Excursion Options

Sicilian

Yes, keep reading here. Get a few books about Alaska. Examples of tours I've liked - float plane to Misty Fjords Natl. Monument with Island Wings in Ketchikan, whale watching with Orca Enterprises in Juneau, the White Pass & Yukon Rail Road in Skagway, the fast ferry to Haines (a REAL Alaskan town!) from Skagway, the otter quest in Sitka, and much more!

We are booked on Silversea Vancouver to Vancouver on June 17, 2010. Will be docking in Ketchikan, Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, Victoria, B.C. Any suggestions on tours? Thanks!:)

You will find that everyone of us CCr's have our own personal favorites. As you get suggestions, do your research and find what YOU will be most interested in doing/seeing. But, I'll get you started.

You are stopping in Sitka which is one of my favorite ports - 1. because it reminds me of the Stockholm Archipelagos (I love all the little islands), and 2. best whale watch/sealife excursion. Check out Capt. Davey of the Ester G www.puffinsandwhales.com In my opinion you will not be disappointed. Davey is friendly, and very knowledgeable about the Sitka Sound.

Ketchikan is a cute town to walk. It also is where you can catch a flight to experience Misty Fjords National Park. We did this with Seawind Aviation (dot com) and Steve is a wonderful pilot and we will use them again on our trip this summer (2010). Steve and his wife Lesley are our preference. Others will suggest who they prefer. Just be sure to schedule your flight (if you do one) so that you will have time to explore Creek Street.

Juneau, so many options.

Skagway, I'm not into trains, so not my favorite, but I'm sure others will fill you in on this port.

Enjoy your cruise (and your planning ;))

Juneau -done dog sledding and mendenhall glacier plus the beer factory. will do whales, mendenhall and salmon bake. i hope the tram -depends on weather.

skagway- did the train- this time either hike and raft or another boat trip.

ketchikan- did flightseeing with crab feast- this time totem poles and walk around some more. best shops here of all the towns for different tigns.

There are hundreds of tours in Alaska, you need to do your homework. Find out what each port is noted for and what is of interest TO YOU. There is no point in raving about something of no interest. Determine your budget, for the same reason, no point in recommending $300++ flightseeing, when it's not even doable.

Each port is very unique and the tours vastly different. Look over a shore excursion list, head to your library and get Alaska By Cruiseship. Then repost with your top choices, for more specific information, hopefully from posters who have been there and done that. :)

Yes, keep reading here. Get a few books about Alaska. Examples of tours I've liked - float plane to Misty Fjords Natl. Monument with Island Wings in Ketchikan, whale watching with Orca Enterprises in Juneau, the White Pass & Yukon Rail Road in Skagway, the fast ferry to Haines (a REAL Alaskan town!) from Skagway, the otter quest in Sitka, and much more!

Did you book the 2hr or 4hr tour with Island Wings?

How did you book the White Pass & Yukon Rail......with the ship, with Chilkoot, some other way????

I am considering doing both of these, and would love your input.

Thanks

There are hundreds of tours in Alaska, you need to do your homework. Find out what each port is noted for and what is of interest TO YOU. There is no point in raving about something of no interest. Determine your budget, for the same reason, no point in recommending $300++ flightseeing, when it's not even doable.

Each port is very unique and the tours vastly different. Look over a shore excursion list, head to your library and get Alaska By Cruiseship. Then repost with your top choices, for more specific information, hopefully from posters who have been there and done that. :)

BQ...

Is it possible to book 2 (or 3) tours in a port? In most of our stops we have between 9 and 13 hours

For example, in Ketchikan, I would like to use Island Wings for a floatplane to Misty Fiords. AND I would like to go to Saxman Village to see the totem poles AND have time to wonder a bit on my own

In Juneau, I would like to go dogsledding or a glacier hike AND go to Mendenhall Glacier AND Mount Roberts Tramway.

I know in Skagway, we only have time for one tour, since we want to take the White Pass Railway.

You have been there so many times, I would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks

Did you book the 2hr or 4hr tour with Island Wings?

How did you book the White Pass & Yukon Rail......with the ship, with Chilkoot, some other way????

I am considering doing both of these, and would love your input.

Thanks

I did the 2 hour excursion with Island Wings in 2008 and 2009. Is the 4 hour the one that does the "bear" excursion? I'm not familiar with that excursion.

In 2007, I did the White Pass with HAL - up to Fraser on the train and then back to town on a big bus with a stop in Liarsville - some might like Liarsville - I thought it was a silly, touristy waste of time.:p In 2008, I did the 7 1/2 hour excursion with Chilkoot. Small bus from Fraser on up to the Yukon and back to Skagway - recommend Chilkoot. I didn't have the best time - really awful weather - on the way back to Skagway the fog was so thick that you couldn't see over 10 feet - was glad our driver was very familiar with the road!:eek:

Liarsville, thanks for mentioning Liarsville. There happens to be a Toursaver for it this year; $45 for 2. Gold panning and salmon bake (and maybe some silly drama skit thing). No go? I would have done it if they had only let you drive yourself there.

BQ...

Is it possible to book 2 (or 3) tours in a port? In most of our stops we have between 9 and 13 hours

For example, in Ketchikan, I would like to use Island Wings for a floatplane to Misty Fiords. AND I would like to go to Saxman Village to see the totem poles AND have time to wonder a bit on my own

In Juneau, I would like to go dogsledding or a glacier hike AND go to Mendenhall Glacier AND Mount Roberts Tramway.

I know in Skagway, we only have time for one tour, since we want to take the White Pass Railway.

You have been there so many times, I would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks

You can take as many tours as you want. :) (and have time for!!). With extended port time, plenty of options are available. Schedule with this mind.

For Ketchikan, book either an early of late flight, if of interest, there are several walk up operators of Saxman Village tours at the dock. You might want to arrange this in advance, however with your priorities. In Juneau, you'll want to consider cobooking a glacier dog sledding with a Mendenhall direct drop off/pick up. Saves an hour in transit time. The other direction, you would take the shuttle bus. IF the transfer is not available from the vendor, then consider taking a cab direct. This would work with 2 of the available vendors and not the third. Use Mt. Robert's as a fill in and decide when there, since there is no point in heading up is not viewable. But, determine for yourself, what is of most interest- Mendenhall or Mt Roberts, I'm making assumptions.

Liarsville, thanks for mentioning Liarsville. There happens to be a Toursaver for it this year; $45 for 2. Gold panning and salmon bake (and maybe some silly drama skit thing). No go? I would have done it if they had only let you drive yourself there.

It's enjoyable for many, totally fake recreated gold camp. :) The half price coupon would be worth it for the salmon bake, perhaps.

Archived