Quebec to Toronto

mikedge

Princess are offering an additional optional 5 day land tour between Quebec and Toronto. Is it worth an additional 1,200 dollars per person to include hotels and trips or would we be better off doing our own thing? If so can anyone recommend a tour company for a one way tour?

You're looking at the Maple Explorer tour, right? Unless you really want to tour with a group, or do not want to drive, this tour is easily doable on your own by renting a car. Quebec City-Toronto direct is about an 8-hour drive, adding Ottawa is about a 2-3 hour detour in straight driving time. I think you could probably book the exact same hotels (except in Montreal, I feel the Delta isn't equivalent quality-wise to the other hotels, go for the Queen Elizabeth or Ritz-Carlton) and save money-wise.

That seems like a lot but the only way to do it otherwise would be by renting a vehicle and sometimes the driving and finding places takes the fun out of it all.

Being from back there originally I certainly would do it on my own. There's certainly quite a bit to see but I think I would recommend getting around the lake to Niagara falls as being a must ... does that show up in your tour ? It's past TO.

I would say that's expensive. I would definately skip Toronto, its not worth visiting.

It would be a lot easier and much more interesting to visit Montreal, Ottawa and up to the Laurentians to places like Mont Tremblant.

I would say that's expensive. I would definately skip Toronto, its not worth visiting.

What??? Toronto is one of my favorite cities!! It is definitely worth visiting in my opinion.

With a rental car, you could re-create the exact same trip for a lesser cost.

Figure 5 nights hotel @ $250/night = $1250

Rental car/gas/tolls = $300

Meals (5 breakfasts, 1 lunch, and 1 dinner which is what Maple Explorer includes) = $300

Admissions/attractions (similar to what Maple Explorer includes) = $200

TOTAL COST to DIY = $2050 (savings of $350)

If you choose lesser accommodations or find coupons/discounts for anything, you could easily do it yourself for even cheaper.

While there are obviously some savings, to me the main advantage to doing it on your own is the flexibility. You can detour to attractions that appeal to you and skip attractions that you aren't interested in. You can set your own schedule - wake up and start your day when you want, stop when you want (and not spend 30 minutes at a public restroom on the highway when you don't need to stop!), eat at any restaurant you'd like, etc.

The downside, is of course that you are in charge of the logistics. You will need to plan ahead to book hotels and a car rental, you will need to check in and out of the hotels, you will need to get directions/maps/GPS to each of your locations... You need to decide if the flexibility is worth the additional effort you need to put in. I took one trip with a group tour and will probably never take another; for me, the time and effort I put into it makes the trip MUCH more rewarding because I spend time doing what I want to do.

If you're not keen on driving, you could hit the major cities (Quebec, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto) by train (VIA Rail). Each of those cities has plenty to offer for a few nights visit. Without a car, you'd be limited on side trips outside of those cities, but frankly there is so much to do IN the city that you shouldn't find yourself bored.

with a rental car you can stay on the edges of cities in new clean motels rather than stay in the city center and pay for parking etc...also you don't have to deal with city center traffic unless you have to....for the $2400 you will spend with the cruise company you can see tons and do lots and go for more than 5 days....

• 1 month later...

Depends on where you are from and what you want to see. From Quebec City I would much rather tour La Belle Province. Being from Montreal it was always more interesting and exotic than dull Toronto. I would rent a car and go to Murray Bay (La Malbaie) or Baie St paul There are no prettier places anywhere. Stay in a B&B for the French Canadian hospitality.

Then Montreal. It rates 2 or 3 days Mount Royal, the Old City, the McCord Museum, perhaps a side trip to Ste Agathe. Unless you are desparate to see Niagara falls, all that driving on a bus would drive me crazy. i agree you should skip Toronto.

• 2 weeks later...

