Connie Reposition Reveiw-Short

cruisingdelt

I have been home almost a week so it is time to give my quick reveiw of our cruise (10/30-11/9, NJ to Miami).

Embarkation at Cape Liberty was very slow. If you were not an elite member you did not get the short line. We arrived about noon. Several people who arrived later said the lines were non-existent. It appears later may be better.

The Connie is showing some age in the form of worn carpets, etc. You have to look a bit to see this but it is there. How this would ruin anyone's cruise is beyond me since the age was more than made up for by the cleanliness of the ship. It was, by far, the cleanest ship we have ever been on. The crew and staff were outstanding. Friendly, attentive and eager to please. No crew member mentioned the questionaire more than once and one crewmember stated that if we were not pleased with any aspect of her service to state it so she could learn. Putting the tips on the stateroom account was great and when I asked to modify the mounts I filled out a form and it was done. I increased some of the gratuities.

The food was excellent but some changes were noted. In the MDR the menu now lists soup and salad as one category. No problem if you order both but they are listed together so many people tend to order one or the other. The main dish also came as a smaller serving. DW and I thought this was nice since we never used to finish the entire meal. If it is not enough, just ask for more. If your waiter is good he/she will beat you to the punch. Gede was great and always checked that we had enough. As mentioned by others the cheese course in Ocean Liners is not an automatic any longer. They will provide cheese if you ask so don't be shy. Everything else at OL was very good. The breakfast and lunch buffets continue to be very nice and offer a great variety.

A word about the wine program. While you were not able to reserve it pre-cruise you could do so on board. There were three packages: Sommelier, Captain's and Collectors. They were at a discount to the individual bottle price, about 5-10%. The prices ($) for the 3/5/7 bottle packages were as follows:

S- 95/158/221

Captain's- 129/215/301

Collectors- 345/577/805 (includes a few extras)

The entertainment is still X's shortcoming. The Broadway show is getting old but will only be on the Connie for another 6 months. The international show was much better. Shows what the same cast can do with better material. The individual performers were good to very good. A vocalist, vantriloquist and a pianist. Perry Grant and his loyal followers were in Micheals club every night (2 shows) except for the night his show was in the theater.

The Martini Bar and Chanpagne bar were overflowing with elite members getting free drinks! I was a paying customer. One more cruise and I get a some free drinks. A word to the non-paying drinkers, don't forget to tip the waitstaff. They are still providing their excellent service.

We loved the itinerary. Alternating sea days and port days. Made the trip relaxing.

Celebrity may be cutting a non-essential corner here and there but we all must remember they are doing that to keep the overall price down. Still a great product. We booked another cruise while on board. Less that 50 weeks to go. I'll try to answer any Q's

Cruisingdelt: did you notice if there is the morning continental breakfast served in Michael's Club?

And, how did they work the free drinks provided as a perk for Elite, in the Martini Bar and Champagne Bar?

We will sail in Jan. (along with Linda, Happy Cruiser).

Another question: do you recall what movies they had in the Cinima?

We have also just returned from the repo on Connie. We loved this ship, being our first time on her. We loved the Spa atmosphere, and the spa cafe offerings for breakfast and lunch. Nice healthy alternatives to going into the main buffet and overeating! We are not usually "spa" people, but we signed up for the Persian Garden and absolutley loved the feel of our own private spa. There were hardly anyone else ever in there. My hubby and I enjoyed being able to "spa" together! FYI, Hubby never spends money on things like this, but he loved every minute of it, and felt it was well worth it! We were in there every day!

I agree, the itinerary was great with port and sea days alternating!. Too bad they are changing this to a 6 day next year. We absolutely loved our Corner Family Ocean View, the aft location and the feeling of being on our own private Yacht. We were able to sun on sea days, and have romantic moonlit dinners with the guitarist playing above at night. What a wonderful, true 2nd honeymoon for our 25th!

