Kindle 2 SS users

WesW

Update, have had our Kindle now for two weeks and absoluely love it. Read the

NYT daily and already have five books (1 for my bride, 4 me) for our upcoming

TA. Expect to download the NYT, International Herald Tribune at half of our

ports (costs $5 week to download from an international location). Amazon

did great work getting about 84 international agreements with countries

so whispernet would work (for our TA, Lisbon, Funchal and Antigua) will work.

fyi..Today's USAtoday's money section cover story is on ereaders..very

provocative piece:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2009-12-11-ebooks11_CV_N.htm

• 1 month later...

I'm just resurrecting this thread to find out whether your Kindle was a success on your recent Transatlantic.

Also a question re your Kindle, are u able to download Free ebooks or can u only access books on the Amazon site (i.e. must pay for them).

Thankx v much.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Jennifer, thanks for your follow-up ? concerning the Kindle..my favorite electronic gadget bar none. Absolutely, the Kindle far exceeded my expectations during our TA. Instead of carrying 4-5 hardback books, we loaded the Kindle with 5 of our fav author novels (4 for me, one for my bride). Moreover, was able to download the daily (for a $4.99 weekly international download fee) the Internation Herald Tribune for three days in Lisbon, and download in Las Palmas, Tenerfie and one more port. A real treat, since IMO, a serious Spirit maiden cross glitch (I don't believe was reported on the Maiden Cross thread) was the Spirit's printer was broken (software problem) the duration of our crossing, therefore (except one day when the consicierge dept went ashore in Tenerife to buy a few newspapers (different languages) to place in

the Library--we had no paper copies of the NYT, WSJ, etc during our voyage. Ordinarily, on any lux sailing I have been on, there are daily copies of these papers placed in the library for everyone's use. Thus, the kindle version of the IHT was very, very welcome when it downloaded.

Jennifer, u can also subscribe to the Kindle Nation (for .99cents a month) that daily, has an article or two on what free ebooks you can download. (e.g. today's

article, titled "Kindle Nation Free Book Alert for Friday Jan 29, three new Bestsellers:

--Crossing the Gates of Alaska by D Mertz

--Celebutards by A Peyser

--In the Warrior's Bed by M White

Also, here is a wikipedia link that will better explain what content (free and fee) you can dowload on a Kindle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle

I have never, and will never pay a contract for wireless service--thus, for me the Ipad is not attractive due to extra fees ($130 month) to get 3G net access andup $29.99mo for an ATT wireless plan. Thus the cost of an IPAD with the 3G and wireless access is over $1000 vs $259 for the Kindle. But I digress and it is way to soon to talk about the IPAD's capabilities, strengths, weaknesses...but if you are interested in learning more about the IPAD...suggest this link:

http://www.allaboutipad.com/

I happened upon this thread after returning home from my cruise on Shadow. I was so intrigued, I went to the internet to read as much as I could about the Kindle as well as the cost for books on Amazon.

Well, I treated myself to both a Christmas present and a 75th. birthday present and ordered a Kindle2.

What an amazing device. One of my favorite authors, Clive Cussler was coming out with a new book on December 29th. [my birthday] and I preordered the book. That morning turned on my Kindle and lo and behold there was my book. Have about 10 books on it and have only read 3. Really looking forward to replacing my hard cover and pocket books with just one wonderful little device.

Thank you all for a very informative thread.

I believe I have the best of all worlds as on my iPhone I have the Kindle app which has enabled me to have the capability of downloading Kindle books, (I have just read "New York" by Rutherford, a wonderful read,) and also available from iTunes, "ebooks audio books." SO, I have downloaded several of them for my next cruise. That, together with my vast collection of favorite music will keep me amused and out of trouble I hope!!

I have not seen the monthly fees for the iPad but, if it is to be more than the iPhone premium, (as quoted by Col.Wes,) I believe it will be overpriced.

To cechase, I am delighted that you bought a Kindle and know that you will relly enjoy its convenience. Happy reading!!

I Pad will have free download if you just want to use it on wireless net or it can run between 15 to 30 dollars a month on a 3G service.

Books and newspapers will probably be through the Apple store. Nice feature is ten hour battery life.

