Calling All Sweet-Smelling Ladies! What is Your Signature Fragrance?

TerriSea

When I was really young I wore a cheap drugstore cologne called Heaven Scent and was always complimented on it. I wore it for years. When I began to look for a more "grown up" scent I had a terrible time. I turned out to be allergic to several, and as others have noted, they all turn diffferent on different bodies. I finally found Chloe and have been wearing it for years. I get compliments all the time from all kinds of people. It just works for me. Not too heavy, not too light. When I would go on a cruise I would treat myself to the matching body lotion. I love the way it stays with you when you layer the scent.

My dad always told us girls that we should get one scent and stay with it. People would identify it with us. It's true. Chloe has become me. I'm terribly upset to hear that it is not readily available anymore. After 30+ years I would hate to have to start hunting all over again.

I've never purchased my own fragrance. My husband is excellent at picking out what smells right for me. I'm a little bummed to read that Angel is so recognizeable. I like to wear things that are not in the mainstream, and I got a bottle for Christmas. I do like it though, and will wear it as my summer fragrance.

I still have a bottle of Samsara, and any time I try to wear it, my cat (who loves me to pieces and wants nothing more than hugs, hugs, and more hugs) snubs me. :rolleyes: It makes me sad when I'm snubbed by my boy...:(

My winter fragrance hasn't been listed here at all, so at least I have one of my very own!

BC

I've been using Tommy Girl for about 10-12 years, I love it because it's light and clean, I wear it mostly in the summer or warmer months.

I also fell in love with Vera Wang Princess and have been using that for about 2 yrs (or whenever it came out a while back). It's also a light scent, but very sweet! This has become my Fall/Winter scent, LOVE it!

I just received Marc Jacobs Daisy for my birthday about 2 weeks ago, I'm still deciding if I like it, I'm thinking it may be a little strong for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for really light scents that are either clean or sweet smelling?

I wore Tabu for years and still do sometimes. I always and I mean always get great compliments every time I wear it. Men seem to particularly like it.:D For evenings and special ocassions my DH buys me Paloma Picasso and Juicy Couture, both of which get me lovely complements also.:D My girlfriend says I must have a great body chemistry for perfume, because she's never been out with someone who gets as many compliments on their fragrance as I do.:D:D That was a very sweet thing to hear.:D

I recently got a big box of samples as a gift with purchase at macy's. In it was a sample of Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue. I fell in love with it, and asked my husband for a bottle for Christmas. Well, I have it now, and the bottle smells NOTHING like the sample did. It has a very very very very strong cedarwood component that overpowers all the other subtle components. I really don't like it now, and I want what was in that little sample bottle.

I recently got a big box of samples as a gift with purchase at macy's. In it was a sample of Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue. I fell in love with it, and asked my husband for a bottle for Christmas. Well, I have it now, and the bottle smells NOTHING like the sample did. It has a very very very very strong cedarwood component that overpowers all the other subtle components. I really don't like it now, and I want what was in that little sample bottle.

Hmm. I bought a bottle on a cruise and another at Macy's and they smell the same. We (DH and I ) think that it has a citrusy tone. Everyone knows what it is when I wear it and they get really close, like hugging me.

Hmm. I bought a bottle on a cruise and another at Macy's and they smell the same. We (DH and I ) think that it has a citrusy tone. Everyone knows what it is when I wear it and they get really close, like hugging me.

I'm convinced that mine is adultered. DH got it from Amazon. I went to Sephora the other day and smelled the one they had on display, and it is the sweet citrusy smell from that sample bottle.

I'm convinced that mine is adultered. DH got it from Amazon. I went to Sephora the other day and smelled the one they had on display, and it is the sweet citrusy smell from that sample bottle.

That's possible since Amazon doesn't only sell their own stock. My DH loves citrus so Light Blue is his favorite by far. I plan on checking out some more scents on our upcoming cruise.

Coco Chanel, Sensual Amber by Bath and Bodyworks, Pink Sugar and everything by Blvgari....love their Green tea, Blvgari Jasmine, Blvgari Femme, Jasmine Noir and Ominia scents....wish they would last longer, even with layering them they are gone quickly.

Those are the ones in my perfume rack right now.

I used to get a different perfume with each trip we go on so that when I smell the scent, it reminds me of that particular trip. Well, years have come and gone and perfume fashion have waxed and waned but I find myself just drawn to the same 2 scents--PARIS by Yves St Laurent for Fall/Winter and CRISTALLE by Chanel for warm weather.

My two favorites are Chanel No. 5 for the cold months, and Burberry Brit for warm weather. I stay away from fruit tones because they tend to attract bugs when I'm in the country. (I mean the flying kind, not the two-legged pests.)

First let me answer the question as to my signature fragrance(s). My two main fragrances are Aquolina Pink Sugar and Narciso Rodriguez. If the Narciso Rodriguez has an actual name, I can't recall but it comes in a pink bottle with black writing OR a black bottle with pink writing. I love the scent. I also like Victoria's Secret Heavenly from the Angels collection.

My mother LOVES Dolce & Gabbana light blue.

IF you have a hard time finding fragrances you like, I believe Sephora AND Ulta both have fragrance minis and/or samples. I really love getting my samples with my purchases. I need to make a quick purchase today anyhow. Need some samples for my upcoming cruise.