$2400 for a couple seems expensive. Train fare for two on the VIA site would range between $270 and $305 depending on whether one or both of you are over 60. The route would be Quebec City to Toronto with stopovers in Montreal and Ottawa. VIA 1, the so-called first class service gets you essentially the same kind of seat, preboarding and a cheesy airline meal. At a 50% or more premium it isn't worth it. Just avoid travel Friday rush hour which is peak. Book it yourself on the Via site. Check hotels on the Tripadvisor site and then book your own however you like -direct, agent, Expedia, whatever. Loews Vogue and Hotel de la Montagne are good choices in Montreal. Marriott Courtyard has comfy beds and central location in Toronto. Quebec City is full of delights. You could of course spend $2000 plus on hotels for, say, 6 nights but I can't see why 6 nights - 2 in each city - should run more than $900 with a bit of research. So $1200 instead of $2400.

Wendy, good to see you on this board! We are considering taking either the Silversea cruise Montreal/NY this Fall, OR a Tauck tour beginning in Montreal and including Quebec, Ottowa and Niagara Falls, and Toronto. Thats where you come in. We have free time in each city for our own dinner, and am wondering where you would recommend in Toronto. I know it is a very ethnically diverse city - as I recall there is a very large population of Indian immigrants. Can you recommend a good Indian restaurant? Or any others you deem worthy - the Tauck tour will include touring Parliament bldgs., the CN tower, and the U. of Toronto. Staying at the Fairmont Royal York.

Thanks for your help!

Glenda

Definitely cheaper to do it on your own, plus you'll have flexibility.

I was also thinking the train (VIA) if you don't want to drive. Once you're IN each city, you probably won't use the car much anyways....only really to go from city to city.

If you want real bang for your buck, try looking at Residence Inn's by Marriott. FULL hot breakfast buffet, and all rooms have full kitchens, so you could save money on meals right there.

The Parliament Buildings, SSS, are in Ottawa, not Toronto. LOTS to do in Ottawa....depending on the time of year you go, you can cruise or skate a long the canal - yes the Parliament Buildings...there's also umpteen museums to see (National Art Gallery, Museum of Civilization, etc..)

I wouldn't bother with Niagara Falls (past Toronto)...it's cheesy with too many neon signs and looks more like an amusement park these days.

• 5 months later...
Definitely do it on your own. Rent a car, or work out a train route. Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Niagara. Sorry to see the anti-Toronto sentiment, it's my city and I love it, although I really like Ottawa too.

Wendy,

We will be visiting Toronto at the end of September, because our younger daughter is currently based there.

En route from New York, we are considering spending a couple of nights at Niagara on the Lake/Niagara Falls, because my friends haven't seen the falls.

We have ten days altogether before we catch the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver on 9th Oct.

I would love to spend a few days at a cottage on a lake or a resort with a roaring log fire. Do you know any special places, near Toronto, you could recommend? I know it is not the best time of the year.

BTW I liked Toronto, when I visited many years ago (on a 3 month Greyhound bus pass).

BTW, for non-Canadians reading the above posts, you have witnessed a truly defining Canadian characteristic: the Canadian who doesn't come from Toronto, by definition, loathes Toronto. (That includes all of its sports teams, its geography, its people, its sights and sounds, etc.) So take anti-Toronto sentiments with a grain of salt.;)

Some things to see in Toronto not mentioned in previous posts (Googling these will provide more info):

- Distillery District: artsy shops

- Toronto Island (requires a ferry ride--pack a lunch, rent some bikes for the afternoon and take a holiday within your holiday)

- Queen St. West: interesting shops, although not quite as bohemian as it was a decade ago

- Yorkville: very expensive shops, but great for window shopping. Celebrities congregate here as well. (i.e. I drove past Donald Sutherland eating lunch at a sidewalk cafe last summer)

- St. Lawrence Market: A farmer's market of fresh food (and good coffee) under two roofs, open daily.

If you are into architecture, some of the sights you may want to check out include

- the Ontario College of Art & Design (OCAD): An improbable LEGO block on stilts

- Toronto Reference Library: one of the great interior spaces of the city

- Ontario Art Gallery: features a new redesign by Frank Gehry

- City Hall: designed by Viljo Revell, now over 40 years old and still one of the world's iconic municipal public buildings

Toronto is also one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world, and its 10,000 restaurants reflect this diversity: Italian (largest Italian population in the world outside of Rome), Greek, Thai, Vietnamese, Lebanese, German, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Moroccan, Swiss, Indian, French... and that's only scratching the surface. If you are into craft-brewed beer, Toronto is a hot-bed of brewing, and an increasing number of restaurants are dedicated to marrying good food to good beer.

