Request for egg crate confirmed :)

Laughing Gull

Thanks to all who reccomended faxing a request for an egg crate mattress topper to Princess. Just thought I'd let you know that when looking at our travel summary online I saw that the request had been confirmed. :)

Hopefully the beds won't be too bad! So far, in our opinion, Royal Caribbean has the most comfy beds ever (wanted to take it home!) and Norwegian was ok for me but my husband suffered from back ache which is very unusua for him.

Thanks to all who reccomended faxing a request for an egg crate mattress topper to Princess. Just thought I'd let you know that when looking at our travel summary online I saw that the request had been confirmed. :)

Hopefully the beds won't be too bad! So far, in our opinion, Royal Caribbean has the most comfy beds ever (wanted to take it home!) and Norwegian was ok for me but my husband suffered from back ache which is very unusua for him.

And as soon as you get into your cabin check it. Betcha' it won't be there. ;) Just find and ask your cabin steward for one immediately.

Frankly, I am a little apprehensive as a first time Princess cruiser to hear so much buzz concerning the uncomfortableness of the beds such that so many people are requesting these toppers. I don't get it! My understaning is that Princess caters to a more upscale crowd. Why should we be bothered with making this type of request? OK, I'll stop my rant now (:

Frankly, I am a little apprehensive as a first time Princess cruiser to hear so much buzz concerning the uncomfortableness of the beds such that so many people are requesting these toppers. I don't get it! My understaning is that Princess caters to a more upscale crowd. Why should we be bothered with making this type of request? OK, I'll stop my rant now (:

There are those who find the beds comfortable (me) and there are those who complain even before they've tried them. There are also those who sleep quite comfortably even when they've been unable to obtain the eggcrate. Every subject has its own pros and cons.

What number did you fax the request to? I have always asked for the egg crate as soon as we board and there has not been a problem, but I would much prefer to have it confirmed ahead of time. Thanks...

Its not that the beds are so uncomfortable but the fact that I am a side sleeper and my hips are sore in the morning without the egg crate, guess I am just too used to my foam mattress at home.

And as soon as you get into your cabin check it. Betcha' it won't be there. ;) Just find and ask your cabin steward for one immediately.

We have had egg crates confirmed on our cruise personalizer and we have about a 75% success rate on finding them on our bed when we arrive. I haven't tracked which ships it has been on but it has been on the more recent sailings. I have a confirmation for our upcoming Hawaii cruise, so I'll see it's already on athe bed this time. But whatever, you are correct, if the egg crate is not there when you arrive, just ask your steward.

Truer words were never spoken. After faxing down for an eggcrate, I was happy to see it was posted in my cruise personalizer. Lo and Behold, it wasn't there when we arrived to our minisuite. Since we were able to talk to our steward immediately and inquire about it, he pleasantly showed me that the mattress had a regular mattress pad on it. Duh??? He spoke English perfectly and acted like that was his solution to a request for an eggcrate. When I explained that the lightly quilted pad would not be sufficient, he then proceeded to bring me a 4 inch foam that is used to make soft mattresses, harder, which was the very last thing that mattress needed! We gave it a chance 1 night and found it torturous. With no other solutions being offered to us, I requested he remove the 4 inch, totally inflexible hard pad, and we just suffered with aches and pains the entire 14 day sailing on the Golden. On the 12th day, we spoke to someone who had the same experience as we did, but he complained enough the 2nd day and was given a new mattress which was much more acceptable. Stupid me.:rolleyes: We disembarked this past weekend, and today, Tuesday, we both are still suffering aches and pains. At this point, we are booked and paid in full for a 14 day sailing on the Grand in January; and if we suffer the same torture, that will be it for Princess. After all the years of loving Princess, with all of the perks we have accumulated with them, it will be a shame to have to stop sailing with them. But when it is an effort to get out bed every morning of the sailing, knowing you will be in pain all day and night, it's time to make some changes. Every other cruise line we sail on have better bedding, including even NCL and Carnival, not to mention Celebrity, RCL, HAL, so there really is no excuse for this recent development that seems to be occurring on Princess lately. BTW, we are only middle age, in good physical health and have had no similar problems on any other line. I did note this on the comment form, and have done it on the 2 other sailings we have found this problem to exists in the last year. I'm truly hoping our mattress on the Grand in January will be as good as it was last January on the same 14 day sailing.:)

I made the same request by fax about a week ago and still don't see it within my cruise personalizer. Where does the confirmation appear? where should I be looking for it? Thanks.