I tend to go with the lighter, non-expensive brands for everyday wear. Moonlight Path from Bath and Body had been my favorite everyday scent since college until I recently smelled BBW's Optimism-Bright Blossoms. I LOVE citrus scents and this was a fantastic one! Every once in a while, BBW will introduce a good one, but it is inevitably discontinued. So you can imagine what happend with Bright Blossoms, right??? DISCONTINUED! However, I was at a BBW outlet last weekend where Bright Blossoms was still in stock and had been marked down 75%! Needless to say, I bought about 10 bottles each of the shower gel, lotion and body spray:) My sister says my dresser looks like an apothecary now!!

For my serious perfumes, I tend to wear either Fresh's Lemon Sugar or Elixir of Love which I picked up from Caswell-Massey in Palm Beach last year. Elixir has a more romantic, floral smell, which is not usually something I'm into, but I love it! It is supposedly based on a Victorian-era formula and includes notes of lavender, jasmine, egyptian musk and passionflower.

I would contact Dolve & Gabbana perfumes and tell them what happened.

I would also write to Amazon and ask for a refune and return the bottle to them. Personally, I would only trust buying perfume online from a vendor that sells a lot of perfume, such as Sephora or a dept store.

I tend to go with the lighter, non-expensive brands for everyday wear. Moonlight Path from Bath and Body had been my favorite everyday scent since college until I recently smelled BBW's Optimism-Bright Blossoms. I LOVE citrus scents and this was a fantastic one! Every once in a while, BBW will introduce a good one, but it is inevitably discontinued. So you can imagine what happend with Bright Blossoms, right??? DISCONTINUED! However, I was at a BBW outlet last weekend where Bright Blossoms was still in stock and had been marked down 75%! Needless to say, I bought about 10 bottles each of the shower gel, lotion and body spray:) My sister says my dresser looks like an apothecary now!!

For my serious perfumes, I tend to wear either Fresh's Lemon Sugar or Elixir of Love which I picked up from Caswell-Massey in Palm Beach last year. Elixir has a more romantic, floral smell, which is not usually something I'm into, but I love it! It is supposedly based on a Victorian-era formula and includes notes of lavender, jasmine, egyptian musk and passionflower.

I'm curious that you say you wear inexpensive BBW eau de Toilette for everyday, but Fresh's eau de Perfume for "serious" perfume.

I happen to write about fragrance (and beauty) professionally, so I'm very curious as to what your thinking process is.

I looked at the scents you wear and BBW sells an eau de Toilette in a 2.5 oz bottle for $29.50. Fresh sells an eau de Parfum in a 3.4 oz bottle for $75. Which means that the Fresh is approx $25. an oz for parfume, and BBW is about $15. an oz for toilette water.

Since parfume lasts longer than toilette water, the Fresh is a better value than the BBW. (it also has higher quality ingredients, but that's another issue! lol!) So I'm curious as to why you save the Fresh for "serious" wearing and won't wear it on a daily basis, since a bottle of perfume generally lasts a long time and you already own it?

Do you feel is expensive perfume shouldn't be worn on a daily basis? Is the Fresh too expensive per wearing?

I'm just so curious to the thought process. You buy a $75. bottle but then don't wear it often and then buy a cheap fragrance to wear often instead.

I find this an interesting concept because it's so different than my own. While I can't buy every perfume I love, I wear what I own which are costly, and wouldn't think to buy something cheap for everyday and save the ones I really love for "serious" occasions. For me, it would take the joy out of it because I'm such a fragrance lover.

I may be the only one, but I love, love, love men's cologne. I wish there was something similar in ladies fragrances. Whenever I try new scents, I am never very happy because I wish they smelled more like the guys kinds. I know, I'm weird

You're not weird, and true fragrance professionals and indie perfumers don't designate scents for men and women. Every scent is for anyone who wants to wear it.

That said, many people have a preference between masculine (woody, cedar, leathery) or feminine (floral, sweet) but in better perfumes, they don't define by men and women as much. It's more of an American marketing concept to drive sales.

Look for scents by Neil Morris or Tom Ford. (Ford is sold in the dept stores and Sephora) I wear Tom Ford's Black Orchid which is for women, however, I know a lot of men who wear it, and many people feel it's quite masculine. I weat Neil's Takashimaya.

http://www.neilmorrisfragrances.com/

Look for Calamity J by Juliette has a Gun, which he defines as a "masculine scent for women". Personally, it's not my fave (I wear his Citizen Queen) because I prefer more feminine scents, but you might really like it. I know many men and women who wear it.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/category.asp?categoryid=401&section=1

Also, the big trend in fragrance now is Oud, which is quite masculine and in both women's and men's scents. Go to a good fragrance counter and ask to try the new Oud's. Many are doing them. By Kilian has two new ones, Pure Oud and Rose Oud, I personally prefer the rose. (however, his perfume is very expensive)

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/category.asp?categoryid=425&section=1

Next week I'm going to a fragrance trend seminar only open to professionals in the fragrance biz. (they're allowing me in as a passionate journalist) and I'll find out the trends for 2011 and 2012. I can't wait!

But my favorite, which I've been wearing since it came out in the 70's, is Halston. Now I can only buy it on the internet or at Ross as it is very 'inexpensive.' :-) Anyway, my kids always smelled of it when they were small from my holding them. And when I recently spilled some in my suitcase while on a cruise I realized that I do still love the scent.

Apparently it is a chypre fragrance - not sure if I will like other perfumes of this type or not. I'm tempted to smell Lovely as it is also this type of scent.

Jane110, do people tend to prefer a certain type of perfume or go all over the board for their signature scents (i.e. change from a woodsy scent to an oriental one)? Just wondering...

Tina

Archived