I was not sure that I would enjoy the Labadee stop, but was actually very impressed. I had been to "private island" stops with Princess, and it always was so overcrowded when you dump 2-3 thousand people in one place. At Labadee, which in Haiti, which I was worried about, it has been nicely developed for the passengers enjoyment. Several seperate beach areas, so everyone is not in one place. Over water cabanas, if you are lucky enough to get them. Alot of trees, and shade. The water was perfect temp and beautiful. Even though they are currently buildng a dock, they were using tenders at this point. Fortunately, they have their own, open air ferry-type boats used for tendering. Not the usual, closed tenders. That made it much nicer to go ashore. All in all, Labadee was a pleasant surprise, as far as I am concerned!

My only complaint..................yes the automatic tips are handy, but since we dined in our stateroom 3 or 4 nights out of 10, we thought our stateroom steward deserved more of our dining stewards tips..........He had to haul those very heavy trays up 6 flights! I had asked to adjust the tips, but was told that we could not subtract..........only add. Of course we gave our room steward additional, but I think that we could have deducted a little from the dining steward since we were not there those nights! Fortunately, I did not notice that the service was declining, which we found on other lines after automatic gratuitiies were implemented.

I also found that some additional fees, such as $15 for wine tastings was a bit much.........In the past, I had found that if you attended a wine tasting (in past $5) that the fee would be credited if you purchased a bottle. I did not hear that being offered, but I may be wrong. Also, additional costs for exercise classes????? Come on...........

We had a truly wonderful cruise, and look forward to "X-ing" it again!

It is my belief that if you do the automatic tipping, the tips are also given to those workers up in the spa cafe, and also in the buffet area.

What FV did you have? We will be in 8166 for our Connie cruise in Jan. and hope to do a nice dinner out on the balcony.

Thanks for your reports, Chooztocruz and Crusingdelt. Looks like the Connie will be in good shape.

My only complaint..................yes the automatic tips are handy, but since we dined in our stateroom 3 or 4 nights out of 10, we thought our stateroom steward deserved more of our dining stewards tips..........He had to haul those very heavy trays up 6 flights! I had asked to adjust the tips, but was told that we could not subtract..........only add. Of course we gave our room steward additional, but I think that we could have deducted a little from the dining steward since we were not there those nights! Fortunately, I did not notice that the service was declining, which we found on other lines after automatic gratuitiies were implemented.

When we cruise we take 50 or 100 singles (one dollar bills). We use this for room service tips as well as to have the correct change for small in port purchases. I learned this from cruise critic and I also learned it was the usual thing to do to tip extra for room service as it is delivered. There have been many threads on room service tipping.

I believe they have a service elevator so don't think he lugged the tray up six flights of stairs.

The regular tips go to those who help you all day at all of the dining venues not just your waiter in the dining room at night.

Glad you had a great cruise.

I believe the minumum wage for service people (wait staff) in SC is $2.42 an hour barely enough to cover the taxes on their tips. They have to report income of a minimum of 10% of the checks (bills) they present to customers for meals. Waitstaff has to tip the bus (assistants) people out of his or her tips. They sometimes have to pay for a customers meal if the customer leaves without paying. I have three children who all helped with their college expenses by waiting tables. I know of their experiences.

This is what the cruise industry has fashioned its pay scales after, the traditional American way. It is what it is. Stiffing the staff that waits on you hand and foot is just cruel in my opinion. The tips they add to your account are a minimum. We usually end up tipping our steward and waiter and his assistant extra. However there have been times that we did not because we didn't feel that the service was special and felt the minimum tips were enough.

On any ship I would point out poor service automatic tips or not.

I do realize that their wages are minimum. In the past we have really gotten to know our wait staff and learned about their lives, and realize that they truly depend on their tips. I am not trying to STIFF anyone. We do usually give extra to the stewards. In this particular instance, since we did not dine in the MDR 4 out of 10 nights, and not any other meals, and did not receive "super outstanding" service that our room steward deserved even more and the MDR steward a little less. I know he did not climb stairs wih the tray, but he did have to carry it for 6 flights of elevator. Even after our plates were empty, my hubby had to move it from our balcony to our room, and could not believe how heavy it was. (FYI, he regularly weightlifts) My complaint is that we are not given the option. Thats all. If I had found my service to be sub-par to poor, I would definitely want to adjust! It is not right that bad performers should get the same as anyone else. That is the point of Tips! (to insure prompt service)

A few years back on Princess, when auto tipping started, they gave the option of adjusting up or down. I don't know if that is so today, but again, having the option would be fair. At that particular time, we noticed that service had diminished quite a bit, and it seemed that they knew they were getting tips anyway, and did not care to provide quality service. I am sure that is not the case with all providers, but we definitely noticed the difference. We did not adjust our grats, we ate there every night, and they do depend on those tips to live on.................we probably even gave more.