Toronto is also known for live theatre, and ranks behind only New York and Chicago for Broadway-type shows. At the moment, "Jersey Boys", "Rock of Ages", "Legally Blonde", and "Miss Saigon" are the big shows in the "Theatre District", although there are many other smaller venues with more locally produced theatre.

the Canadian who doesn't come from Toronto, by definition, loathes Toronto. (That includes all of its sports teams, its geography, its people, its sights and sounds, etc.)

Of course. Your point being???;)

Signed, Twickenham, Quebec resident and proud member of Red Sox Nation :D

P.S. I like Burlington...

BTW, for non-Canadians reading the above posts, you have witnessed a truly defining Canadian characteristic: the Canadian who doesn't come from Toronto, by definition, loathes Toronto. (That includes all of its sports teams, its geography, its people, its sights and sounds, etc.) So take anti-Toronto sentiments with a grain of salt.;)

Some things to see in Toronto not mentioned in previous posts (Googling these will provide more info):

- Distillery District: artsy shops

- Toronto Island (requires a ferry ride--pack a lunch, rent some bikes for the afternoon and take a holiday within your holiday)

- Queen St. West: interesting shops, although not quite as bohemian as it was a decade ago

- Yorkville: very expensive shops, but great for window shopping. Celebrities congregate here as well. (i.e. I drove past Donald Sutherland eating lunch at a sidewalk cafe last summer)

- St. Lawrence Market: A farmer's market of fresh food (and good coffee) under two roofs, open daily.

If you are into architecture, some of the sights you may want to check out include

- the Ontario College of Art & Design (OCAD): An improbable LEGO block on stilts

- Toronto Reference Library: one of the great interior spaces of the city

- Ontario Art Gallery: features a new redesign by Frank Gehry

- City Hall: designed by Viljo Revell, now over 40 years old and still one of the world's iconic municipal public buildings

Toronto is also one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world, and its 10,000 restaurants reflect this diversity: Italian (largest Italian population in the world outside of Rome), Greek, Thai, Vietnamese, Lebanese, German, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Moroccan, Swiss, Indian, French... and that's only scratching the surface. If you are into craft-brewed beer, Toronto is a hot-bed of brewing, and an increasing number of restaurants are dedicated to marrying good food to good beer.

Toronto is also known for live theatre, and ranks behind only New York and Chicago for Broadway-type shows. At the moment, "Jersey Boys", "Rock of Ages", "Legally Blonde", and "Miss Saigon" are the big shows in the "Theatre District", although there are many other smaller venues with more locally produced theatre.

Thank you for your comments.

What do you think is the reason? BTW My daughter is loving Toronto and she is widely travelled.

What is the reason for dumping on TO? They are more careful now, but the media used to imply that Toronto was the centre of everything and that nothing of importance was elsewhere. It still annoys me that they refer to themselves as East when there are five provinces east of Ontario.

I also vote for doing it yourself for the same reasons.

Thank you for your comments.

What do you think is the reason? BTW My daughter is loving Toronto and she is widely travelled.

Toronto and its surrounding suburbs contain almost 15% of the total population of Canada. Many head offices reside in Toronto, giving it financial and political clout greater than even its population would suggest. In professional sports, it was also the focus of attention--until the 1970s, it had one of only two NHL (hockey) teams in Canada, and today, has the only MLB (baseball) team and NBA (basketball) team in Canada. For many years, most of the English programming of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) reflected a Toronto-centric view.

Unfortunately, as the previous poster has suggested, because of this Torontonians assumed for many years that they were the only important thing happening in Canada. This naturally led to a lot of resentment from other Canadians.

Fortunately over the past few years there are signs that Torontonians are starting to realize that they are not the centre of the universe, and we can only hope that this will continue.

Archived