeating. I wish I could find the post so I could give appropriate attribution - Suck the marrow out of the cruise. Do something you've never done. Be self indulgent. Talk to strangers. Eat dinner on your balcony. Don't go home thinking "I wish I had done X" Do it.

1. Don't be self-conscious about your appearance in a bathing suit, shorts etc. There will be all body types aboard in all types of attire.

2. Don't spend a lot of money on new clothes. Bring only things that you love and feel good in.

3. Plan your outfits with versatility, multi-use, and easy care in mind. And when it comes to shoes (especially for daytime), comfort trumps style.

4. You don't need to pack beach towels - they are provided.

5. Save all your change during the months/weeks prior to the trip

- trade it in for $1 bills just before you leave to use for extra tips and incidental spendng. I had over $150 last cruise from doing this.

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom I am so self conscious it beggars belief!

Marcella

Sorry if I duplicate but I just don't have time to read this whole thread; I got on to buy Trip Insurance and, as usual, stopped by CC.

CHECK OUT every inch of the ship the FIRST DAY ..................it's pretty sad to discover something wonderful on that next to the last day.:cool:

Take a couple of empty water bottles. You can fill them at the buffet before you get off in various ports and toss them into recycle before you disembark AND, that leaves room in your suitcase for some souvenirs!:D

DECIDE before you leave that you will have one FANTASTIC :D time and you will; AVOID negative people. Just get up and move if someone's trying to pop your bubble.;)

I have begun to use a lightweight backpack rather than a duffle or handbag for my second carry-on and then I use it when I go ashore. There's a place for my water bottle, for a snack bar if I so choose, I can stick my travel purse in there plus a windbreaker AND, if I buy "stuff" I can stick it in there as well.;)

I take two pieces of that "no slide" shelf stuff and put a small travel clock ON each..................one on the bedside table and one in the bathroom. Then, when I get up at night I know what time it is! The clocks never slide off the shelf/table. They are 99 cents at IKEA or a dollar store and just take one AA battery.

........and, some duct tape, for sure................you never know what's going to happen to your suitcase zipper on that airplane or on the ship.

ENJOY!!! When you get home you will want to get online right away and find another cruise bargain................immediately.

I don't think this has been asked yet.....

We will be leaving our 5 year old at home for our first cruise (Carnival) and are worried if something happens to her we won't be reachable. We will have our Iphones on airplane mode and check them a few times a day for messages just in case there is an emergency. We use AT&T and will be going to Cozumel and back. So the question is does anyone know if the cruise ships have emergency contact info for people to call if something happens, or is there a type of prepaid phone we could bring that would work in Cozumel and on the waters?

I hope that made sense!

Thanks!!:D

We've always been given emergency numbers for ships in our Information packet.

Our prepaid cells work everywhere (even in the middle of the Atlantic on a TA cruise) and in Canada......but...........not so well in Mexico. I go into one of those "phone buildings" and call home and then have THEM call me back. My 'phone receives in Mexico but can't call out. The call from the call center costs less than fifty cents.

Think about "what if":

What if my luggage never arrives and I am left with only my carryon? Take 1 bathing suit, one formal outfit+shoes, a couple of daytime outfits (suitable to wear to dinner, too) and one pair of your shoes. Also your makeup that is not liquid. Then, if your luggage is lost or late, you will have enough to get by.

Another thing:

Consider taking half the clothes and taking the new Purex 3-in-1 strips. They are detergent, fabric softener and dryer sheet in one sheet and will pack so flat it's like they aren't there (a few in a zip lock bag). Then you are ready to take your quarters and run a quick load in the washers/dryers on board ($3 for each washer/dryer).

Be aware that not all ships have washer/dryers for passenger use. For example NCL no longer provides them on any of their ships.

We take clothes that are durable enough to be sent to the ship's laundry which uses hot water and hot dryers.

1) Your cruise starts LONG before you get to the dock. Read these boards. It's addictive yes, and you might not agree with all of the information on it, but there is a lot of good useful information on this site.

2) Bring a small "gift" for your cabin steward from your hometown. I bring a t-shirt from our local area, but any souvenir will do. I wrap it in cellophane and add some candy and then put a note on the outside with a quick hello message (basic info about who we are and how excited we are about this cruise). I carry it on board, and put it on the top of the bed as soon as we board.

3) Call room service each day, and ask them to deliver a pitcher of ice water with lemon. It is nice to have that pitcher in your fridge when you get back from your day's activities (don't forget to tip the room service person)

Which brings me to 4) bring small pre-made cello envelopes with a $2.00 tip (and again I add candy and a small pre-printed thank you) for room service. Our travel friends used to "make fun of me" for my creative tip envelopes, but when room service showed up when we were in the fjords with a second pot of hot coffee after we had been outside in the freezing cold for an hour (without being called) everyone agreed it was because I gave that "goofy" tip.

5) Suck the marrow out of the cruise. Go and do the things that might be a little out of your "interest zone", talk to people that talk to you, try foods that you might not necessarily order at home. And most important....leave all of your troubles at the dock. Turn your phone off, do not pick up email (unless it's for business) and have the BEST TIME!!!

Great ideas! I am definitely going to bring the room steward a small gift from our area, Lake Tahoe. Just a great way to start your week with the person who is cleaning your room and taking care of the little things for you. We will be on the Oasis in April and this well be our 12th cruise in all... still love to read these tips! I am going to make my list of five to add... if there is something left after all of these great suggestions!! :D

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom I am so self conscious it beggars belief!