Again, not trying to stiff anyone. We will always take care of those who take care of us, and handsomely. My only complaint in all this, is that we don't have the choice. What if we never went to the dining room and ate in our stateroom every night???? I just would like the choice! Thats all.

It is my belief that if you do the automatic tipping, the tips are also given to those workers up in the spa cafe, and also in the buffet area.

What FV did you have? We will be in 8166 for our Connie cruise in Jan. and hope to do a nice dinner out on the balcony.

Thanks for your reports, Chooztocruz and Crusingdelt. Looks like the Connie will be in good shape.

We were in 9156 on the corner. What a wonderful spot! you not only get the aft/wake view, but can see all the way up the side of the ship from the side. I have been wanting an aft balcony since they first started having them. It never panned out.............this was the best ever! incredible size. the only other balcony larger was the penthouse suite! The dinners on the deck were fabulous. I love the fact that you can order the MDR menu in the stateroom. A few of the nights were very breezy, but we just pulled the table under the overhang, and it wasn't too bad. Some of the nights were just perfect. Full moon, romantice music from the seaside bar, and wonderful food and our room steward's service! AND of course, my wonderful hubby to share it with.

Also just back from the Constellation Repo and thought I'd add my impressions (previously posted) . . . all in all a very good trip.

Connie, contrary to some reports, looked in good shape. Yes, it has rust spots that are repaired and painted and some furnishings are a bit worn, but heck it's a ship at sea with thousands moving through it.

Crew, overall, were fantastic! Unfortunately, we had waiters, at two tables in the MDR that left a bit to be desired, missed courses at almost every meal. The first was just plain unfriendly although the second was pleasent and the second assisitant was quite good with having the "extras" ready. That was a real contrast with the rest of our experiences with crew, particularly our cabin attendents who were just superb. The bar waiters provided good service without being too present or pushing drinks.

I had high expectations for the food going in. All too often they were not met. Many dinner entrees just did not match up to other mass market lines we cruised on. Big things - lamb chops tough, pasta dried out, beef dishes (non steak) tough, sauces congealed and vegetarian foods did not have complete protein. (And we were told by our waiter there is no longer a special vegetarian menu.) Little things - you can't make a decent tea without very hot water, the mozzarella with the caprese salad was the funkiest cheese I ever saw (downright unappetizing) and the tomatoes were awful too, some of the main courses were the most unusual version of (pick a name) that I have ever been served and sometimes not fresh salads (even moldy, greens should not have black spots). It seemed like at every meal, some one at our table for 8 was sending something back. All in all the "new" menu gets a thumbs down.

The buffet was another story, a good one overall. Hot water for tea! Food that both looked like what it was labelled and could be "inspected" prior to serving. Sushi in the early evening was a nice treat. The waffle, french toast, pancake station was good. Minor gripe - X should rearrange the layout so folks not wanting fresh cooked waffles don't have to either wait in line or "jump" the line. Management should also consider a "map" of the layout of the sections to make life a little easier.

Entertainment was very enjoyable . . . a variety of music at various times of the evening. And all talented even if not to my taste. We did experience some issues with getting through the meal in time for late shows are activities in "Bar at the End of the Earth."

Embarkation and disembarkation were handled well and painlessly (except for having to leave).

We met a lot of really great people among our fellow passengers - CCers and nonCCers. But what is it with some folks? Saving loungers while ashore? Taking cushions off the wooden deck chairs on the Promanade Deck to put on a "soft" lounger. No need to get indignant when asked to share.

...all in all a very good trip, a comment I have have made about every one of the cruises I have been on. Will I cruise Celebrity again? Probably. Was I "Wowed" to the point I will make Celebrity my only cruise line in the future? No.

