What was your experience bring liquor home?

lilkrz

I just did a Southern Cruise on the Victory. Visited St. Thomas and allowed 5 liters of liquor pp. The last night the CD goes through the disembarktation and says remember all liquor was to go into your checked luggage on the plane no carry on is allowed. Now most of the time coming home you've already filled you bags with stuff and the CD now tells us we also have to put our liquor in our bags. I had two bottles to bring home only one made in back in one piece. I think the CD should have brought this up during the Port talks that liquor is no longer allowed as a carry on with the airlines. I assumed since it was sealed it would be allowed. There were 38 people in our group and those of us who bought liquor didn't realized this was going to be an issue. Do you think we are not told on purpose. Of course then no one would be buying large amounts liquor or very expensive liquor taking the chance it could break.

Liquids havent been allowed on planes for a long time ... Im confused why you didnt know this. Heck they said my lipstick was a liquid and I was only allowed items under 3 oz or some such.

I was bringing a glass jar 2 years ago of pecan butter, it sure wasnt a liquid to me, barely spreads ... and they made me go check my carry on because of this ... so its been in effects for at least a few years about liquids in your carry ons. .. didnt you fly to the port?

Liquids havent been allowed on planes for a long time ... Im confused why you didnt know this. Heck they said my lipstick was a liquid and I was only allowed items under 3 oz or some such.

I was bringing a glass jar 2 years ago of pecan butter, it sure wasnt a liquid to me, barely spreads ... and they made me go check my carry on because of this ... so its been in effects for at least a few years about liquids in your carry ons. .. didnt you fly to the port?

You cant carry ON large bottles but you can take the small UNOPENED bottles with you in the 3-1-1 as long as they are not more than 70% alcohol and under 3oz (I have spiked a few drinks in my time)

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1189.shtm

"Carrying Alcohol In Your Checked Baggage Please note, you can’t take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations."

We ended up spending MORE than the local costs after losing an entire bottle of Patron Silver :( by breakage (and we had it wrapped well)

AND paying the over weight fees at the airport :mad: good grief!

I thought that since it is a sealed item directly from the manufacture this would be allowed. I few in and out of San Juan. If you fly out of San Juan they have a liquor store at the gate where you can buy your 5 liters & 5 cartons of cigs. and carry them on the plane. Wish I knew that ahead of time.

The airlines have their rules regarding fluids...

which have been highly publicized,

so that even us who do not use airlines know the rules...

and The CD did not tell you about airline rules...

so...it is the CD's fault....

Am I missin something?

The airlines have their rules regarding fluids...

which have been highly publicized,

so that even us who do not use airlines know the rules...

and The CD did not tell you about airline rules...

so...it is the CD's fault....

Am I missin something?

I didnt hear the OP blaming the CD- just wishing for some 'reminders' about traveling with alcohol.

I agree they could have mentioned it, and provided some 'hints' for getting your boose home in one piece- that would be a helpful inclusion during the presentation, considering that so many cruisers fly home after cruising. I dont see this as a REQUIREMENT, but a courtesy....

You cant carry ON large bottles but you can take the small UNOPENED bottles with you in the 3-1-1 as long as they are not more than 70% alcohol and under 3oz (I have spiked a few drinks in my time)

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1189.shtm

"Carrying Alcohol In Your Checked Baggage Please note, you can’t take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations."

We ended up spending MORE than the local costs after losing an entire bottle of Patron Silver :( by breakage (and we had it wrapped well)

AND paying the over weight fees at the airport :mad: good grief!

Since you posted back to me ... I was talking about carry ons ... you quoted the rules for checked luggage, apples and oranges.

