Liberty of the Seas - Sleeping arrangements in adjoining cabins

DawnK77

Hello,

We're travelling as a group of 6 in January on LOS, my husband & 2 children and my parents. We're booked into adjoining cabins 6536 and 6538. The travel agent suggested booking as triples instead of one quad occupancy and one double to save on cost, but I'm worried about the sleeping arrangements.

The deck plans say there's a pullman in both rooms. However, the travel agent checked with cruise line and says there are only pull out sofas. I suppose my kids could sleep together on the sofa, but I'd much rather them have their own beds (they're a boy & girl, 4 & 7).

Plus, where is the adjoining door? I've noticed it's usually between the bed and couch, making the couch even narrower. I'm not sure the kids will be comfortable for 7 days, sleeping that way. Of course my parents offered to take one of them for a few nights but that'll only help once or twice. Anyone have any idea what to expect from these rooms?

Thanks!

Your staterooms are adjoining E1 Balcony cabins. The legend indicates one Pullman bed available and the E cabins typically just have a love seat...not a full length sofa. That means that the other kiddo will need to sleep in the pullman next door. There is really not enough room to put a rollaway in those E cabins without totally blocking the access to the bathroom.

Your TA was correct that the triple occupancy arrangement saves you money. So now you have to see if your parents will be OK with one child sleeping with them during the cruise.

Wow, I'm confused! The RCL deck plans show both rooms having pullmans, but the TA is saying there are only pull out sofas (in both rooms). Now you're saying there's one room with a pullman and both rooms have loveseats, however the loveseat in the room with the pullman doesn't open meaning the kids would have to sleep in separate rooms? Am I understanding that correctly?

I am not understanding if you intended both children to sleep in your cabin or with grandparents???

If each cabin sleeps 3, then the kids will have to be in separate rooms, right?

Why not put one child in each room on the sofa bed?

I would believe the website. It clearly shows 1 pullman in each room. The only E1 (your cabin level) cabins on this deck that are shown as having a sofa bed are four cabins on the hump area. (6630 and 6360 or 6648 and 6348)

Here's a copy of the deck plan.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=06&shipCode=LB&shipProfile=1225&sailDate=1091108&hasNavigation=false

I don't think you could book four people into either of the two cabins you currently have booked. If I were you, I would call the cruise line and verify this. I just don't think your agent is giving you the right info here.

Given that these cabins are adjoining, you can let both of your children sleep in the same cabin with you. You should be able to make a bed either on the loveseat or from the cushions for one of your little ones. Mine would have camped out anywhere at those ages.

Hopefully, someone who has been in adjoining E1 cabins will post and let you know for sure what the arrangements are.

I am not understanding if you intended both children to sleep in your cabin or with grandparents???

If each cabin sleeps 3, then the kids will have to be in separate rooms, right?

Why not put one child in each room on the sofa bed?

The TA knew there was a family of 4 and 1 couple. She suggested booking as 2 groups of 3 in those cabins to save $ (you don't have to pay for the 4th person).

My parents are the ones that chose the rooms and have offered to take one of the kids in their room, but I'm not sure how practical that idea is for entire 7 nights. We all thought both rooms had sofa beds and pullmans which would mean the kids would both be either in our room or my parents room together. The idea being my parents could take the kids one or two night so hubby and I could have some privacy and vice versa. We didn't really expect to separate the kids every night. I thought the TA understood that.

vickiw0318 - Thank you. I've contacted the cruise line for specific details about each of the rooms. We could definitely make do, but the adjoining door really isn't a big deal to me. I'd rather have proper sleeping arrangements. So depending on what RCL says, we'll still have time to switch to regular balcony cabins (with just adjoining balconies) if need be.

The TA knew there was a family of 4 and 1 couple. She suggested booking as 2 groups of 3 in those cabins to save $ (you don't have to pay for the 4th person).

My parents are the ones that chose the rooms and have offered to take one of the kids in their room, but I'm not sure how practical that idea is for entire 7 nights. We all thought both rooms had sofa beds and pullmans which would mean the kids would both be either in our room or my parents room together. The idea being my parents could take the kids one or two night so hubby and I could have some privacy and vice versa. We didn't really expect to separate the kids every night. I thought the TA understood that.

vickiw0318 - Thank you. I've contacted the cruise line for specific details about each of the rooms. We could definitely make do, but the adjoining door really isn't a big deal to me. I'd rather have proper sleeping arrangements. So depending on what RCL says, we'll still have time to switch to regular balcony cabins (with just adjoining balconies) if need be.