It is on the last page of my printed travel summary. I've made a note to check it's really in place when we get to the cabin :) The beds might be fine without but I'm not taking any chances.

Send the fax to :Princess Special Services at 661-284-4745 with your

Booking #

Cabin #

Date of Cruise

Name of Ship

Name of Passengers

and then write in your requests and that should hopefully line it all up.

I did this and it showed up a couple of days later. Click on "View Travel Summary and Boarding Pass" on the right hand side of your screen. Then click on "Special Services". This is where it shows your confirmation of an egg crate request.

I wouldn't be apprehensive. Beds are so subjective. My have a pillow top mattress with a 4 inch memory foam pad. To me this is heaven. When I had family here and let them use my bed, they hated it and opted for the pull out sofa bed. To each his own.

I am going to keep my fingers crossed. So far I am batting 100 for special requests faxed in ahead of time.

Just off the Caribbean Princess. I faxed my request in and the egg crate was on the bed when we arrived. It is not much to speak of just a thin foam egg crate pad. Bed was very firm and the pad made is less so, but I would still say it was firm. even with the egg crate.

Unfortunately the egg crate of old, which worked very well, has now turned into just a 1/4 inch slice of plain foam, which does not work very well. Dont understand why they just dont give their customers decent mattresses.

I think this has something to do with so many complaints lately. With the old style that were true egg crate mattress pads (several inches thick), I don't remember as many complaints. But with these new thin ones (very thin I might add), the complaints are becoming more numerous.

Our last cruise, we invested just under $100 at the first port for a memory foam topper, and it was worth every single cent we paid for it over a period of 21 days. ;) When we left the ship, it was given to the F&B manager, and I am sure he is really enjoying it now.

I faxed in a request a few weeks ago for our upcoming Emerald Thanksgiving cruise, but I don't see anything on the cruise personalizer about it. On our recent August cruise on the Diamond, we faxed our request it in advance, and Stewart put it on the bed mid-afternoon of boarding day. It appeared that he'd gotten the request in advance, but didn't have the mattress pads available until later in the day, so he had to re-make the bed.

With the mattress problem improved -- marginally -- by the addition of the foam topper, the next issue became the pillows. They were horrible! Old, smushed, worn out... They were bad. I'm seriously considering taking my own on our next cruise. DH & I are flying to FLL in our little Cessna, so I have the option to take as many pieces of luggage as we can stuff in the airplane... Maybe I'll bring pillows. :/

Happy cruising,

Mary Ellen

I checked my summary and it's in there twice! I faxed one several months in advance and it didn't show up, so I sent it again a couple weeks ago. Now they are both there. Maybe that will double our odds of getting it, lol.

No - maybe that means you'll get TWO!!! Woo hoo! Your bed will be doubly soft & comfy...

:)

Mary Ellen

Booking #

Cabin #

Date of Cruise

Name of Ship

Name of Passengers

I did this and it showed up a couple of days later. Click on "View Travel Summary and Boarding Pass" on the right hand side of your screen. Then click on "Special Services". This is where it shows your confirmation of an egg crate request.

I faxed in my request a couple of weeks ago (sailing on 22nd November), but it's not there. Either they didn't receive the fax, or they are ignoring it? Will just have to rely on asking the steward on the first day, as we did on our last couple of cruises, but it's a shame for him to have to remake the bed, when it could have been done when preparing the cabin.

Booking #

Cabin #

Date of Cruise

Name of Ship

Name of Passengers

Thank you for all this very helpful information. I faxed our information 2 weeks ago using your format and today it showed up under the special services section for our 12/7 cruise. Now if it's just there when we get there. thanks again. Lisa

As others have said, even if it's confirmed in Personalizer - check to see if it's on your bed. My request was confirmed, but it wasn't on the bed so we had to ask the cabin steward to put one on the bed. He seemed kind of put out, and said he wouldn't have time until the next morning. Because of that, along with mediocre service at best (not cleaning our cabin until 11:00 am - when we had been out of it since 7:00 am) he did not get any additional gratuity other than the auto-tip.

The beds on the Sapphire Princess were like slabs of marble, which is the only negative thing I have to say about the ship or the line. I should have paid more attention to this board before our cruise and requested the egg crates. I think that the cruise execs should try sleeping on these mattresses before they order thousands of them.

Archived