I just did a Southern Cruise on the Victory. Visited St. Thomas and allowed 5 liters of liquor pp. The last night the CD goes through the disembarktation and says remember all liquor was to go into your checked luggage on the plane no carry on is allowed. Now most of the time coming home you've already filled you bags with stuff and the CD now tells us we also have to put our liquor in our bags. I had two bottles to bring home only one made in back in one piece. I think the CD should have brought this up during the Port talks that liquor is no longer allowed as a carry on with the airlines. I assumed since it was sealed it would be allowed. There were 38 people in our group and those of us who bought liquor didn't realized this was going to be an issue. Do you think we are not told on purpose. Of course then no one would be buying large amounts liquor or very expensive liquor taking the chance it could break.

The OP is talking about having wanted to carry on the liquor ... not that she couldnt check it or about checked baggage rules.

Since you posted back to me ... I was talking about carry ons ... you quoted the rules for checked luggage, apples and oranges.

The OP is talking about having wanted to carry on the liquor ... not that she couldnt check it or about checked baggage rules.

I love fruit :)

And I love booze- especially when its so stinking CHEAP

The OP mentioned losing a bottle on the flight home- so I mentioned the TSA ruling WHICH BROUGHT TO POINT that alcohol IS allowed, just in tiny quantities- WHICH BRINGS UP A QUESTION- how many mini bar bottles can you fit in a quart size bag?

Well, I could only fit five because I had to put my lipgloss, eyedrops and perfume in there too ;)

It's a good day to be exacting, isnt it?

The problem also is weight...I had brought a couple of empty 32oz rumrunners with me on the Splendor a couple of weeks ago with the intention of pouring the purchased alcohol from the bottles into them...I got over it quick. I ended up just buying the little sample mini packs of vodka and rum and Patron for a friend. I really wanted to get some Sheridans, but you can't really transfer that. Since I am going solo on my cruise in April, hopefully, I can get some Sheridan's then. My daughter and I shared suitcases this last trip and we were close to weight limit...(2 lbs over on 1, but Alaska Air person was nice and let it go.)

YES ~ ABSOLUTELY ~~!!~~ Just another in the long list of the devious, underhanded, spiteful conspiracies of Carnival ripping off their valued customers.... I can assume Carnival receives a kick back from ALL the liquor & gift shops.....

With all the passengers having to leave their excess liquor on board, they can merely restock their liquor store so that the same disgusting trick can be pulled next week on more unsepcting....

Thanks for the warning ~~!!~~

Another trick they are know for is NOT telling passengers until the last evening about Greyhound bus and Amtrak train policies...

Unfortunately, a lot of airline rules have changed since 9/11. It is a pretty well known fact what the TSA rules are and I'm surprised that nobody out of your group of 38 didn't know the rules. Factory sealed going on a plane, doesn't mean that it can't be opened on the plane and used for something other than what it's meant for. I don't like the rules either, but I would rather be safe. I remember the days (80's) when we would get on the plane with liquor cartons in hand. Big ziplock bags and bubble wrap are now important things to add to packing list.

Count yourselves lucky, at least you can bring back alcohol. As a Canadian I am limited to 1 bottle of alcohol or 1.5 litre's of wine. It has to be in the checked baggage. At least if you are allowed several (all of you staying in the US) if only one breaks you have others. As for baggage weight, bring a carryon and put non liquids in that. Less likely to go over your weight limits then.

Although I have a very fond memory of my sister going through her suitcase at the Miami airport trying to get rid of 12 excess pounds. Guess who got stuck with the extra weight...

I thought that since it is a sealed item directly from the manufacture this would be allowed. I few in and out of San Juan. If you fly out of San Juan they have a liquor store at the gate where you can buy your 5 liters & 5 cartons of cigs. and carry them on the plane. Wish I knew that ahead of time.

I've purchased from that sore in PR as well....Killer deal on JW Black liters ;-)

The thing to remember is that the store there is after you have cleared security and before the gate. The purchase was made in a secure location. Purchase from anywhere prior to security screening is not gonna fly. Unfortunately they don't allow the five liter liquor buy for US citizens returning home anymore...major bummer.

Archived