I've never heard of a cruise where you would save money by doing 3+3 over 4+2, all of them I've seen just list 3rd/4th person rates. When are you sailing?

Mark is correct. There is no money saving by separating the group. I am not sure what your TA is telling you about a free 4th passenger. All passengers have to pay. The 1st and 2nd passengers pay the same amount, and then the 3rd and/or 4th passengers (in the same stateroom) pay a lesser amount. So, it would not make a difference if the children were all booked with you, or if one child were booked with the grandparents. The reason your TA has booked you as triples, is because she knows that each of those staterooms will only "legally" hold 3 passengers each!

Either you have one child sleep in each stateroom (I am not sure I would want my 4 year old on a bunk), or get a larger stateroom. All regular E's have a loveseat (no sofas) in the staterooms . For adjoining staterooms, they have a chair, so your other child will not be able to sleep on a love seat.

Below are photos of our "regular" E stateroom - with a loveseat - on the Liberty. The brochure key says sofa bed, but's it's really a love seat. My photo angle actually makes the loveseat look larger than it really is.

Our room was extended a little near the balcony door, because we were on the edge of the hump.

LibertyoftheSeas013.jpg

LibertyoftheSeas015.jpg

LibertyoftheSeas016.jpg

LibertyoftheSeas011.jpg

LibertyoftheSeas010.jpg

Now, imagine this room with an extra door, and a chair instead of the loveseat. Hope this helps!

PS - According to the key, our loveseat is a sofabed, which is actually a conversion bed. The back folds down to make the bed.

I've never heard of a cruise where you would save money by doing 3+3 over 4+2, all of them I've seen just list 3rd/4th person rates. When are you sailing?

RCI has been running specials on the Freedom Class ships where indeed it is cheaper to book three or 4 to a cabin than even two. I can tell you that I just booked a JS for $799 first two and $250 for the third person. If I booked just two it was $1359 PP. These rates were also good for D's and E's on some sailings. Those rates were running all last week but have slowly disappeared. That is why the TA did it as she did.

The particular room(s) the OP listed only show a third pullman bed...not a sofa bed. It may be a sofa bed but is not indicated.

I see, thanks for the explanation. :)

How long, when is your cruise for those prices? :eek: Doesn't make sense on RCCL part, and doesn't seem fair to those cruisers that wish to just book double occupancy, to have to pay so much more.:rolleyes:

Another way to get more people on the ship. The more bodies on the ship the more on board $$ they get. Fair, not really, but in the long run probably more $$ in RCLs pocket.

I see, thanks for the explanation. :)

How long, when is your cruise for those prices? :eek: Doesn't make sense on RCCL part, and doesn't seem fair to those cruisers that wish to just book double occupancy, to have to pay so much more.:rolleyes:

My particular cruise is a 6 dayer on Independence but those specials were running on Liberty for 7 day cruises (JS - $849 first two, $250 third/forth) as well, and I think Freedom. I just stumbled upon them by plugging in 3 people and started checking availability.

As far as fairness is concerned, what can I say. Royal Caribbean can market their cabins anyway they like. We all just need to be savvy enough to watch and research to get the best deal possible.

I dont think you need to worry about the kids sleeping arrangements. If they are like my 5 yearold, they run all day in adventure ocean, play by the pool and hot tub, eat lots of soft icecream and about 9:30 they become dead weights in your arms as you struggle to carry them back to your cabin. If you are lucky you can get them to "sleep" walk back to the cabin. When they get in the cabin you could just pile them in the corner and they wont wake up. The 7 year old can sleep on the pullman and 4 year old can sleep on the couch with out unfolding it. They could probably both sleep in the pullman if they get along. They will be dead tired every night so it will not really matter where they sleep.

Thanks for the replies. I've emailed RCCL so I'll wait to hear back. I've gotten so many different responses as to what to expect from these rooms.

I'm not sure what the deal was regarding the triple occupancy. My parents booked the cruise as a Christmas gift for us and I thought it rude to ask. I've told them that we'll pay for our own upgrade to a larger room if need be. Call me anal, but I just can't have one of my kids sleep on the floor or on the couch for 7 nights. That's a long time to be without a proper bed, IMO.

