What Happened to American Hot Dogs?

Harry1954

Recently we completed another HAL cruise where the only hot dogs available at the grill were TURKEY dogs. While I know these are suppose ot be nutritious etc., the old fashioned Beef frankfurters ... read American Hot Dogs ... were not available, period.

Is this happening HAL-wide? Does anyone know? The last three cruises comprising two different HAL ships suffered from this phenomenon.

I for one don't care one lick for the nanny state and prefer to make my own decisions on what I consider healthy for me. Having both varieties is ok, but to advertise hot dogs as a main staple at the grill but not have real hot dogs is in poor taste IMHO.

harry

Being from New York City, I'd say that I have a masters degree in Hot Dogs. :)

I've only sailed on Royal Caribbean, and their Hot Dogs are from a 3rd world nation. LOL

But in all honesty, Hot Dogs are the last thing I crave when I am on a cruise.

Bring a package of your favorite brand with you..............hahahahaha

Interesting, I typically start all my cruises with a Hot Dog and stroll around the Lido (I have no idea why, I just do). I have never had a turkey dog on HAL. I'll be interested to see what is available on our upcoming cruise.

Are they still Farmer John dogs??? Gosh, I miss those commercials that Vin Scully used to do!!!

Yes Ma'am - Haven't seen the Vinnie commercials for a while though!

"You know, friends, nothing says 'summer' quite like a Farmer John hot dog. And there's no better way to celebrate summer than with a footlong hot dog, dubbed 'Dodger Dogs' at the stadium.

So when you're ready to fill your summer days with delicious fun, just go to your grocer's freezer and look for the famer in the deli--Farmer John. Mmmm-mmm!";)

Was there anything else good or bad about your cruise? Just curious since you posted about the same hot dog issue 6 months ago.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=993464

I personally only eat turkey dogs so would be happy with the choice, but I rarely eat them so I don't know if I would bother having one onboard, even if turkey was available. On Maasdam in April the grill chef said the hot dogs were beef so I didn't eat them. You don't mention what ship you were on. Maybe you should try Maasdam.

Well I am from the south, and the last thing I would look for on a cruise is a hot dog. Not fond of them at all. Save the hot dogs for the ball park and amusement park. You can eat much better on a cruiseship.

Bravo !!!

I share the same opinion. When I go away on vacation I try and eat things that I normally wouldn't eat at home.

Recently we completed another HAL cruise where the only hot dogs available at the grill were TURKEY dogs. While I know these are suppose ot be nutritious etc., the old fashioned Beef frankfurters ... read American Hot Dogs ... were not available, period.

Is this happening HAL-wide? Does anyone know? The last three cruises comprising two different HAL ships suffered from this phenomenon.

I for one don't care one lick for the nanny state and prefer to make my own decisions on what I consider healthy for me. Having both varieties is ok, but to advertise hot dogs as a main staple at the grill but not have real hot dogs is in poor taste IMHO.

harry

When we were on the Noordam this past Jan/Feb, they offered beef hot dogs. I rarely eat them at home, so this was a treat!

Yes Ma'am - Haven't seen the Vinnie commercials for a while though!

"You know, friends, nothing says 'summer' quite like a Farmer John hot dog. And there's no better way to celebrate summer than with a footlong hot dog, dubbed 'Dodger Dogs' at the stadium.

So when you're ready to fill your summer days with delicious fun, just go to your grocer's freezer and look for the famer in the deli--Farmer John. Mmmm-mmm!";)

Fond L.A. memories John... :) I miss the boys in blue.

That is a Nathans dog that Joey Chesnuts is shoving in his gullet. The weird part is that hot dogs are considered a cheap foodstuff so why would you not want to carry the good ones to keep people away from the expensive stuff? That is what choice is about, if it makes someone happy to eat a dog from the grill by the pool then why not? Should everyone have to like the same thing. If we still used that mentality we would still live in caves and bang rocks together for entertainment.

at an additional cost like ice cream.

they don't charge for ice cream on HAL.

I think that the chef didn't bring out the beef franks because he had too much supply of the turkey and was trying to get rid of them before they went bad. It's common practice on ships - the Executive Chef makes the final call for all of the supply orders before it's sent to provisions...if they have too much of one thing, you will see that for a while until it's depleted. On the Ryndam, Statendam and Zaandam on my recent cruises (all within the last 3 months) there were beef franks on all of them.

Nothing beats going to Coney Island and getting a Nathan's famous and a order of fries.

I don't know if they still offer it, but Princess, when they started operating from Brooklyn, offered a special room service Brooklyn treat that included Nathan's hot dogs and Junior's cheesecake.

Archived