Anybody take the upsell then give it up?

boowaaccaa

Ok--we took the upsell. Cat 8A (L shape) for Ocean Suite (Cat 11)--$150 pp.

Now there is a sale that you can get any balcony (8A through 8F) for $190 less then we paid for our 8A cabin. So the big question is should I call Carnival and go back to a regular balcony (I am sure the L shape is gone) for that kind of difference (total $680 between the 2 of us).

Would Carnival even do this.

Will they only offer an OBC? (Cruise is paid in full)

I am asking here becuase it seems that everyone gets a different result when they call Carnival.

Thanks for any tips or ideas.

No personal experience with this...but I would think that once you take an upsell it would be no different than if you had just booked that cabin initially.

If you are after final payment I doubt there would be any going backwards. Same as if I wanted to downgrade from the 8M I have in a couple weeks. Not going to happen.

You were happy with the price you paid for the OS so I say just go and enjoy the cabin and VIP boarding! :)

Thanks for the responses. Since it is the middle of the night--I can't call Carnival--so I will have to wait and see what they say in the morning.

I should be grateful to have gotten a suite for a price we are happy with but if we had of know the prices were going to go down so much...or in other words if I had of known I was paying $660 total ($190 for the price drop we could have got plus $150 each for the upsell x 2 for $680) for the upgrade rather then $300..we likely wouldn't have done it.

Many times when you get an "upsale" it is because someone else has requested that exact cabin you have and are willing to pay a premium for it. In some cases they actually make money putting you in a higher cat.

Could be, however, two other people that I know of on our cruise were also offered the upsale and took it--I think both of their orginial cabins were 8D.

Did you book early saver originally? I'd be surprised if they let you downgrade at this point. But if you aren't early saver, you wouldn't have been eligible for the price drop initially, so I'd be totally shocked if they let you downgrade and give you the current rate.

I am early saver.

I booked the cruise almost 2 years in advance to get the L shaped cabin--I grabbed the early saver program when it became available approximately 1 year before this cruise.

I reluctantly booked the suite--but I did chose to do it. The rep convinced me what a great deal it was. I was really looking forward to having the suite. I guess it is just a case wishing I owed a crystal ball to see when cruise prices drop! ;) ---If I didn't take the upgrade I would have been extremely to have my L shape for only $479. Maybe I am just being greedy.

I--If I didn't take the upgrade I would have been extremely to have my L shape for only $479. Maybe I am just being greedy.

I think you are having buyer's remorse. Somehow, I don't think Carnival is going to allow you to downgrade and then get the lower price too. If the price hadn't gone down, I am guessing you would have been happy getting a suite for such a low price. What if the price for the suite went up? I don't think you would be looking to pay the higher price, right?

I think you are being a little greedy, but you do what you feel you have to. Sailing in a suite is awesome and if you don't let this bother you, I am sure you will enjoy it. Good luck.

I think you are having buyer's remorse. Somehow, I don't think Carnival is going to allow you to downgrade and then get the lower price too. If the price hadn't gone down, I am guessing you would have been happy getting a suite for such a low price. What if the price for the suite went up? I don't think you would be looking to pay the higher price, right?

I think you are being a little greedy, but you do what you feel you have to. Sailing in a suite is awesome and if you don't let this bother you, I am sure you will enjoy it. Good luck.

I think that if it were only $100 or something it could be considered buyers remorse--but at $680 (for the 2 of us) ...I think it is a little different. BUT that is only my opinion. Buyers remorse would be, IMO, if all stayed the same and I regreted paying what I did for the suite. This isn't the case. I do not regret that part--I am disapointed that my original cabin went down soooo much (we are talking almost $400 here) and it happened in less then 2 weeks after I was asked to do the upsell.

The question regarding the price going up isn't really relavent becuase I booked early saver and hense am entitled to lowest price. Now before someone flames me on that point--I am aware that I still have the best price on the suite. Though it is no where near the 50% off the upsell rep told me. (It is now $100 off the suite price)

Thanks for your response though--I do like to hear all sorts of opinions...even if you don't agree with me! ;)

Just an update for anyone who is interested.

I was waiting for the confirmation in writing but it just came---

Our L shape cabin was gone. :( BUT I expected that.

So we took the last 8N cabin (Aft-view Extended Balcony)--which was still cheaper than our price on the 8a (but not as cheap as the 8a is now--but after all this I was still hoping for a somewhat special cabin).

all of the price difference is being put on our OBC. So now we have a big OBC but we already booked our excursions and bought drink coupons!

Who knows if I made the right decision or not but LOL I need to get over it (!) and have a nice cruise! :D Hopefully the lines won't be too long at embarkation!

Well at least you have a special cabin again, even if it's not a suite or "L" shaped cabin.

On a personal note, we are booked in one of the 8A "L" shaped cabins on the Victory in December of next year. I sure hope it drops to $479 next year for us. I will learn from your story for sure and hold onto that cabin regardless of any upsell.

Well at least you have a special cabin again, even if it's not a suite or "L" shaped cabin.

On a personal note, we are booked in one of the 8A "L" shaped cabins on the Victory in December of next year. I sure hope it drops to $479 next year for us. I will learn from your story for sure and hold onto that cabin regardless of any upsell.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if it is common to get the upsell call and then have the original cabin go on a BIG sale shortly after..?

In the past Carnival would offer to credit your credit card or give an OBC. I did that numerous times in the past. This has changed. Now, if you are an early booker you are entitled to a refund, but if you booked less than 5 months out they will only offer you a better cabin based on the current prices. I recently upgraded from inside to a balcony for $50. each.

Archived