My particular cruise is a 6 dayer on Independence but those specials were running on Liberty for 7 day cruises (JS - $849 first two, $250 third/forth) as well, and I think Freedom. I just stumbled upon them by plugging in 3 people and started checking availability.

As far as fairness is concerned, what can I say. Royal Caribbean can market their cabins anyway they like. We all just need to be savvy enough to watch and research to get the best deal possible.

What are the approximate dates so I can check?

Guess you are right about fairness. We can all find deals if we search. I know that we got a deal that others didn't on our last cruise. A 7 day GS for around $1000pp. :D

4 year old can sleep on the couch with out unfolding it.
/

Maybe it is different on the Freedom class, but on the other class ships, the connecting door is where the couch goes, and a chair is substituted. perhaps the door is directly across from the bed.

One other thing about that. The door will be unlocked by your steward, but you will not be able to lock/unlock it yourself, like you do in a hotel. The door will always be unlocked. My brother and SIL learned that the hard way when they shared a connecting with their children on the Mariner. :rolleyes:

DawnK77 - Let us know what you find out. :)

What are the approximate dates so I can check?

Well, you can check all you want but I think they are gone. My cruise is January 31. I know when I was contemplating the lower fares (I really knew this was a very good deal and I needed to book it,) they were selling out within hours. I would look and find a good cabin combo(sailing with several family members) and by the time I got back to it, they would be gone. I found those fares on Liberty 2/7, and 2/21...uh..I think Independence 1/24....IOW..Freedom class ships sailing February '10.

Total fare for 3 in a JS, including port charges, taxes and insurance with Diamond balcony discount: $2084.40.

So, even though we are sailing the Oasis this December, I couldn't pass this up for January.

Deb

Thanks for the replies. I've emailed RCCL so I'll wait to hear back. I've gotten so many different responses as to what to expect from these rooms.

I'm not sure what the deal was regarding the triple occupancy. My parents booked the cruise as a Christmas gift for us and I thought it rude to ask. I've told them that we'll pay for our own upgrade to a larger room if need be. Call me anal, but I just can't have one of my kids sleep on the floor or on the couch for 7 nights. That's a long time to be without a proper bed, IMO.

Dawn.....I agree with you. A child should not have to sleep on the floor for the amount of money it is costing. Let us know how you make out.

Dawn...........on the RC website if you look at the deck plans, it clearly shows a third and fourth pullman in both cabins. I would believe this over what the travel agent said. I have been given wrong information more than once from travel agents who were not knowledgable and from customer service representatives who also were not knowledgable. I would trust the RC website to be accurate.

Dawn...........on the RC website if you look at the deck plans, it clearly shows a third and fourth pullman in both cabins. I would believe this over what the travel agent said. I have been given wrong information more than once from travel agents who were not knowledgable and from customer service representatives who also were not knowledgable. I would trust the RC website to be accurate.

NO...It only shows a THIRD pullman bed...there is a different symbol for third and forth pullman!

Sorry, but the OP does not need to be any more confused than necessary.

I hadn't heard back from RCCL about the stateroom specifics so I spoke to my mom about the whole situation on the weekend. She decided that rather than be confused and potentially disappointed when we get there, she'd just book my family into a proper quad cabin instead.

So she spoke to the TA today and was able to arrange for my family of 4 to stay in cabin 7514 instead. Practically the whole ship is booked already. It's an upgrade, but we'll gladly pay for comfort and peace of mind. Despite the better arrangements, I was a bit disappointed that we wouldn't be in adjoining cabins with my parents but I wasn't going to complain. We're only a floor up.

Well...talk about great customer service. When the TA got off the phone with my Mom she wheeled and dealed with RCCL a little more. RCCL was able to get the people in the cabin next to us (7516) to switch with my parents so we're now all together again in adjoining rooms (but with proper sized sofa beds for the kids)! Apparently those people had originally only wanted a triple cabin but none were available at the time.

I thought that went above and beyond regular customer service. My parents are platinum members so that probably played a part. Just another reason to love RCCL! :)

That's wonderful! I was wondering about you this morning and how you got things resolved. Sounds like both your TA and Royal Caribbean came through for you!

Now you don't have to worry about the kids and its one less stressor preparing for your cruise. Plus...you got a little bit bigger cabin and with four occupants...that will be very nice.

Deb

Archived