Same trip, two opinions re the food quality in the MDR? I wonder if the waiters just pick out poor plates of food when they pass down the food line?

CPT Trips: did you have early or late seating? What table?

I would hate the dried out pasta, tough meat, etc. and also not being served various courses.

We love to try all the eating options for dinner, the MDR, Alternative on 10, Specialty, (having second thoughts there), dining on our balcony, and even just having the pasta, pizza buffet in the evening for a casual dinner. I assume that all these options are still available?

Re the Specialty: on our Millie cruise this past Sept. friends dined there and their bill was over $300! They each had the wine paring at the extremely high add-on of $124 pp. + the $30pp + the tip.

We sail on the Connie in Jan. 14 day Panama Canal

Same trip, two opinions re the food quality in the MDR? I wonder if the waiters just pick out poor plates of food when they pass down the food line?

CPT Trips: did you have early or late seating? What table?

Grace- I'm CPT's DW. We had late seating. Initially, we were seated upstairs, starboard side. The waiter was so bad that we asked to be moved after the third night (which was DH's birthday, which even though we arranged in advance and reconfirmed with the waiter the two nights prior- was completely ignored). (OK-that's a trivial matter, but we had other, more annoying, dinner issues with the waiter and his assistant- no water to drink, missing courses, very rude behavior). When we asked to be moved, we were assigned a table downstairs at the foot of the stairs. That waiter and assistant were good (pleasant dispositions, reasonably competent, etc). We did still miss an occassional course but finally realized that he just didn't understand our English (he smiled and nodded a lot though!). When we pointed to each menu selection as we spoke it to him, our courses were usually correct.

And yes, I do think the food line in the kitchen was not well coordinated with the wait staff's "pick-up" of food. My rack of lamb (uncuttable) came out hot but on a cold plate with cold mashed potatoes and veggies (refrigerator cold). Others at our first table had that experience on a previous night. Some of the vegetarian dishes had been prepared too early- sauces were congealed with a skim over them and anything sticking up from the sauce was dried out.

Also, I'm used to everyone at the table receiving each course at about the same time. At both of our tables, all of one selection was brought out and served (to all of that waiter's tables). Then, another, etc. The wait inbetween was considerable (one time- 15 minutes); how far away can the kitchen be?

Other dining options: Yes, you will have several different options. The waiter at our second table "lost" one whole table after our first night with him. I don't know what the controversy was about, but by the end of that dinner, the maitre d' hotel, waiters, etc were called over and a heated discussion ensued; they never returned to the dining room. Also, we met several couples who "gave up" on the MDR and were eating in the sit-down part of the buffet for dinners; they raved about the food and service. Side note: we really enjoyed the sushi (in the buffet) prior to our late seating.

As for two different experiences (cruisingdelt & us), yes, it happens. Taste is subjective, plus our issues with waiters really affected our MDR experience. I've rarely returned a course selection; this seemed to happen frequently on this cruise (not just us, but at each dinner, at least one person returned an item as inedible). Also, in close to 30 cruises (none on Celebrity), this was the first time we ever asked to change tables (never even considered it before!). Other CC'ers encouraged us to do so, but we approached the Asst Maitre d' hotel's desk with guilt and embarrassment- only to find a very long line of unhappy passengers who also wanted to change their tables. He handled us all with grace and competence; when he saw who our waiter was, he did not act surprised at all-he just sighed, asked us if we would consider giving him a few details, and said he would make sure the waiter was watched again. (And those remaining at that first table did say that the Maitre d' hotel did hover and that the waiter's attitude did improve.)

Am I picky? Yes, I realize that, but I expected better from Celebrity. I'm probably one of the few passengers who can say that they cruised for 10 days and lost a pound.

I was not sure that I would enjoy the Labadee stop, but was actually very impressed. I had been to "private island" stops with Princess, and it always was so overcrowded when you dump 2-3 thousand people in one place. At Labadee, which in Haiti, which I was worried about, it has been nicely developed for the passengers enjoyment. Several seperate beach areas, so everyone is not in one place. Over water cabanas, if you are lucky enough to get them. Alot of trees, and shade. The water was perfect temp and beautiful. Even though they are currently buildng a dock, they were using tenders at this point. Fortunately, they have their own, open air ferry-type boats used for tendering. Not the usual, closed tenders. That made it much nicer to go ashore. All in all, Labadee was a pleasant surprise, as far as I am concerned!

