*Oasis lifeboats damaged by storm damage-60 ft seas*

3redheads

Found this on twitter:

CruiseLog

BREAKING: A Royal Caribbean spokeswoman tells USA TODAY storm in Atlantic has damaged two Oasis of the Seas lifeboats.

CruiseLog

Royal Caribbean spokeswoman: Storm damage to Oasis of the Seas lifeboats will not delay inaugural events/maiden voyage.

CruiseLog

Royal Caribbean spokeswoman says storm damage to Oasis lifeboats is "minimal," and they will be repaired once ship arrives in Florida.

Richard Fain, says Oasis of the Seas has faced peak waves in excess of 60 feet high as it battles its way across the Atlantic.

"The weather has been anything but cooperative," he writes. "In fact, far from diminishing, the storm has gotten worse and they are now facing significant wave heights of up to 35 feet. Some peak waves exceed 60 feet. Nature is certainly impressive."

Also found this listed under the Oasis of the Seas sticky. Thought I'd bring it forward for those who don't check the sticky:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1087218

eta oops! title is a bit redundant. Should have proofread it. :)

60' seas? Yah-hoo! I'd be on the bow heli-pad jumping as high as I could on the wave crests.

If there's any sailors in here, you know exactly what I'm talking about! ;)

I'm and ex sailor but missed all of that. As and old 'bubble head' we spent all of our time under water. More like flying than sailing.;)

60' seas? Yah-hoo! I'd be on the bow heli-pad jumping as high as I could on the wave crests.

60 ft. waves? :eek: WOW. I'd be up there too!!! YEEE HAWW!!!

Who needs a zipline.

I'm sure I'd have one of those little brown bags clinched in my hands though.:D

I'm and ex sailor but missed all of that. As and old 'bubble head' we spent all of our time under water. More like flying than sailing.;)

Tanker, like being in the torpedo room of a boomer during emergency blow. Once you break the surface, when the bow falls out from under you, that'd be similar to what they're talking about. I can imagine that if the waves are 35 foot with peaks to 60, then the winds are howling, too, you'd be overboard on the first rise. Here's a link to one story: USA Today, where the Captain says they've encountered near hurricane force winds. So, if you get airborne, you're going to get some lateral movement as well.

We were just on the Brilliance we had rough seas but no where near that levl and we were in the aft (9256 ) and we were practically flying off the bed and all our drawers were opening and closing. We were laughing ourselves silly trying to wedge everything closed. I can't imagine what things are happening on the Oasis.

I guess it is really getting a "shakedown" for its shakedown cruise.

Tanker, like being in the torpedo room of a boomer during emergency blow. Once you break the surface, when the bow falls out from under you, that'd be similar to what they're talking about. I can imagine that if the waves are 35 foot with peaks to 60, then the winds are howling, too, you'd be overboard on the first rise. Here's a link to one story: USA Today, where the Captain says they've encountered near hurricane force winds. So, if you get airborne, you're going to get some lateral movement as well.

Never made one on a boomer Wraithe but know the feeling of having the bow fall out from under us on my attack boat during emergency blow.

I can't wait for some of the passengers to post their experiences. Atlantic Seas are the worst! I've found that Bonine works wonders. Wouldn't be without it!

No passengers on this voyage. Oasis is making her way from launching to her destination at Fort Lauderdale.

I would pay to watch you do that and then I would save your life:D

Add us to the list of wanting to be on the ship!!! What a ride that must be!!

Yeah a great ride until your head is down the toilet or over the side. Even the best get seasick.

I practically live on a 40 sailboat during the summer and I never get seasick. That was until I found myself sailing in 10-15 seas beating upwind. 5 hours of pure hell.

Lesson learned? Never ever think you are beyond getting seasick. Pack some meds.

Never made one on a boomer Wraithe but know the feeling of having the bow fall out from under us on my attack boat during emergency blow.

My only experience with a fast boat was listening to them ping us while we tried, key word there, tried to evade. We could hide really well during exercises, but when some idiot dropped a toilet seat or slammed a door and you guys got a fix on us, it was over. No way we could outrun once you got an active fix.

Hey Wraite...hubby noticed your siggy today. I always tell him all the old Navy conversations, I see here. He was on the USS Stimson too....but earlier than you, 78-84...I've concluded that he must be older than you. :p LOL He says you probably saw his signature here and there.

He put in 23 years....retired as a Senior Chief 10 years ago.

BTW..he agrees that he enjoyed those emergency blows too. :)

I recently sailed on Explorer with 22ft seas..that was enough for me! Thank goodness I didn't get seasick, but I did take some Dramamine just in case.

It's good to know that Oasis can handle the high waves!

My only experience with a fast boat was listening to them ping us while we tried, key word there, tried to evade. We could hide really well during exercises, but when some idiot dropped a toilet seat or slammed a door and you guys got a fix on us, it was over. No way we could outrun once you got an active fix.

Yeah, but even though our sonar guys were pretty good you boomer guys were awfully quiet unless/until someone dropped that toilet seat and, we also had our share of guys with brain fade when running quiet.:rolleyes: Also, you guys way out numbered us with the heavy stuff in case the flag ever dropped.

See you on the beach.........:)

Archived