Nordstroms - Why Aren't They In My State?

SPARKLE10

Hi:

I am so frustrated with Nordstroms. I love that store, but I have to travel out of state to shop there. I looked on their web page and there are 3 dresses I want to get for my cruises this December and next January; but I just don't trust myself ordering online. I know a lot of people do it, but I have a problem with sizes. My dress size is 14, but I always need a bigger size on top. I looked at their locations and they're in every state around me and several locations in most states. I just don't understand why they can't even put one in Iowa. I've shopped in the Mall of America, but that's just too far to drive to shop.

I wish they would put one in Des Moines (where I live) but the new stores seem to be going in all of the other states. We have a Dillards and Younkers and Von Maur; but I like Nordstroms a lot better. I guess they think Iowans don't have a need for their stores. If someone would just come and visit, I think they would see a whole different side of Iowa than what everyone pictures as being here.

Just needed to vent....thanks,.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10 (Anita)

Hi:

I am so frustrated with Nordstroms. I love that store, but I have to travel out of state to shop there. I looked on their web page and there are 3 dresses I want to get for my cruises this December and next January; but I just don't trust myself ordering online. I know a lot of people do it, but I have a problem with sizes. My dress size is 14, but I always need a bigger size on top. I looked at their locations and they're in every state around me and several locations in most states. I just don't understand why they can't even put one in Iowa. I've shopped in the Mall of America, but that's just too far to drive to shop.

I wish they would put one in Des Moines (where I live) but the new stores seem to be going in all of the other states. We have a Dillards and Younkers and Von Maur; but I like Nordstroms a lot better. I guess they think Iowans don't have a need for their stores. If someone would just come and visit, I think they would see a whole different side of Iowa than what everyone pictures as being here.

Just needed to vent....thanks,.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10 (Anita)

I have the same issues with buying dresses. As you know, they have a great return policy, so it might be worth it to go ahead and order online. I think they have their dresses organized by fit.

Anita,

There's a long list of requirements before a store decides to open/build a new location. For companies like Nordstrom's they primarily look at the demographics of an area ---- so average age, average income, number of families with a high income, stores currently supported, population base, cost of building/locating, etc., etc. Nordstrom's, like other high-end department stores, has been hurt by the recession, so they're less likely to go out and build these days.

I recall reading that Costco needed a population base of something like 500,000 before they'd consider a new location, and that's a company that offers staples. For a company like Nordstrom's I would venture a guess that they're looking for over a million in population with a large segment that has household incomes over $100k. It's really a science!

I know that doesn't help you in finding what you want and I understand the rant. Nordstrom's is about an hour from us, in Orlando, and I just ordered shoes from them yesterday. It's expensive to always pay shipping!

Perhaps you just need to plan a shopping extravaganza to Michigan Ave in Chicago and you can get your Nordstroms, Lord & Taylor, Saks and Bloomies fix all at once! :D

unlike most retailers, Nordstroms posts the size charts from the actual manufacturer on their website. If you know your measurements, I find them to be relatively accurate and you can adjust from there if the cut is more narrow or flowy. I just ordered 2 dresses 1 based on size chart and the other 1 I sized down because the cut was very flowy and it worked.

Plus their customer service is great and they include a return label for painless returns. Their selection is so much better, I think it's worth the risk.

I HAVE a Nordstroms and I still shop online with them because the selection is better for a lot of items.

If you feel like you are between 2 sizes, order both and see which fits you better. You can pay for shipping both and returning one probably cheaper than the gas and time it takes to drive to your closest store.

Keep in mind that a little tailoring can work wonders. I have issues with my proportions being out of kilter, and a few dollars well spent with a good tailor can transform an ill-fitting dress into one that looks like a million bucks.

I'm within close proximity of 5 Nordstrom stores plus a couple of Nordstrom Rack stores and I still sometimes order online. The good part is, if I don't like something, I can easily take it back without having to bother with shipping and I work in the mall a couple evenings a week, I just go there on my break.

I prefer Nordstrom over Macy's because of quality, style and more important, customer service.

Sometimes they do have free shipping specials, sign up to be on their email list for alerts.

If you don't know what size you are, order what you think you are, below what you think, and above b/c if your order is more than $200 the shipping is usually free. Or, go to a store that carries the brand that you are looking for and try on the garment and then order it.

And if all else fails, the shipping at Nordie's is usually never more than $8.

Probably didn't help you much with your size:D

Archived