Hotel 1998

likemybeach

We read a lot about hotels before our July cruise and ended up staying at the Hotel Jazz. It was great and worked really well for us. But, a lot of people have written here about the Hotel 1998 and I've never read any negative comment except that it's rather pricey!!

1. You both are 100 years off - it is called Hotel 1898, not 1998!:D

2. BigGuy, we just booked three nights post-cruise at Hotel Jazz for mid-May next year. Glad to hear you liked it. It will be our first European hotel stay without breakfast included so I hope that hot chocolate and churros are available readily nearby.

CintiPam - I thought 1998 didn't seem right when I was typing it!!! So, maybe we're either 100 years off or talking about the wrong hotel!!

I think you'll like the Jazz. The Ramblas is just a very short walk with all sorts of outdoor and and indoor cafes. And, if you want to feel closer to home there is a Starbucks just around the corner from the front door of the hotel.

And, just so this doesn't drive you crazy. The Jazz is a hotel where you need to stick your room key into a slot by the front door (inside the room) in order for your lights to work. Many European hotels work that way ... but until you figure it out its a bit maddening.

It all dependson what you're looking for really.

Here's the listings for hotels in Barcelona on Tripadvisor...........all 500 + :) with price guides and unbiased opinions of those who have stayed there.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/HACSearch?geo=&q=+barcelona&inDay=13&inMonth=11%2F2009&checkIn=13%2F11%2F2009&outDay=15&outMonth=11%2F2009&checkOut=15%2F11%2F2009&minmaxrate=0%2C9999999&currency=GBP&adults=2#02,1257795919609,bc_airports:S,bc_convention_centers:S,l1price:S0|999999,l1rating:S0|999999,nameContains:S

We stayed at the no1 rated Hotel Montecarlo.

While it was perfectly comfortable and the staff were excellent, I'm quite sure there's better hotels in Barcelona. The big plus with Hotel Montecarlo is its location, right on Las Ramblas. If you fancy it I recommend you book as early as possible to make very worthwhile savings. ( appx 30% in our case).

On our pre-cruise night in Barcelona we visited Tablao Cordobes, to watch a flamenco dance show. It's located 10 mins walk down on the other side of Las Ramblas. Cost is around 25 euros pp ( without the dinner). The reviews on the dinner weren't too good and that will double the cost if you go for the show and dinner. The show itself is good and has an authentic air about it. You can book your reservation online, as I did. That's certainly advisable if you fancy it, cos reservations get called by name ahead of a lengthy queue and it's a small venue.

http://www.tablaocordobes.com/

:)

Oh btw, don't be put off by the inflated price for Hotel Montecarlo on Tripadvisor. They say rooms are available around 250 euros per room, but we paid just over half that for a spa bath, remote controlled beds adjusting to requirements and a balcony overlooking Las Ramblas.

We booked with Venere.com via Tripadvisor.

1. You both are 100 years off - it is called Hotel 1898, not 1998!:D

2. BigGuy, we just booked three nights post-cruise at Hotel Jazz for mid-May next year. Glad to hear you liked it. It will be our first European hotel stay without breakfast included so I hope that hot chocolate and churros are available readily nearby.

boy I was way off :confused: so many places to stay I will check out Hotel Jazz also thanks again

BigGuy, thanks for the Hotel Jazz tips.

I also look forward to reading how MightyQuinn likes his stay there.

Saturated, thanks for the flamenco show tip; we went to one in Seville about seven years ago and really enjoyed our experience. I definitely will check it out.

Oh btw, don't be put off by the inflated price for Hotel Montecarlo on Tripadvisor. They say rooms are available around 250 euros per room, but we paid just over half that for a spa bath, remote controlled beds adjusting to requirements and a balcony overlooking Las Ramblas.

We booked with Venere.com via Tripadvisor.

I thought that Hotel Montecarlo was perfect for the price, location, and amenities. The rooftop patio where you can bring up your own wine and cheese purchased on Las Ramblas was great. The thing that I appreciated the most was that I felt that I was in Barcelona, not at a Hilton in NY.:)

Fair do's Got To Cruise, but I wouldn't stay in a Hilton anyhow. I have to say, I didn't get much of an authentic Spanish feel at Hotel Montecarlo, apart from the staff being Spanish. Don't get me wrong; it's perfectly comfortable and the staff are friendly. But the roof terrace closes at 7pm, for reasons best known to themselves and I'm mightily surprised that it's no1 on Tripadvisor. I wouldn't expect much less at the price tbh. It certainly has a great location :)

Superior room, booked through Expedia for $306.

Asked for room with balcony and got it. King bed in a decent sized room, comfortable linens, marble and granite bathroom, flat-screen TV, kettle for coffee, etc. Hotel staff helpful and efficient.

The rooftop terrace has panoramic views. Our room faced Las Ramblas which was great for people watching, but not so great in the middle of the night when revelers were out in force. They have rooms that face an interior garden which would be quieter. Good location to the Metro, HOHO buses, La Bouqueria Market, and Palua de Musica Catalan.

Archived