world cruise HK-Dubai

westmount

I've been waiting a year and a half since our last Seabourn cruise and March 16th isn't that far away. Is there anyone out there in cruisecritic land doing this trip, as I haven't been to the orient in ten years and I'm not quite sure what to expect on this trip. Some of the ports seem pretty far from the main cities, so I'm not sure whether to book a hotel in Bangkook or do the day trip thing. If anyone has researched the trip with excursion ideas, I'd like to hear about it. By the way, are there good rooms on each floor and bad rooms, as the A2 to A6 differences seem pretty hard to figure out.

rgds

westmount

If you are doing this on one of the sisters, the ship docks close to town and shuttles you right into town. If you are on the Odyssey, I think they have to dock in the cargo port. I did a Bangkok to Beijiing itinerary on a larger ship and the cargo port is at least an hour away. Last year I was on HK to Singapore on Seabourn and we were quite close in. Assuming you are on the sisters, take the shuttle into town, take the train to the Shangri La stop and then the passenger boat up the river . An all day pass will allow you to get on and off at the floating market, the Grand Palace, and most of the other sights. We took a taxi to Shangri La and I wouldn't advise it. The traffic was so horrendous, those who took the train got there in less than half the time. The second day we went to the Jim Thompson house and museum, took the tour at the house, (which was really interesting) shopped there, and had time to go to the main store and do more shopping.

Hope this helps. Wish I were going again.

The OP is in the world cruise which is on the Odyssey. As I understand it she will dock at Laem Chabang (sp?) which is quite a long drive away from Bangkok ( about 2 1/2 hours.) Westmount, if this is your first time in Bangkok I would suggest getting a hotel for the night to allow you to spend your time sightseeing instead of riding in a bus or car (check out the Peninsula right on the Chao Praya River.)

As for cabins they are Vs, not As and the main difference between V1, V2 and V3-6 is that the balconies on the first two are partially glass and mostly wall. On the latter categories the balconies are all glass providing a better view. The other difference is, of course, the location. V1, V3 and V4 are more forward while V2, V5 and V6 are midship.

westmount I was in Bangkok in 2008 as part of Crystal World Cruise and I agree with wripro's advice.

The drive is about 2 hours (could be longer depending on traffic) so I would stay over at a hotel. We stayed at the Oriental Hotel which was quite nice as is the Peninsula. Service in these hotels is outstanding.

Give yourself a lot of time to get back so you don't miss the ship.

My wife and I like to walk around on our own but I will tell you this is a strange city. We did end up doing it on our own though. We found their skytrain to be good. We used that to get to a few places and also walked We know a couple of seasoned travlers who used those little cabs. Do not use them. They ended up getting taken from one place to the other then another cab took them to the next place and they never got to their destination. It was all about getting money from them. And one other piece of advice. Be careful if you are stopped in the street by anyone. We were warned about this and it is so true. Twice we were stopped by two different men in a suit and tie. They could tell we were tourists and that we were trying to figure out where we were gong (one time looking for the skytrain and another time trying to figure out what direction to go in as we were walking). They were not trying to help us. They were after money and I kid you not.

A few other thoughts.

In Mumbai, do a tour. Do not go out on your own. The city has around 18 million people with about one third living in poverty.

Cochin was more organized than Mumbai and a lot smaller. I would still do a tour as well.

Singapore. Wonderful city. I know you are there for just one day. We had two days there and want to go back. If you had a couple of days I would do it on your own but with one day a tour would be better. It is one of the safest cities in the world and very safe. Lots to see. The orchids were beautiful. There is a very nice Chinatown. The govenrment buildings are very interesting. There is also little India but you will be seeing the real thing on other port stops.

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) was enjoyable but again very crowded. A lot of traffic. I would take a tour or two.

