How High The Waves.....

jax

when the QM2 encounters a storm? Do the lower decks get immersed in ocean waters? Will I feel like a fish in an aquarium on deck 4 ? Just checking. A gal needs to know when to brush up on her swimming lessons.

Sorry I was speaking of the waves perhaps slapping up against the lower levels on the outside of the ship. Is this an exciting but not dangerous event when the weather situation limits ship board activites?

On our recent trip some waves rolled past the Golden Lions deck 2 windows. Our stateroom forecast showed 30ft plus waves.

On deck 4 there wont be a problem but you get a great view. My favourite deck to stand and watch a raging storm..... in hull cabins...Genius (for a transatlantic).

Fred & Sian.

Also, like the previous poster, we encountered a storm on our Oct 23rd crossing, which was apparently the worst storm the QM2 had gone through in her five years of crossing the Atlantic, according to Captain Bates. My husband was in the Commodores Lounge on deck 10 (I think), and with those 30 foot waves, at one time the bow disappeared into the ocean and water actually hit the windows of the Commodores Lounge. Quite a ride. That was the night one thousand didn't show up for dinner in the Britannia Restaurant.

But the QM2 is the only ship to be on in a gale like that.

Don't worry and enjoy the ride.

I've had several cabins on deck 4, once in a storm on a crossing. Your balcony will be very wet with pools of water around and the glass door and windows might also be wet but you will very little movement.

Also, like the previous poster, we encountered a storm on our Oct 23rd crossing, which was apparently the worst storm the QM2 had gone through in her five years of crossing the Atlantic, according to Captain Bates. My husband was in the Commodores Lounge on deck 10 (I think), and with those 30 foot waves, at one time the bow disappeared into the ocean and water actually hit the windows of the Commodores Lounge. Quite a ride. That was the night one thousand didn't show up for dinner in the Britannia Restaurant.

But the QM2 is the only ship to be on in a gale like that.

Don't worry and enjoy the ride.

Yes, it was also the roughest North Atlantic crossing many of the former QE2 crew, now on QM2, had experienced, so it must have been a real corker! But I must agree, if you're crossing the Atlantic in stormy weather, the ONLY ship to be on - other than QE2, of course - is QM2. She's built for it, takes it in her stride, enjoys it. Look at puny Oasis, 2 days late because of the weather, poor wimp!

Yes, it was also the roughest North Atlantic crossing many of the former QE2 crew, now on QM2, had experienced, so it must have been a real corker! But I must agree, if you're crossing the Atlantic in stormy weather, the ONLY ship to be on - other than QE2, of course - is QM2. She's built for it, takes it in her stride, enjoys it. Look at puny Oasis, 2 days late because of the weather, poor wimp!

It was a real corker. We were behind on QE2......

Have a look at the second half of this.

Regards, Colin

Colin

I have seen this before and we were on that crossing! As Cmdr Warwick said it was the Maiden voyage into New York, but I can tell you that it was April 2004. At one point there was some doubt if we would arrive in Manhatten on time, but of course we did.;)

For those of you who may be making a crossing in the near future, if a talk by the Officers "A Virtual Bridge Tour" is an option, do go. They show some stills of this voyage of huge waves breaking the bow, but the lecture is also very informative.

Must get another TA booked to look forward to.:)

We had one bad day when we went by the remains of hurricane Dan. It was very windy with almost no rain. The wind and seas were coming at about 40 degrees to the bow on the starboard side. During lunch, waves & spray would occasionally hit the windows in Brittania with a big bang. The wind would sometimes grab the spray and throw it up onto deck 7. It was fun sitting in the buffet at breakfast watching water get throw up and onto the deck. I never went up to decks 8, 9 or 10 so I don’t know how high it went.

The other fun part was watching the water slosh around the pools. Guy with squeegees would run around pushing the water back into the pools. At the spa I used the digital scale and weighed between 100 and 260 pounds depending on where we were in the up/down motion.

By late afternoon it had died down to a slow roll. I used seabands on my wrists and felt fine most of the day. The only time I felt sick was while trying to use the computers in Connections. Looking down at the screen while being shifted about started to give me a bad headache. I took an afternoon nap and was fine by dinnertime.

As Cmdr Warwick said it was the Maiden voyage into New York, but I can tell you that it was April 2004. At one point there was some doubt if we would arrive in Manhatten on time, but of course we did.;)
I know. I was there too. Its my video:D

I have seen this before and we were on that crossing!
This is part 2 of 6. Check out the others, you might see yourself.

Regards, Colin.

I know. I was there too. Its my video:D

This is part 2 of 6. Check out the others, you might see yourself.

Colin

Nice to to know the maker. We have watched all 6 parts, as it rekindled memories of a fantastic trip.

Actually, we think that we have espied ourselves briefly in Part 2, on the dance floor near the band; my husband in a white tux!