Time will tell if it catches on.

Keith, more's the pity! REAL books, magazines, and newspapers are wonderful in ways that can never be replaced by electronic imposters. I enjoy my computers as much as anyone, but it will be a cold day in hell when I curl up in front of a cozy fireplace with a kindle.

Well, WS, I don't know . . . remember the day when you swore you would never sign up for cable TV? Or wear a seatbelt? Or pay to watch a movie at home instead of going to the movie theater? Or allow your daughter/son to wear jeans to school? Or, more currently, send emails and post on a forum instead of sending letters? =)

Rally, u have to remember, as a Navy man, Dieter (WS) can't really read anyway...he cozies up to the fireplace with comics (focusing in on the pictures vs words).

I forgot, Colonel, and thanks for reminding me. That is why they have drawing of a man hitting his head on a doorway instead of the word, "DUCK!"

One of my favorite authors, Clive Cussler was coming out with a new book on December 29th. [my birthday] and I preordered the book.

Hi Charlie

Good to see u have a Kindle and enjoying using it.

We are going to get on fine, we are both Capricorns (I'm January 13) and we both like Clive Cussler.:D:D

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Rally, u have to remember, as a Navy man, Dieter (WS) can't really read anyway...he cozies up to the fireplace with comics (focusing in on the pictures vs words).

Colonel certainly enjoy reading all of your posts which are always chock full of useful information. However, I do have to correct one statement - us navy guys certainly know how to read! If you look at my signature, I served as the head of the Supply Department on the U.S.S. Westchester County for two years mostly in WesPac. After serving four years in the Navy, went to law school and had a 38 year career as an attorney - which of course required some reading.

Go Navy!

Now that the Kindle DX International version is available, do u think the larger screen size would be better? The Kindle 2 Intl is $259 and the Kindle DX Intl is $489. I'm not sure which is better value...any comments?

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Jennifer: I find that the kindle2 is just the right size for me. I tend to read for an hour or so at nighttime in bed, and it seems almost right, about the size of a paper back. The kindle2 also is supported by wireless networks in 80 countries [including Portugal, which I checked before ordering it from Amazon.]

While I have no personal knowledge nor have seen the kindleDX, it looks like it would be the size of a hardcover book.

g-day

Jennifer, if you have a need to look at documents, e.g., cookbook recipes, professional documents (ie as a Phd, MD, researcher, CPA) or textbooks, then from what I've read

the DX may be for you. Pls see this link (dtd Jan 2010)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357726,00.asp

Pls see this link for a general review of the DX taken from

mid 2009.

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-readers/amazon-kindle-dx-u/4505-3508_7-33643953.html

However, believe I use my Kindle 2 like Charlie intimates above, for leisure reading (i.e.,

in my study, waiting to see Vet, Dentist, MD, etc, on our cruises, or at night). Thus, for me the Kindle 2 is as Charlie sez, "just the right size."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357726,00.asp

Rally and Wes, I couldn't respond quickly because I was returning home from the Spirit on the extended journey home from hell thanks to U.S. Airways. But now I've seen your kind words regarding us Navy guys. I assure you, they did teach me to read marginally well at Princeton. But, regarding the Kindle, I'll probably have to eat my former words. Wes demo'd it for me on the TA crossing, and a number of others were using it happily. I still won't use it in front of the fire or in the hot tub at home, but I may well have one (or an IPAD) for our next cruise in August. Warm regards to all, it's nice to be home.

Dieter

Rally and Wes, I couldn't respond quickly because I was returning home from the Spirit on the extended journey home from hell thanks to U.S. Airways. But now I've seen your kind words regarding us Navy guys. I assure you, they did teach me to read marginally well at Princeton. But, regarding the Kindle, I'll probably have to eat my former words. Wes demo'd it for me on the TA crossing, and a number of others were using it happily. I still won't use it in front of the fire or in the hot tub at home, but I may well have one (or an IPAD) for our next cruise in August. Warm regards to all, it's nice to be home.

Dieter

Enjoyed your posts, Dieter. Sorry you had a bad trip home. Glad you had a great cruise though!

Archived