Keith

I have to qualify this by saying I have never cruised to Thailand, but I have multiple trips, all over the country, including many trips to Bangkok. I'd start with the recommendation to stay in the city vice the trip back and forth to Laem Chabang. One reason is time preservation, the other is that some of the most wonderful hotels in the world are in Bangkok. The Mandarin Oriental and the Peninsula are both in the T&L top 100 hotels in the world, and surprisingly reasonable. As far as sights to not miss, I'd start with the Grand Palace & Wat Phra Kaeo -- Temple of the Emerald Buddha. Hire one of the tour guides inside the grounds -- all are retired Thai Army officers, and speak good English. They will explain the Thai version of the Ramayana -- the Ramakian. You should also take one of the river cruises that depart from all of the riverside hotels. I'd also see, as someone mentioned, Jim Thompson's House. He was the westerner who opened Thailand's silk market to western tastes, so be sure to visit his enormous store for some unique pieces, from men's silk shirts to picture frames. Every price point, from silk lipstick cases, to designer dresses.

For dining, it is impossible to beat Le Normandie in the Oriental. On the other end, for the adventurous, the street hawkers crank out great food. One of my (safe) faves is Som Tam -- a shredded green papaya salad, with a spicy sweet and sour dressing. Nothing that can spoil, so it is safe to eat on the street. Also look for mango and sticky rice for dessert.

Besides Jim Thompson's, there are some real bargains, as well as real rip-offs, on rubies and sapphires, both of which are mined in Thailand. Write me privately for a name of a reputable jeweler whom I have done business with for years, and loves Americans (will even take a US check, if you can imagine).

In case you can't tell, I love the place. You'll have a great time, no matter what you do.

Excellent point from scm about Jimmy Thompsons. I meant to mention that. I purchased several ties there both regular ties and bow ties that I can wear on formal night. And I was able to get matchng pocket squares for most of the ties.

My wife purchased several silk purses and what is so great about them is that they fold up for easy packing.

There are many other nice items there. All of high quality silk and at reasonable prices.

Keith

Although I agree completely with SCM that Le Normandie is an extraordinary restaurant (I ate there twice when I spent 10 days in Bangkok some years ago) the cuisine is French and you can dine on that on the Odyssey. I'd suggest dining at one of the wonderful river side Thai restaurants at either the Oriental or the Peninsula just to taste the local cuisine.

I agree with Wripro. When we stayed at the Oriental we did look at the various menus from all of the restaurants at the hotel. In the end, we decided that what we wanted was local foods and I am glad we made that decision. We dines at an outdoor restaurant at the Oriental and sat at a table that overlooked the Chao Phraya River. We sat there for almost three hours. We took in all of the scenery and all of the activity in the river and enjoyed a very nicely prepared meal of local dishes. And the service was wonderful.

Keith

... just to taste the local cuisine.

A couple of thoughts on that. First, if you are adventurous at all, and want great Thai, I'd head to Chinatown and try the stalls along Yarowat Road. But I had the good fortune to get my intro to street food from a Yale grad, fluent in Thai, who had lived there. For those that aren't that "sporting", two reliable choices -- Lek Seafood, near all of the tourist hotels off Silom Road, and almost under the Chong Nonsi Sky Train stop. The more scenic choice is either location of Baan Klang Nam -- both are right along the Chao Phrya river, and very popular with Thai families. Taxis all know the way. http://www.baanklangnam.net/

Slightly spiffier, is Bo.Lan - Sukhumvit Soi 26. Owned by two young chefs who came back to Thailand from the only Michelin starred Thai restaurant in London. Any of the three will be excellent, and an alternative to the safe choices in the hotels.

Thank you everyone for the Bangkok tips. I been there a couple of times, many years ago ( actually did a great 24 hour stay at the Oriental) between flights, but it is different with spouse , no hidden stories intended. As far as the rooms on the ship are concerned, I am booked V5 their choice I guess, but I haven't seen any comments concerning the differences on the Oddyses in the front, back, or middle to know if there are "good" rooms and "great" rooms, presuming no "bad" rooms on this baby. As far as India is concerned, actually have been to Mambai airport three times without ever getting out, so looking forward to seeing that great city, but so far I have no plans to backpack around as much as I'd like to. I guess it's getting to that time where I better start planning our excursions off the ship, not really enough time to see what needs to be seen, but that's the fun of it all.

rgds

Have a look at City Discovery sightseeing tours and attractions-an excellent comprehensive web sight covering in detail the places mentioned here-we use them as well as some Seabourn tours-very much cheaper. Also if you do your own tour you can always take a packed lunch from the ship with drinks with you.

Kind regards

Tony

Archived