I agree! This was our last unvisited "private island" (having visited all the other cruiselines'). We had a wonderful day there. The peninsula is beautiful, spacious and clean. The water was delightful. We too managed to get one of the cabanas (up the Bell Tower hill) (they're at Barefoot Beach- at this time: first come, first served). The tram was convenient (although nothing is that far away). In addition to the pier construction, they're also building some additional structures (apparently another barbeque location and a flea market?).

If you like to swim, you can swim from Barefoot Beach around the point with the old Bell Tower over to Nellie's Beach. There is some seagrass along the way but not enough to be much of an issue. Don't forget to pick up a map at the Information Stand when you disembark the tenders.

We spoke with a few passengers who would not leave the ship- they didn't want to go to Haiti. They definitely lost out on a marvelous (and safe!) day at the beach.

We are pleased to read all of the positive reports. We will cruise the Equinox in AQ in a couple of weeks; and, we will cruise the Connie for 14 nights next year in 6144. Both the Constellation and the Millennium have been our favorite ships, but I am sure the Equinox will join that group. We also love the auto tipping procedure; and, we also add additional tips. With regard to Michael's we intend to tip as each drink is presented, since this will remove the problem of seeking out the servers on the last or next to last night of the cruise. This is a procedure we followed on the Radiance of the Seas in the concierge lounge; and, it was well received by the concierge.

Thanks Jersey Gem for the explanation. It sounds like your experience with service was awful, (MDR). I agree that the Alternative on 10 (nice sit down with service) is really nice and quiet, and the food was always freshly prepared. We usually skip the final formal evening in the MDR and eat on 10.

Too much hoopla and waving of napkins for us!

In recalling a cruise in 07 on the Connie, we too had a very poor waiter, and yes, it was Starboard side! We laughed, as we saw him mulling around on the opposite side of the DR....completely lost.

I have a map of the Connie MDR, and want to request a certain table, 524, due to a good location away from the rail (noise). That's why I asked what table you had.

I think they took all the experienced waiters and put them on Solstice or Equinox.:D

A word about the wine program. While you were not able to reserve it pre-cruise you could do so on board. There were three packages: Sommelier, Captain's and Collectors. They were at a discount to the individual bottle price, about 5-10%. The prices ($) for the 3/5/7 bottle packages were as follows:

S- 95/158/221

Captain's- 129/215/301

Collectors- 345/577/805 (includes a few extras)

The Martini Bar and Chanpagne bar were overflowing with elite members getting free drinks! I was a paying customer. One more cruise and I get a some free drinks. A word to the non-paying drinkers, don't forget to tip the waitstaff. They are still providing their excellent service.

Good evening,

We met on CENTURY Norway July'08. Nice ''reading '' you again.

Thanks for comments on wait staff and the free drinks process for Elite folks...We must indeed remember these crew members still provide cordial service ,even with a 15% auto-tip on a bill of ZERO....:rolleyes:

Re; the wine packages: thanks for sharing that info. I presume they add 15% on the invoice when they hit your shipboard account with the package purchase. The Sommellier's package looks like ~~32.00/bottle.

Is that right or do they have some ''variations''.

Cheers

;)

Sorry, but I don't remember the number- but it was a table for 10. Our first waiter had two tables for ten- way too many people (and courses) for him to handle. It was away from the rail by the window, half-way down. And I agree that the MDR can be noisey at times (maybe more so on deck 4).

Also, several table mates (at both of our tables) had previously sailed on the Connie and also mentioned that many waiters and asst waiters were new and some even seemed to be "in training." We were constantly assured that the current dining situation was unusual for Celebrity and that we (new to X) shouldn't judge the line by this cruise's experience (we won't!).