Marcella

I always bring a comfortable, ie loose, and cute outfit for the flight home. It's depressing enough to have to leave your fabulous ship behind, :( but even worse to try and squeeze into some uncomfortable clothes for the trip home. :p

I disagree. I've had family formal portraits taken at Department stores and OlMi and always spent $200 plus some, whether I liked them all or not. At about $22 a pop, and never buying the ones you don't like, I think they are a bargain. I usually decide I have enough and won't buy, but get them taken everywhere. Then I usually find one that I like enough to buy--it's just over the price of a bingo card! Have them taken everywhere. Only buy the one(s) you want. Remember when you are 80 you will wish you had a picture of the younger, better looking you at THIS age.

Carnival sells frames that match, but any craft store sells matte. I've never had a problem with that.

On my parents 50 th anniversary cruise I bought most of the photos of my parents together as they really didnt have any formal pics, and of I with my parents not knowing at the time time that Dad would pass away less than a year later.

I am so thankful for those photos.

Gasp. Is this true? I can't afford the cruise freezing 1k of my credit.. :eek:

<-- the poor graduate student.

This is off the Holland america web site

Our cashless society is designed to make your life on board as simple as possible. When you board the ship, your account has already been activated and you may make purchases by simply showing your guest identification card and signing a receipt. On embarkation day, you will need to register your credit or debit card (Holland America Line Rewards™ Visa®, Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®, Discover®) in order to use your onboard account for shipboard purchases. Your card will be pre-authorized for US$60 per person for each day for cruises up to 25days and US$30 per person per day for cruises longer than 25 days. At the end of your cruise, you will receive a final statement, and your card will be charged only for the actual amount of your purchases. Please inform your credit or debit card issuer in advance that your card will be used on a Holland America Line ship. This will help prevent delays in obtaining pre-authorization on board. Some banks may keep the pre-authorization in place for up to 30 days. If you do not want to use a credit or debit card, the ship will collect a cash deposit from you at time of boarding in the same pre-authorization amount. Any excess deposit will be refunded to you at the end of the cruise. Travelers checks may be cashed at the front office to make your deposit. Personal checks are not accepted on board.

I've already spent so much time reading these boards and I have 70 days left... I already can't wait to get on the ship. I know we are going to have a blast on our honeymoon cruise. Thank you all for the great information!

• 3 weeks later...
This is off the Holland america web site

Our cashless society is designed to make your life on board as simple as possible. When you board the ship, your account has already been activated and you may make purchases by simply showing your guest identification card and signing a receipt. On embarkation day, you will need to register your credit or debit card (Holland America Line Rewards™ Visa®, Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®, Discover®) in order to use your onboard account for shipboard purchases. Your card will be pre-authorized for US$60 per person for each day for cruises up to 25days and US$30 per person per day for cruises longer than 25 days. At the end of your cruise, you will receive a final statement, and your card will be charged only for the actual amount of your purchases. Please inform your credit or debit card issuer in advance that your card will be used on a Holland America Line ship. This will help prevent delays in obtaining pre-authorization on board. Some banks may keep the pre-authorization in place for up to 30 days. If you do not want to use a credit or debit card, the ship will collect a cash deposit from you at time of boarding in the same pre-authorization amount. Any excess deposit will be refunded to you at the end of the cruise. Travelers checks may be cashed at the front office to make your deposit. Personal checks are not accepted on board.

Yes, this is true. I just finished our online check-in the other day for our May Alaska cruise and when I registered the credit card I'd be using I also agreed to the $840 hold (14 days X $60 per day) that would go into effect upon boarding. Then when I did online checkin for my husband and added him to the credit card the hold became $1680 for both of us and I agreed to that. It is clearly spelled out when you do online checkin and register a credit card for your shipboard charges. You could choose the option that you'll be doing cash instead, then when you board give the purser a cash amount. When that's spent either add more or quit spending.

That is a 'hold', not a charge, and doesn't go into effect until embarkation. The only charges wil be what we actually charge to our shipboard account when we are on board.

We pay our credit card balance in full every month and our credit card has a high enough limit that freezing $1680 of it while we're cruising is no problem. I think the only people who have problems with the amount temporarily frozen by Hal are people who don't have a very high credit limit.

I have never notified our bank that I'll be cruising nor have I ever notified them when we're out of the country. I've never had a problem.

[My only bank problems have been totally unrelated to travels, just to some internet sites hacked].

i belong to a virgin islands message board where i have seen many posts regarding credit cards not being accepted when a quick call beforehand could have avoided the confusion and,sometimes, disappointment. i've started doing that for 2 cards when i travel out of the country and both companies mention they wish more customers knew to do this. can't hurt! i also remember a post here where a cruiser used her debit card and couldn't get the funds released until some time after she returned home causing her many problems with her bills. the concensus was to not use a debit card for cruising. :cool:

This is definitely not a need to do but ever since our first cruise it has been the standard. When shopping for cards throughout the year we will pick up one here and there... (Thankyou cards) And bring them on our cruise. If we feel like handing out an extra tip here or there we put it in the card with a few words. :)

I was concerned about this because I do not have a high limit on my credit card. I asked my travel agent how much Carnival would authorize on my card when I boarded and she told me it would be $500. My cruise is a 5 day cruise. Is she mistaken or could that be accurate? My limit is $1000, and I don't mind if the whole limit is consumed as we have cash for spending money. But I don't want my card to be declined due to not enough funds for authorization - I have no other option. What do you think?

The amount they reserve is called "Booking". It is done once for the $200. They do not automatically "book" an additional $200 each day. Only if you've charged $200. So think of it as them holding an extra $200 in reserve. I'm not sure at what amount they will "Book" an extra $200, but if you charge less than $200, your Credit Card will not get hit for more than $400.