One thing we never found out about that voyage was why one night after an announcement by the Cmdr when all jollity ceased, we went back to our cabin to find deck 6 had the huge watertight doors activated so the ship was compartmented. Do you remember or know the reason for this? That was the night of the first storm, and we had trouble staying in bed. Next morning in the restaurant there seemed to be more broken and flying crockery than breakfasts making the tables.

Thanks for putting your efforts on the web, I am sure these clips were appreciated by many. On returning home and seeing them we were quite surprised at the amount of damage you recorded. Glad we were on the QM2 that night and no other ship.:D This is what (very occasionally) makes an Atlantic crossing an adventure.

We went on our first cruise - a transatlantic voyage on QM2 in April and encountered force 9 winds and large waves, but even in our deck 12 stateroom the ship barely moved. What a fantastic liner!

Just returned from our second cruise, a caribbean on the Emerald Princess. The sea appeared to be benevolent, but the ship rocked and rolled most days...the difference between a cruise ship and an ocean liner?

I love that ship!

One thing we never found out about that voyage was why one night after an announcement by the Cmdr when all jollity ceased, we went back to our cabin to find deck 6 had the huge watertight doors activated so the ship was compartmented. Do you remember or know the reason for this? That was the night of the first storm, and we had trouble staying in bed. Next morning in the restaurant there seemed to be more broken and flying crockery than breakfasts making the tables.

That brings back memories. The fruit bowl in our cabin taking a header off the table in the middle of the night, followed a few moments later by the TV in the next cabin.

The long slow breakfast, with some awful noises coming from the galley. At one point there was a horrific crash which turned out to be a rack full of trays of glasses going over. Any food in the immediate area (all the bread and rolls) had to be disposed of and new supplies brought from the bakery which slowed things down even more.

Re: the watertight doors. Was that the night of the fire? Don't remember any announcement by Commodore Warwick but we did hear the "Code Bravo" calls. The sound & light guy had left a shaver plugged in in his cabin and it took a nose dive into the toilet bowl. Water + lectrickery = short circuit (why a circuit breaker didn't trip I don't know), which led to a small fire. The sprinklers apparently caused as much damage as the fire/smoke.

Incidentally the average wave hight was reported as 45ft. with one wave estimated by the Officer of the Watch at 70ft. The whole ship shuddered when we hit that one.

Regards, Colin.

We just got off the QM2. We hit a storm that Captain Bates reported was the worst he had encountered on the QM2. Waves buried the bow numerous times, over 33ft waves. Deck 4 should be fine. Sitting in the pub on deck 2 showed the fury of the storm. Also of interest is that the QM2 needed to slow down speed to 20kts. Captain Bates reported that other ships in the area were "dead in the water" just trying to ride out the storm and unable to make way. Our cabin was on 11th deck, midships. A great, fun ride. Commadors, in the bow...deck 9, was pretty empty. We lost a bottle of wine and a champagne glass to the storm and an announcement by Captain Bates asked for everything to be removed to the floors, as it was sure to end up there anyways. We loved the voyage. The QM2 is a remarkable vessel with an amazing Captain at the ship's helm.

Hi,

I also got off QM2 yesterday having had this great trip. My stateroom was located on deck 4 and was the third inhull balcony from the bow.

The balcony was unusable during the storm, because of the spray of the waves. After the storm was gone there was a white crust of salt everywhere. A little bit later all was cleaned by the crew.

After doing such a journey you know the difference between a liner and a cruiseship!

Frank

Thanks Colin for posting that link. I watched your others also. I remember hearing how the waves crashed against the Pub windows on that maiden crossing. I experienced it myself on the Oct 23, 2009 crossing. It was awesome watching the room go dark. Was a fun ride, but glad I was on QM2 and not some other ship.

Denise

Hi,

After doing such a journey you know the difference between a liner and a cruiseship!

Frank

How true Frank...and I heard wonderful reports on your trip from my dear friends from Hamburg who were on with you....wonder if you ever bumped into them....

We had the great pleasure off seeing your beautiful city this summer when my husband and I returned to his family roots in Bremen for the first time,in the company of those good friends from Hamburg who had helped us find family he never knew he had there. It was a thrill to walk the streets of the Schnoor knowing his beloved Grandfather had done that many years ago. I just fell in love with the Schnoor and hope to return someday.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour...

2010....the “Affair” is indecisive, but back to QM2 for 14 days somewhere

Frank so pleased your home safe and sound, none of us will ever forget the worst storm this beauiful lady sailed through.

Last night we were all treated to a wonderful lightning show.

still 8 mores days to go, 40 days booked for next year now and looking way ahead to 2011 and hopfully world cruise in 2012.

Frank, hope to meet you again soon

rob

• 2 weeks later...

The waves on the 13th November were also engulfing the Chart Room on Deck 3 everynow and again a rogue allegedly broke over Deck 7 closing all the outside decks. Later that day one rogue hit the Commodore Club, causing many casualties in the Bar (the bottles of spirits!). It was quite a ride and I wish I had been comfortable enough to make it up the Commodore Club late that afternoon, but I was feeling a bit under the weather!

Sue

Archived