And I do agree with the OP- all other crew members were very friendly and helpful (Hilda, our cabin attendant, was wonderful). So all future Connie cruisers: don't worry about your cruise; we did have a great time in spite of our dining experience and would certainly sail her again. .

Cruisingdelt: did you notice if there is the morning continental breakfast served in Michael's Club?

And, how did they work the free drinks provided as a perk for Elite, in the Martini Bar and Champagne Bar?

We will sail in Jan. (along with Linda, Happy Cruiser).

Another question: do you recall what movies they had in the Cinima?

Breakfast in MC-Don't know

Your sea pass card has in big letters a designation that you are elite. On each table there is a list of the brands of liquor you can order.

Can't help you with the movies, didn't attend any, sorry

JerseyGem-Sorry you did not enjoy your dining. Taste are subjective and I will admit that I did not have the dishes you did not enjoy. Our waiter actually steered us away from some dishes and I do think the lamb was one of them. We were at table 520 and our waiter's name was Gede. He served each course to the 6 of us at the table within 2-3 minutes of each other.

Good evening,

We met on CENTURY Norway July'08. Nice ''reading '' you again.

Thanks for comments on wait staff and the free drinks process for Elite folks...We must indeed remember these crew members still provide cordial service ,even with a 15% auto-tip on a bill of ZERO....:rolleyes:

Re; the wine packages: thanks for sharing that info. I presume they add 15% on the invoice when they hit your shipboard account with the package purchase. The Sommellier's package looks like ~~32.00/bottle.

Is that right or do they have some ''variations''.

Cheers

;)

Claude,

Hello and nice to hear from you. Yes the 15 % gratuity is added. Shocking! The Sommelier Package gives a choice of A Prosecco, a Pinot Griogio from Italy, a fume blanc from Sonoma, a Chardonnay from Livermore Valley, gruner veltliner from Austria and a riesling from Germany. One Rose from Cote de Bleue. A Pinot Noir from Sonoma, Tampranillo from Spain, a Cab from Livermore Valley, a Zinfandel from Sonoma and a Merlot from Chile. CHoose any 3, 5 or 7 bottles for the prices I listed.

Our good friend Pagonis was the Master of the Connie until August of this year when he stayed in Europe for his off time.

Our good friend Pagonis was the Master of the Connie until August of this year when he stayed in Europe for his off time.

But, he will be back on Constellation for our Christmas/New Year's cruise. :)

... in close to 30 cruises (none on Celebrity), this was the first time we ever asked to change tables (never even considered it before!). ...

I am on the Constellation on January 3rd for a Panama Canal cruise. We did a Baltic cruise on the Constellation in 2004 and the MDR had issues then, as well. We changed tables on the third night but not because of poor service. Rather after three nights, my wife were always alone at the table for eight. We assumed that the other six people always ate elsewhere and planned to never come to the MDR, so, on the third night, we requested to be moved to another table and our food experiences were OK and somewhat like what has been described here, but a bit better. Some items did arrive late or cool. And while we found the quality generally acceptable it was certainly not a highlight of the trip. One lady at our table sent something back almost every night. As you said, people's tastes and tolerance vary. Consequentially, we are embarking on our January 3rd cruise with lowered expectations. I can only hope that we will be pleasently surprised instead.

FYI - The change in cruise food in the MDR on that 2004 cruise so surprised us that, in 2004, I initiated a food poll to see what the Consensus was. You can see the results at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=61683

Claude,

Hello and nice to hear from you. Yes the 15 % gratuity is added. Shocking! The Sommelier Package gives a choice of A Prosecco, a Pinot Griogio from Italy, a fume blanc from Sonoma, a Chardonnay from Livermore Valley, gruner veltliner from Austria and a riesling from Germany. One Rose from Cote de Bleue. A Pinot Noir from Sonoma, Tampranillo from Spain, a Cab from Livermore Valley, a Zinfandel from Sonoma and a Merlot from Chile. CHoose any 3, 5 or 7 bottles for the prices I listed.

Thanks for info. Very appreciated.;)

Ahhh....Good old ''Rockstar'' still on Connie. He's due back at the helm for the Xmas cruise. I wonder when his next '' S '' class assignement will be.....

keep well

Cheers

:)

Archived